Contributor

Help! Oily hair/scalp and break out around my hairline

Hey Ladies! My scalp has always been extremely oily and so I expected it to take awhile before I could go without washing my hair every day. But it has been months. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? The cost hurts, but the getting ready time is really a killer! I have very fine hair, but a good amount of it. I dye my hair but only a semi permanent and red highlights on the under layers. I have tried all the core formulas and the 613 and have tried mixing them, but maybe I didn't give them long enough to tell a difference. I use oils very regularly in an attempt to balance my scalp. I use the Wen styling products too. My hair cannot make it more than one day and I noticed I am getting weird break outs around my hairline that I have never had before. They aren't like normal zits either, more like those painful under ones. Any ideas?
Respected Contributor

Re: Help! Oily hair/scalp and break out around my hairline

It may not be for you. My hair is oily and can't go without washing more than a day with my current short pixie/bob. Even at shoulder length, I could only do two days. When it was down to my bum, once a week was possible, but I always brush with a boar bristle porcupine brush to pull the oils down my hair. I do wash with a volumizing shampoo and don't use conditioner. I use a bit of moroccan oil on the ends because I use a flat iron and want it to stay moisturized.

Contributor

Thanks for the response tigriss, I hope that is not true for me though! I love the products, I love the concept, and I ADORE Chaz Dean :0) It is a bummer, I know I am using enough CC, my hair is clean and fabulous day one. From the posts and segments, TT oil seems tone the way to go, but I went through a small bottle already. Anyone try the CA oil?
Contributor

Can you put your hair up on day 2 instead of washing it. I started washing every other day pre-wen and would use dry shampoo and wear my hair up. Once I started Wen, it got oily on day 2 again, but I waited it out. Now I might be able to go 3 days between with my fine thin hair. The cysts are puzzling. You may have a sensitivity or rubbing too much on your scalp. How long did you give each formula individually before moving to another?
Contributor

I had to stop using Wen-I was getting bumps & pimples,etc on my scalp every time I used it. I loved how my hair looked but I think the menthol irritated my scalp.

Respected Contributor

There's a thought. Try the kids version. There isn't menthol in it.

Respected Contributor

I think Tigriss might have a good idea for you. The kids formulas are free of as many things that could irritate you as they could be. Also, you said you had tried all the core formulas. Does that include BGT? If the kids formulas work for you try BGT too If iBGT doesn't work, then you'll know it's menthol.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Contributor

Hmm, a lot to think about. You all rock! I wish I could remember if i broke out using the TT oil, all I noticed was my hair needed daily cleansing. I have tried going that extra day or half day, could that be causing the breakouts? CAKaren, I am sure it wasn't long enough on most formulas, I had the small bottles of each. The ones I got more of are TT, SAM, BGT, LAV, and 613. The oil I am currently using is SAM. Blueyesny: was it your whole scalp or just sections? Mine are pretty much by my temples on my face and just past the hair line.
Contributor

How are people getting hard returns to work? All my posts are jammed together no matter how I format them
Honored Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Kjelle said: I think Tigriss might have a good idea for you. The kids formulas are free of as many things that could irritate you as they could be. Also, you said you had tried all the core formulas. Does that include BGT? If the kids formulas work for you try BGT too If iBGT doesn't work, then you'll know it's menthol.

I think Kjelle's suggestion is a perfect way to go. Here's how the formulas break down:

* wheat-based -- SAM, TT, FIG, LAV, CA

* soy-based (no wheat) -- POM, 613 & all Seasonals

* rice-based (no soy or wheat) -- BGT & Kids formulas

Special characteristics of certain formulas:

* no menthol -- Kids CCs

* nut-free -- 613, BGT, Kids CCs & SOB

* amino acid complex & extra skin care ingredients -- 613, BGT & Seasonals

--

It may turn out that you have sensitivities to certain ingredients. If that's the case, then the best way to figure out where the problem lies is to try one CC at a time. Try each CC a few times to determine if you seem to be having a reaction to that CC.

It could also be that you are having a reaction to a certain essential oil in a particular formula or formulas.

Best of luck!!

-- bebe Smile