Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Scrubbed my chin to get off flakes and now...

My nose and mouth area are always flaky due to blowing my nose because of allergies. I use argan oil followed by Dimitri's wrinkle balm overnight. This helps me (the rest of my face is oily, so I avoid those areas).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

On 12/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 12/22/2014 kathoderay said:
On 12/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 12/22/2014 kathoderay said:

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, how is that going to promote healing? I'd try some aloe vera.

"One of Vaseline's original uses was healing cuts and scrapes on the skin. The occlusive properties of Vaseline seal the skin breakage. This prevents bacteria or impurities from entering the wound, allowing the body's natural healing properties to work without interruption." (livestrong.com)

It's also excellent for softening and moisturizing the skin.

From Wikipedia: In 1859, Chesebrough went to the oil fields in Titusville, Pennsylvania, and learned of a residue called "rod wax" that had to be periodically removed from oil rig pumps. The oil workers had been using the substance to heal cuts and burns. Chesebrough took samples of the rod wax back to Brooklyn, extracted the usable petroleum jelly, and began manufacturing the medicinal product he called Vaseline.

Wouldn't a natural substance like aloe vera or coconut oil if you want greasy, be less toxic?

You missed the part about how the NATURAL petroleum is processed and refined into Vaseline. It's not, contrary to what some would have you believe, just the stuff scrapped off the insides of the oil rig pumps. It is non-irritating, non-comedogenic, and excellent for sensitive skin.

And btw, it is recognized by the National Eczema Organization and is on their list of preferred moisturizers.

If one doesn't like the feel of it, that's one thing. But to call it toxic is just incorrect.

From Beautypedia:

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Good to know, thanks for the additional information. Smile

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone. Used aloe and arnica gel then went to bed with Vaseline and my chin looks so much better this morning.
Honored Contributor

On 12/23/2014 BeautyAddiction said: Thanks everyone. Used aloe and arnica gel then went to bed with Vaseline and my chin looks so much better this morning.

Hooray!

Honored Contributor

Over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream will heal that up in about 3 days and will decrease the inflammation almost right away. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Sorry this happened to you.

I did a similar thing mixing some serums I shouldn't have, my Derm suggested A&D ointment. Wonderful! Now I keep it around all the time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Thanks again. I think I have it under control.
Honored Contributor

.....try a paper bag. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. What were those flakes anyway...paint?
Honored Contributor

On 12/23/2014 chrystaltree said: .....try a paper bag. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. What were those flakes anyway...paint?

chrystaltree, I know that you like to be, um, direct, but seriously, you just sound as if you've had a bit too much "holiday cheer."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 12/22/2014 springers said: Triple antibiotic, neosporin. I had flakes when I started retin a. It should calm down by Christmas if you dont aggravate it.

I agree but I would add Eucerin Calming Relief. I used that when I burned my skin with Retin-a. It works well. Emu oil also is soothing. I did not have luck with Auquaphor which is a petroleum product.