New Contributor

Help! Nurse ripped off skin on my cheeks! 😡

I've been using 3% retinol overnight along with some other things and my skin has been glowing! Yesterday had oral surgery and the nurse taped the air flow hose to my face with what can only be described as super glue tape. When she ripped off the tape, I was left with two painful scars that are now red and prominent! What can I put on them to heal and fade?

Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Nurse ripped off skin on my cheeks! 😡

I used silicon patches on a post op scar a while back. They worked beautifully and are available over the counter.

New Contributor

are the ingredients just silicon? I've not heard of these.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes!  So sorry that happened.  I think the retinol is at fault there, not the nurse.  We even have to stop any of that kiind of stuff for awhile before to get brows waxed so as not to rip the skin.

Valued Contributor

I think it is unlikely you have developed a "scar" within a day.  If there are any "open areas" that are bloody/draining, I would apply an antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin.   If it is just red, I would apply something like Aquaphor Healing Ointment.

Honored Contributor

@Corgmom ---omg---that just made me shudder!! I'd get some Vit E capsules, poke them with a pin , warm that liquid in your hand then put some on your skin----vit E will help heal raw skin. Did that when I went thru radiation on my cancer breast ---mixed it with a little olive oil too, with permission from my rad dr of course,   I have scars from the surgery but no burn scars. 

Esteemed Contributor

We are always warned about this before waxing.  So it makes sense the tape was irritating.

If by scar you mean it was actually a bleeding wound, didn't they give you aid for that?

Respected Contributor

@Corgmom It sounds to me like it was more than just aggressively ripped skin. You may have had an allergic reaction to the adhesive (or perhaps latex?) which burned the surface of your skin.  Then the skin surface was easily abraded when pulling off the tape. Using the retinol may have added to the sensitivity.  

It can happen to me with EKG electrode pads, and some bandage tapes, even latex band-aids.  Within an hour, my skin is inflamed.  Be sure to tell health care folks in the future that you had such a reaction.   

Honored Contributor

I am allergic to adhesive glue......It sounds like you are, too.   You need to check that item on the pre-op questionnaire.    Right NOW, place a call to the oral surgeon......He gave you his cell phone # in case you have after-effects of the surgery.......and get some professional advice.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

An antibiotic cream like Neosporin will definitely help.