Respected Contributor

Frizz is dry, damaged hair looking for moisture.

My hair changed when I moved away from standard shampoos and started using cleansing conditioners, sulfate-free shampoos, hair products without silicones or drying alcohols. If you're using a lot of silicones, oils, or butters, which are non-soluble in water, your hair can't take in and retain moisture and gets dry. Curly Girl: Tha Handbook, by Lorraine Massey and naturallycurly.com changed my life.

I have dry, wavy hair. Here's what I use:

I really like Not Your Mother's Naturals Tahitian Gardenia sulfate-free shampoo (drugstore) or As I Am Coconut Co-wash (drugstore) to wash my hair. I use Sally Beauty Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm as my rinse out and leave-in conditioner, a generic for Matrix Biolage conditioning balm that runs about ~$10 a liter. My favorite gel is Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel. It's great to prevent frizz and even keeps me frizz-free when humidity is over 90%. I also like Aussie Instant Freeze gel.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Happy2000twou wrote:

I have thick, wavy, dry hair and I do flat iron it and put product in it and it still gets frizzy. I can’t use WEN. Can anyone recommend a good shampoo, conditioner and product that really works. I am not looking to get a keratin treatment. Thank in advance!🥰

I am using a Korean product from hsn called moremo or something like that.It is a very thin liquid that you apply after shampoo and leave on ten minutes and rinse.This has worked better than wen and all of the other expensive products I have tried.

@dex  Hi.  I bought this recently from Amazon.  My bottle says 10 SECONDS.  Are you leaving it on for 10 minutes??  If so, how are the results?  Personally, 10 seconds is nothing - I leave it on for about 2-3 minutes but never as long as 10 so I want to know.  I usually think "if a little's good, a lot is better!!!"

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@dex wrote:

@Happy2000twou wrote:

I have thick, wavy, dry hair and I do flat iron it and put product in it and it still gets frizzy. I can’t use WEN. Can anyone recommend a good shampoo, conditioner and product that really works. I am not looking to get a keratin treatment. Thank in advance!🥰

I am using a Korean product from hsn called moremo or something like that.It is a very thin liquid that you apply after shampoo and leave on ten minutes and rinse.This has worked better than wen and all of the other expensive products I have tried.

@dex  Hi.  I bought this recently from Amazon.  My bottle says 10 SECONDS.  Are you leaving it on for 10 minutes??  If so, how are the results?  Personally, 10 seconds is nothing - I leave it on for about 2-3 minutes but never as long as 10 so I want to know.  I usually think "if a little's good, a lot is better!!!"

I have been leaving it about ten minutes.It really coats the hair and helps keep my frizziest at bay.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help for my frizzy hair

[ Edited ]

I have fine, thin, curly hair that is frizzy.  I have tried every product imagineable to help.  No blow drying, no flat ironing.  WEN, no WEN, smoothing products, changing flat irons, hair spray, texture spray, serums, and on and on.

Finally, after being back to work for several months I decided something had to change. I was fighting with it every single morning. It might look good when I left the house, but just an hour or two later it was a mess.  Out of desperation I tried the express Brazillian Blowout.  I know, I know, you said you weren't interested.  But honestly, it was THE best decision I ever made and I cannot believe I waited all these years to give it a try.  The change in my hair is AMAZING, and I will definitely be doing the full treatment that will last approx. 6 months.  Cannot rave enough about it, and the compliments I've received, and the time it saves me! If there ever was something "life changing", this was it for me.

I also use the Brazillion Blowout shampoo and conditioner and it's really nice.  I use Stylish Protect Thermal Mist (that may actually be the salon's own line).  That combination is working great.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland   Hello. Yes, I went the CGM for many years..swore by it, spent hours reading labels and tossing products that were approved but did not work.

You're correct about frizzy hair needing moisture. When I finally stopped driving myself nuts looking for the correct products from shampoos to conditioners to styling products to leave ins to mouse or gels and just started deep conditioning twice a week and went for frequent trims, I achieved the same results. Heat styling and shampooing too often does the most damage IMHO. 

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal   I hope your stylist warned you that this treatment contains formaldehyde releasing chemicals that are harmful and can cause irritation to skin and scalp. My salon will not do them because of possible irritation to stylists and clients. 

Honored Contributor

The Keratin treatments at the salon (similar to the Brazilian Blowout but last longer) were a godsend when I moved to the south. 

I stopped getting them but I recently found the Moremo products, Water Treatment Miracle 10 and the Essence Hair oil. I’ve also had good luck with dpHue vinegar rinse. 

Valued Contributor

@avid shopper  - What kind of rollers do you use?  I'd like to give my hair a rest from blow-drying and flat ironing at least once a week.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help for my frizzy hair

[ Edited ]

It's a battle but I use  a mixture of Conair Magnetic Rollers, slippery,  ( on top) which are not magnetic in any way. Not sure why they call them that.  With bobby pins. And I use velcro rollers  ( back and sides) which will break hairs and I try to be really carefully with them.  The magnetic rollers are about $20 at Walmart. 20191017_142940.jpg

Respected Contributor

Shanus@ Sorry about the mispelling. My hairdresser wouldn't give me a Keratin treatment. 

I do a leave in but years ago when I lived in Manhattan I went to a great salon (they gave a deep discount to teachers.) Found salon through a professional model who went out with neighbor.

I had virgin hair, thick and coarse. I had a great short cut. He would also put oil on hair and put me under a dryer. Then he'd dampen it and blow it dry. He said not to wash out conditioner. I have a lot of WEN oil and some Josie Maran. I use a microfiber towel to dry it.

I also sleep on a silky pillow and only wash my hair once a week. It never gets oily, just dirty.

I found that minimally using blow dryer evens out the flat iron.