Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

I do not have uninsured motorist only under insured.

I guess $500 worth of bills will not get paid so i can pay the deductible. makes me mad

Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

On 2/28/2015 kcladyz said:

I do not have uninsured motorist only under insured.

I guess $500 worth of bills will not get paid so i can pay the deductible. makes me mad

are you sure?

Almost no one has just Underinsured without Uninsured. In some states both coverages are listed as Underinsured. Please check with your carrier.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you weren't injured but I agree with others that you should still get checked out.

Regular Contributor

I'm sorry this happened to you. I cannot offer any more helpful advice than the ladies on this board already have but I just wanted to say how disgusting i think it is that the perpetrator fled the scene. You could have been seriously injured and this person did not give a second thought about it. Several months ago, my two young children and I were also hit in a pedestrian accident. The driver only pulled over because there were witnesses. When he emerged from his car he did not apologize. He looked at my screaming children who were laying in the street and told them to calm down. Thank goodness we all walked away with only a few cuts and scrapes ( although as others mentioned, my serious aches and pains did not surface until several days later). But I know there are a lot of accidents where people are seriously hurt or do not survive. Glad that you are ok.
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for putting up with my rant.

I guess I needed to let off some stress.

Even tho the car was not looked at yet I was proactive in applying for a $500 loan to cover the deductible ( wanted to have my ducks in a row) and they may just approve it, also they proactively asked me if i want a debt consolidation loan!

I been wanting one but every other bank denied me. Its stupid that you have to have good credit for a debt consolidation loan but those that have good credit dont need them lol

Occasional Contributor

I'm reading a lot of misinformation in this thread. I actually work for in a claims office in auto insurance. Uninsured Motorists coverage varies by State Law and if you elected to carry it. I'm in Indiana, the only way I can use UMPD is if I know who the other party is, it can't be used for a hit and run other party unkown in my State. as far as your deductible goes, a deductible is not based on fault. Any time you use your policy for repairs, your deductible would apply. This would be whatever your collision deductible is. However, the best way to get tge correct information regarding your coverages would be your own insurance company, they can review your coverages and let you know what coverages you have, and if UMPD would apply for you.
Respected Contributor

On 2/28/2015 gingersnaps said: I'm reading a lot of misinformation in this thread. I actually work for in a claims office in auto insurance. Uninsured Motorists coverage varies by State Law and if you elected to carry it. I'm in Indiana, the only way I can use UMPD is if I know who the other party is, it can't be used for a hit and run other party unkown in my State. as far as your deductible goes, a deductible is not based on fault. Any time you use your policy for repairs, your deductible would apply. This would be whatever your collision deductible is. However, the best way to get tge correct information regarding your coverages would be your own insurance company, they can review your coverages and let you know what coverages you have, and if UMPD would apply for you.

I am in Missouri.

it does not seem uninsured motorist would apply if we do not know who the person is that hit me. I know the guy that took my information with progressive said sometimes there will not be a deductable i they decide to go after the other person. lets keep fingers crossed on this one

Honored Contributor

you always have to pay the deductible for repairs to your vehicle whether or not it was your fault. Like medical insurance- the deductible is what you need to pay first and then they cover the remainder or a % of the remainder. But you are always responsible for the deductible. You perhaps may get that deductible back if the insurance company finds out who it is and is able to prosecute that person but ultimately it is your responsibility.

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 gingersnaps said: I'm reading a lot of misinformation in this thread. I actually work for in a claims office in auto insurance. Uninsured Motorists coverage varies by State Law and if you elected to carry it. I'm in Indiana, the only way I can use UMPD is if I know who the other party is, it can't be used for a hit and run other party unkown in my State. as far as your deductible goes, a deductible is not based on fault. Any time you use your policy for repairs, your deductible would apply. This would be whatever your collision deductible is. However, the best way to get tge correct information regarding your coverages would be your own insurance company, they can review your coverages and let you know what coverages you have, and if UMPD would apply for you.

oops just saw this, yes this!!

Respected Contributor

ITA in general, gingersnaps. I spent 41 years in the auto claims business.

UM coverage is heavily influenced by case law on a state to state basis so it is impossible to say exactly how the OP's coverages will apply. UM BI will definitely apply in a hit and run situation if there is an injury. UM PD...I don't know Missouri law, so not sure. Some states will allow UM PD if there is corroboration from another party of the hit and run vehicle. Some not.

~Enough is enough~