Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

Sometimes after an accident when you think you are okay, pain sets in. I would go to the hospital as soon as you could and be checked out. JMHO.

Valued Contributor

Re: Help! I was in an automobile accident and need advise from anyone that work in insurance or experienced a hit n' run

Sorry -- I didn't remember that you had called the police. Always a good thing to document an accident!

Regular Contributor

I was an Insurance Agent for about 20 years. If you have Uninsured Motorist coverage on your car then the repair to your vehicle is covered, but there is a deductible. If you elect to take the money for the repair they will keep the deductible out of the payment they give you. If you bring it to a shop, they will pay for the repair, minus the deductible. If they can find out who the person was that hit you they will try and get the deductible back for you. The amount of the deductible is different for different companies and states.

Your medical will be 100% covered if you open an uninsured motorist claim.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/27/2015 kcladyz said:

I did not go to the hospital for I had no injuries. I was stationary at a red light and the impact pushed my car some 10 feet.I was wearing a seatbelt. I called the police. no whitnesses but hopefully it is on someones camera. I would assume the insurance companies and police will look into that. They stated some instances they will not charge a deduct for they will sue the other driver but noone pulled over Smiley Sad

I think it really depends on your policy. I have a deductible waiver rider/clause on my policy. If they accident is not my fault, they waive the deductible.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 kcladyz said:

I did not go to the hospital for I had no injuries. I was stationary at a red light and the impact pushed my car some 10 feet.I was wearing a seatbelt. I called the police. no whitnesses but hopefully it is on someones camera. I would assume the insurance companies and police will look into that. They stated some instances they will not charge a deduct for they will sue the other driver but noone pulled over Smiley Sad

You probably should be checked out for a possible concussion. I was rear-ended a few years ago and went to a clinic at the urging of my husband even though I did not feel that I had any injuries. Turned out I was concussed.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2015 Hoovermom said:

Sometimes after an accident when you think you are okay, pain sets in. I would go to the hospital as soon as you could and be checked out. JMHO.

Hoovermon is very correct--I have had several accidents and thought I would be okay and declined to go to the hospital when the paramedics asked if I needed to go. Not even 2-3 hours later, I left my house and headed for the ER--I felt like I had been run over by a truck. It is always best to get checked out because you never know....

I am sorry you went through this and hope that everything gets worked out. Just make sure to take care of YOU! Smile

Super Contributor

I'm sorry about the accident and hope everything works out well for you. I've had several whiplashes from being rear ended. Sometimes the symptoms aren't felt right away, but a few days after the accident. I agree that it's best to go to a Dr. or clinic and get checked out. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

oh kcladyz {#emotions_dlg.crying} I am so sorry!

I bet you are so mad and worried. What an awful thing to happen. One thing is, you cannot rear end yourself. The insurance company will see that. Most rear end accidents are the fault of the person doing the rear ending.!!!

I am sure you reported this to your insurance.If not do so right away, even if you have to call on Saturday. You should also make a report to your police dept. If you have uninsured drivers coverage that will help/ Otherwise, sadly you will be responsible for co pay. Hope all works out for you.

ETA

I see you called police, good for you. There may be a camera around there. I have known people who have put an ad in paper or bulletin board asking for witnesses to your accident. Name the truck, make , color etc and the date and time. You would be surprised. Sometimes a "friend" of the person who did it will turn the person in. Also you could check repair shops around your town. To see if a truck has been repaired. My friend did that, and she did find the car that hit her. The owner of the shop called police or her, I can't remember. But the paint from my friends car was on the other vehicle. They were sighted and charged with all sorts of things and had to pay restitution including pain and suffering. It wasn't a lot, but it did make her feel a bit better . She was so fired up over the hit and run, she wouldn't give up. We live in a smaller town so that helped.

Contributor

My daughter (25) and I were rear ended by an UNLICENSED, UNINSURED immigrant who did not speak english. She had 2 children in the car. My daughter was the driver and we were stopped in 'stop and go traffic' because it was the beginning of rush hour. She rammed into us going 50 miles an hour. Needless to say, my daughter and I were not doing well. I am doing better then my daughter. She saw the car coming and reacted. She turned the wheel to the left so that our car would not hit the car in front of us. After the impact, my daughter went to check on the lady who hit us. They appeared to be ok. We have no fault insurance. That being said, my daughter and I sustained injuries and our insurance company said we are reaching our 'max'. My daughter might not be able to work for a while. Her back is still hurting her tremendously. Yes, we went to the ER, filed a report etc....BUT that lady who hit us had no insurance. So in the matter of seconds our lives changed. Our much loved AND PAID FOR minivan was totaled. Yes, it was an older BUT it was in great shape. We now have debt. We had to purchase a new vehicle. My health and my daughter's health are now compromised. I know my daughter's back will NEVER be the same! My back will NEVER be the same. We will have issues in the future because of this rear ending. Our bodies did not get the 'memo'.........insurance companies put a 'time' limit on what they think injuries should take to heal. Well, injuries can take months, or years to heal. Injuries also affect the WHOLE body!

We are not doing so well. I am mad and so very angry. I will end here before I say something I would rather not say...........

Please go the doctor. Cover yourself because no one else will. You need to make sure you take care of you. I know what you are going through! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Respected Contributor

If the other driver is a hit and run, your Uninsured Motorist coverage may apply.

Some states provide Uninsured Motorist coverage for your property damage as well as medical if you are injured. Some states only have the UM for injury coverage.

If you do not have UM for your car coverage, you may have to pay your deductible. Some states and companies will waive the deductible if you are not at fault. There are a lot of variables based on your state and your insurance carrier. It's a good idea to report the claim and ask your claims adjuster all these questions. They will be able to be specific for you.

~Enough is enough~