Esteemed Contributor

Help I think Glycolic dried me out

I am not sure what happened. I had been using PC 10% glycolic with no issues. But now my face feels like sand paper in spots. Any suggestions besides moisturizing to get it back to normal.
Honored Contributor

Re: Help I think Glycolic dried me out

@ccassaday wrote:
I am not sure what happened. I had been using PC 10% glycolic with no issues. But now my face feels like sand paper in spots. Any suggestions besides moisturizing to get it back to normal.

@ccassaday  Who knows what it is?  It could be a combination of products you're using or how often you're using certain ones.  Have you added anything new to either your AM or PM routine?  Have you recently started with RetinA?  

Esteemed Contributor

No new products. It's been this way for a month. I started using the it tsv but my face was like this before I got them. That's why I ordered it hoping the moisturizer would help.
Esteemed Contributor

I accidently left lid to the bottle of AHA off. Could it had hurt the ingredients.
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I accidently left lid to the bottle of AHA off. Could it had hurt the ingredients.

This will cause the AHA to become stronger. Also, if the AHA is old then it can become more concentrated, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

This will cause the AHA to become stronger. Also, if the AHA is old then it can become more concentrated, too.

Oh. I guess I need to throw it out. It's not super old but I bet the lid was off for a few days. Any recommendations to helping the skin get back to normal. I was going to use my PTR rose mask but forgot this morning and have already done my skincare.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:
No new products. It's been this way for a month. I started using the it tsv but my face was like this before I got them. That's why I ordered it hoping the moisturizer would help.

@ccassaday If you haven't used a liquid glycolic before this, 10% might be too strong for you, for daily use.  Set it aside for now.  Get yourself a gentle physical exfolliant, like Fleur de Lis Rice Enzyme Powder (Amazon, and get the vanilla scent - others don't smell so good) or Emminence Organics Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant (also on Amazon).  Whichever one you choose, use it couple times a week and follow with your regular serums and moisturizer.  Once your skin improves, you can try the 10% glycolic again, but start slowly, maybe once a week at first and build up as you can tolerate it.  Adding a moisturizing mask a couple times a week would probably help too.  You can do that right after rinsing your exfoliating powder product from your face.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@ccassaday If you haven't used a liquid glycolic before this, 10% might be too strong for you, for daily use.  Set it aside for now.  Get yourself a gentle physical exfolliant, like Fleur de Lis Rice Enzyme Powder (Amazon, and get the vanilla scent - others don't smell so good) or Emminence Organics Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant (also on Amazon).  Whichever one you choose, use it couple times a week and follow with your regular serums and moisturizer.  Once your skin improves, you can try the 10% glycolic again, but start slowly, maybe once a week at first and build up as you can tolerate it.  Adding a moisturizing mask a couple times a week would probably help too.  You can do that right after rinsing your exfoliating powder product from your face.

I have had this bottle since July and had no issues. I think the post above nailed what happened. I accidently left the lid off for a few days and I have had the bottle since July. I will see if I can find a moisturizing mask. It really feels awful and like sand paper.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would contact Paula's Choice customer service.  They should be able to help you.  I also think it's too expensive to toss out.  Use it on your heels, elbows, neck where the skin is thicker.

Esteemed Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I would contact Paula's Choice customer service.  They should be able to help you.  I also think it's too expensive to toss out.  Use it on your heels, elbows, neck where the skin is thicker.

I think I have used over half the bottle so it's not worth taking the time to contact them.  Plus it is my fault if I left the cap off. I just want to get my skin feeling good again. Maybe when it is better I will try the PTR retinol pads.