Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! daughter has very long, thick, and now tangled/matted hair

My daughter is 15 and has almost waist length hair....we use alterna oil, but you could probably apply any oil to make the hair slippery. Then comb through one small section (i use my fingers to gently release a section of hair from the rest of the hair) at a time from ends to roots. I work through the major tangles with my fingers first, then We use a wide toothed comb or a tangle teaser. My daughter's hair doesnt get matted too often, but this is the technique that works for us. Just be patient and separate the sections as best you can....it will probably take a while to work through.
Respected Contributor

On 8/20/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Talk her into a hair cut, as she's going to have a lot of broken and split ends from being matted. anyway. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Bingo!

Respected Contributor

Braids at bedtime--good idea--and what about a satin pillow case? I had long hair as a teen and I tangle like crazy. Hairdresser recommended a satin pillowcase. And she will need a trim, but of course she'll worry that "too much" will get cut. It grows back...

Occasional Contributor

I have really long hair and have the same problem. I finally broke down and bought the Mason Pearson Detangler brush. It cost around $100.00. (You can probably search the Internet for a better price. I was desperate and ran out at lunchtime and bought mine at Barneys.) It works on wet or dry hair. It goes through my long, wet hair like a hot knife through butter. I bring it with me to the hair salon. The salon employees are amazed at how well it glides through wet hair. I've owned this brush for about four years and can't live without it.

Respected Contributor

When I was a teenager, we showed poodles. They have to have LONG coats, and ours would mat terribly. We would wrap their ear hair in wax paper, roll it up, and hold it with a rubber band. I had long hair at the time, and I used this technique every night. I would make a ponytail, and wrap it in paper towel rather than wax paper, but it worked. Never a tangle in the morning!

Frequent Contributor

Get your daughter some sateen (no, not satin) pillow cases. Regular pillow causes cause friction on hair as you move during sleep which leads to breakage, tangling, knotting, etc. Sateen pillow cases allow the hair to easily slip around without any friction resulting in less tangling, etc. I had really long hair when I was younger that was always getting tangled, etc, and a number of hair dressers recommended sateen pillow cases.

Honored Contributor

Buyer the Tangle Teezzer (only one Z but it wouldn't post the word). Saved my hair. I have the same length and thickness; this glides through wet and dry hair.

Also, she either needs to braid, pineapple or twist her hair up at night. Long hair requires time and effort else, cut it short.

Respected Contributor

I had super, fine, super thick past my bottom hair, but I cut and donated it. I always slept with it braided. Those Victorians knew what they were doing when they slept like that. I would either get it cut due to damage from being matted and start fresh braiding it at night, or thoroughly spray with detangler, California Baby is GREAT, or good old olive oil, and comb out in small sections from bottom to top, then never not braid it again!

Best wishes!

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/20/2014 roxiegirl said:

I like using ""it's a 10"" miracle leave in lite and this brush A232380 from QVC.

I love ""It's a 10"" miracle leave in. My hairdresser used it on my hair and I went right out and bought some. I got mine at CVS. Very nice product and it smells divine.

Valued Contributor

My hair is down past my shoulders close to the bra line. I used to have the same problem, and now have been using a satin pillow case. I would highly suggest that as it greatly reduced the problem.