Super Contributor

Re: Help!! SSC Vitamin A Kit...

On 4/15/2014 Irishrose136 said:

Kat, just found out Dermstore is having a sale and they sell Perricone.

20% off everything

eta: oops! They also sell PTR who is what you like. Smiley Happy

Thank you. Irishrose, I put a warm washcloth on mine, pushed to see if anything would come out, one did, the other two I put Dri Lo on and they are drying up. I have been known to scratch lightly with my nail after the washcloth then put the Dri Lo on, it just makes it work faster.

Super Contributor

The serum is the real workhorse product of the set. Even Paula's choice/cosmetic cop said it is a great retinol serum. I would just use that with whatever moisture cream that you used before (something simple without retinol or vitamin c). And the cleanser is pretty good too. I used to buy the kits because they are a better deal, but really only needed the retinol serum. Maybe by using the cleanser and serum you can at least get your money's worth.

Respected Contributor

Could someone describe what a milia is/looks like? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Milia.................the small white bumps. People often mistakenly call them "whiteheads" but they are not pimples.

From Healthline: "Milium cysts are small, white bumps (or milia when they occur in groups) that typically appear on the nose and cheeks. The cysts occur when keratin become trapped beneath surface of the skin. Keratin is a strong protein that is typically found in skin, hair, and nail cells."

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Shelbelle said:

I can tell you that the SSC 4 Million IU A Cream has always been petroleum based, could that be the culprit?

I just checked, petrolatum is still the 4th ingredient of their 4 Million IU A Cream XR Time-Released Retinol Cream. I remember back in the day using this cream as only a hand & foot cream!

Super Contributor

Milia don't form in such a short time. If they just popped up they were already developing. Also according to Paula and many other sources, petroleum is non-comedogenic, that it particles are too large to penetrate pores. You may want to look at other product that you have been using for a while and reconsider those.

Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Kind1too said:

Milia don't form in such a short time. If they just popped up they were already developing. Also according to Paula and many other sources, petroleum is non-comedogenic, that it particles are too large to penetrate pores. You may want to look at other product that you have been using for a while and reconsider those.

ITA. All ratings that I've ever seen rate petroleum as having a zero on the comedogenic scale.

And given the nature of milia , I agree that they don't just pop up. They are not formed from a pore. They're just a pocket of normal skin that somehow got indented or folded over and trapped dead skin cells.

A bit more about milia:

If you've had milia, you likely wondered if they were some kind of pimple. While many people mistake the tiny, pearl-like bumps for acne, they are not the same thing. One of the easiest ways to identify milia bumps are by how they feel.

Unlike acne, milia are rather firm, and squeezing has little to no impact on them. Also unlike acne, these bumps can show up around the eyes and on parts of the face where there aren't active oil glands. Milia also don't have the pain associated with acne when a pimple forms and then becomes inflamed and sore.

Milia occur when dead skin cells get trapped under the skin's surface, forming small, hard cysts. dults can get two forms of milia: primary and secondary. Primary is the type seen in babies, caused by skin cells that build up because they just didn't exfoliate properly. Secondary milia happens when a skin condition that leads to blistering actually damages the pore lining. Burns or severe rashes can increase the number of skin cells trapped under the skin's surface.

Sun damage is also a contributing factor to milia because it makes skin rough and leathery, so it's more difficult for dead cells to rise to the skin's surface and shed normally.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 4/15/2014 ASLTW said:

Hi Katluvr58,

I had the same problem with their Vitamin A serum back in the late 90s when I started taking my skincare needs seriously. Millia were popping up all over my face & neck!!! I called their customer service (don't even know if they still have a CS) and they told me to use their scrub. Of course I knew a scrub wasn't going to take care of the problem. I have since moved on to Perricone products which I love! I have tried different skincare brands, but always come back to Perricone products.

Can you send the products back?

asltw

ASLTW, may I ask how you were able to get rid of the milia? Did you have to go to a doctor, or did you find a self-help method? I'd love to get rid of mine.

Hi Irishrose136,

I did NOT go to a doctor for the milia. For starters I quit using SSC. I have been using Retin-A for quite a few years now and I do believe that has help immensely. I started experimenting with different skincare lines and I swear by Perricone. I know many think he is expensive, BUT his products deliver and last a long time.

asltw

Respected Contributor

Milia.................the small white bumps. People often mistakenly call them "whiteheads" but they are not pimples.

From Healthline: "Milium cysts are small, white bumps (or milia when they occur in groups) that typically appear on the nose and cheeks. The cysts occur when keratin become trapped beneath surface of the skin. Keratin is a strong protein that is typically found in skin, hair, and nail cells."

Thanks so much for your response! Very helpful.