Valued Contributor

@Happy2000twou wrote:

I have thick, wavy, dry hair and I do flat iron it and put product in it and it still gets frizzy. Thank in advance!🥰

I have exactly the same type of hair as you and mine is two inches below my shoulder.  I haven't blown dried my hair in years, use a deep conditioner weekly which allowed to soak into my hair for 15 minutes then use morrocan or argan oil to keep in moisture.  You must use a heat protectorant BEFORE using any heating tool on your hair.  Period.  All the above what your are not doing and why your hair is frizzy.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Happy2000twou , 

My hair is thick and heavily textured like yours. I do use WEN, but I pre-dilute it before I apply it.

WEN is so dense, and my hair just 'grabs' it, not letting it spread and do it's job.

By pre-diluting I find it both spreads, then later rinses out, much more easily. 

WEN dealt with my lifetime of frizz.

Chaz talked to a caller on air who also pre-dilutes to get WEN to spread through her daughter's thick, fuzzy hair.

Respected Contributor

Shamus@what do you recommend for deep conditioning? I have had a heat cap since high school. My hair is dry and coarse. I do color but no ammonia; I'm now limiting highlights to twice a year. 

Found I can cut down on damage from heat tools if I air dry then use blowdryer for just a few minutes then use flat iron. Use product my salon uses for flat iron. Only use flat iron about once a week. I only wash my hair once a week. Use salon shampoo (I change around) conditioner, WEN leave in and WEN gloss.

When I have my roots done (about every five,six weeks) my hairdresser puts Morrocanoil on wet hair and I sit under the dryer. Save money and it's great for my hair. So I guess I'm already getting a deep conditioner every five weeks.

Heat protectant is Framesi.

Trusted Contributor

If you can embrace this idea to not flat iron your hair anymore, I think that would be best for you. I have similar hair and I think technique is more important than products, although I do tend to use higher end products--not Wen. Generally, I shampoo twice, use a combo of hair conditioners, add an oil to the ends after rinsing, never towel dry, only blot a little bit before my next steps.

Next steps--putting a few products into the palms of my hands--It's a Ten leave-in conditioner (experiment with amount), any good wave product or combo of wave products (I like Tigi Catwalk Curls and BZG Noodle Head  creme from Sally). Apply with hair dripping wet, working through hair with fingers. I then let my hair air dry; near dry, I use a blow dryer with diffuser.

Results--natural wavy/curly look.  I prefer a "bedhead" look. Of course, on occasions I may use flat iron, but not very often.

I also find a blunt cut is best, contrary to the notion that our kind of hair should be layered.

Esteemed Contributor

@Happy2000twou - Instead of using a towel on your wet hair, try using an old cotton t-shirt and just "plop" your hair up until the dripping stops.

My hair is wavy/curly/FRIZZY and I spent a lifetime trying to get rid of it. I used to get Keratin treatments every summer to combat the frizz.

Once I found Wen and gave up blow drying and the flat iron I embraced my wavy/curly hair without the frizz. I live in a very hot/humid area and I'm amazed my frizz is gone.

If you still want to blow dry/flat iron, I suggest a good quality heat protectant. However, imo giving up at least the flat iron would help.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Shamus@what do you recommend for deep conditioning? I have had a heat cap since high school. My hair is dry and coarse. I do color but no ammonia; I'm now limiting highlights to twice a year. 

Found I can cut down on damage from heat tools if I air dry then use blowdryer for just a few minutes then use flat iron. Use product my salon uses for flat iron. Only use flat iron about once a week. I only wash my hair once a week. Use salon shampoo (I change around) conditioner, WEN leave in and WEN gloss.

When I have my roots done (about every five,six weeks) my hairdresser puts Morrocanoil on wet hair and I sit under the dryer. Save money and it's great for my hair. So I guess I'm already getting a deep conditioner every five weeks.

Heat protectant is Framesi.

@lavendar   I purchase any drugstore deep conditioner. Garnier work great. No heat cap, just put it on shampooed hair and cover with a cheapie shower cap. I buy a bag of 25 at Sally's. After about 1/2 hr. (I try to do it when I can leave it on longer), rinse well. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Frizzy hair. I never use a regular towel...micro fiber instead and always sleep on a satin pillowcase. Helps w/ wrinkles, too. Hair and skin slides along satin and doesn't drag on cotton. 

Respected Contributor

Solutions Leave-In Conditioner that is sold at Great Clips.

Trusted Contributor

I'm really surprised by all of the WEN lovers.  I have dry, coarse, wavy hair and tried the WEN system with high hopes.  My hair took on a rather gummy texture when using WEN products and never felt or looked clean.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar   Sorry to correct, my nic is @Shanus if you need to get my attention again....Hope the deep conditioner I recommended does the trick.