Honored Contributor

Re: Help - Summer hair

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

Excuse me thought @I am still oxox@ interested in hearing suggestions. Never said for her not to straighten her hair. Then if it were me I would definitely have salon treatment for straightening. My DD has it and her hair looks incredible. 

@I am still oxox 

Failed mentioning finding best hairstylist! Took me months after moving. Yes!! Mine is worth every penny. Before finding almost cut my hair!! Omg!  

Love my shoulder length, able to create different styles. 

Best of luck! Enjoy summer. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity @Shanus

Hi  I am looking for suggestions, thank you even if it's not what I want it can be used at another time.

I am looking to make my Summer easier, preferably not via product not expensive treatment

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity @Shanus

Hi  I am looking for suggestions, thank you even if it's not what I want it can be used at another time.

I am looking to make my Summer easier, preferably not via product not expensive treatment

@I am still oxox  Summer easier? Do what I did....a shorter cut that’s wash and wear.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity @Shanus

Totally understand! Definitely great style makes huge difference. But! May I suggest know exactly what you want. I looked horrible in pixie! Never again. 

Right hairstylist make or break hair texture, frizzy issues and so on. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I had it cut two weeks ago and its too short, I personally will never go shorter again, when I cut it I immediatly want my hair longer again

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

My hair is similar to yours just longer. My hair has always been frizzy until very recently and tried tons of products to tame it. I second reading up on The Curly Girl Method. Curls and waves have to be treated very differently than straight hair. Many products on the market cater to straighter hairstyles. Us curlies & wavies have very different needs for our hair than what a lot of products offer. Even really expensive products. Don't go by the price, look at the ingredients.  If we don't use products best for our texture, we can end up with frizzy, dry & weighed down hair. There are whole websites dedicated to the Curly Girl method and Reddit also has a really good subreddit for curlyhair. Search the Curly Girl method.

Honored Contributor

@segrl21

I do not like they way I look with my hair wavy, and I have done the curly girl thing, I would rather not go back to it

@segrl21 wrote:

My hair is similar to yours just longer. My hair has always been frizzy until very recently and tried tons of products to tame it. I second reading up on The Curly Girl Method. Curls and waves have to be treated very differently than straight hair. Many products on the market cater to straighter hairstyles. Us curlies & wavies have very different needs for our hair than what a lot of products offer. Even really expensive products. Don't go by the price, look at the ingredients.  If we don't use products best for our texture, we can end up with frizzy, dry & weighed down hair. There are whole websites dedicated to the Curly Girl method and Reddit also has a really good subreddit for curlyhair. Search the Curly Girl method.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help - Summer hair

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox, I feel your pain.  I have had Keratin treatments for years (the version that only lasts 3-4 months).  Last December, I had a lot of broken hair in front after a Keratin treatment.  My stylist is going through a nasty divorce, and I think she had her mind on other things and used too hot of a flat iron on my hair causing the breakage.  I got my hair cut shorter and haven't had a keratin treatment since (6 months).  I am going insane without one.  

My hair is gray, so even though I color it, it is coarse and wiry.  Then you add in the summer frizz, and I look like I stuck my finger in a light socket.  I have done all the things suggested here by these kind ladies as I asked for advice several months ago for this same thing.  I use sulfate/sodium free shampoo/conditioner, a microfiber towel, deep condition, air dry, heat protection in many forms...but now that it's summer with a ton of humidity, I look like a mushroom.  Even after I blow dry my hair to get it smooth enough to wear in public, it is frizzy in a few hours.  I've tried a gazillion products suggested on these boards, and none are a match for this humidity.

Just a few hours ago, I threw up the white flag of surrender and called my stylist for a keratin appointment.  I just can't take it.  One will last me about 4 months.  My plan is to get this one and then go for as long as I can without getting another one.  I was getting three a year so maybe I can get by with two a year.  We will see.  

I know this isn't what you asked about, but you may end up in the boat I'm in...nothing works BUT keratin, and you may have to bite the bullet and get it done.  The version I get that only lasts 3-4 months is $100.

Honored Contributor

have you looked into straighting,  not a Keratin/brazilian,  like AntiCurl or Silis.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear

I have  never heard of either of them 

@jackthebear wrote:

have you looked into straighting,  not a Keratin/brazilian,  like AntiCurl or Silis.