Respected Contributor

Re: Help! I need suggestions for facial hair removal.

@Shanus

@Shanus wrote:

@momoftwo2007. IMO, I never liked how shiny my face looked after hair removal...tried Emjoi, waxing, etc. Having a slight bit of fuzz seemed more natural & cover imperfections...especially lines on upper lip. I started bleaching mustache hair and sideburns. I use Sally Hansen's Extra Strength Bleach. It turns the hair a very light blonde. 

I did the bleaching thing for awhile, but my "fuzz", especially on my upper lip, was just too heavy for that. I just had a blonde mustache instead of a dark one! Bleaching is a good option, though, if you don't have a ton of hair.

Honored Contributor

The problem for me with epilating my face is that it makes me breakout afterwards. I think it might be an in-grown hair situation, not sure but seems likely. I would do it otherwise for the peach fuzz!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I shave using the Panasonic face razor from Ulta; it's $19.99 and all coupons work on it. Love it!!!

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

When I was becoming increasingly obsessed about tweezing chin hairs, I decided for my physical and mental health to do something permanently so that I would never have to pick up a tweezer again. I'm just not a person who's interested in home beauty gadgets.

I did look into laser treatments, but thankfully, the woman with whom I consulted was totally honest. She said that it will not get any white or light hairs. She suggested that I supplement with the only truly permanent hair removal -- electrolysis.

So I went home and decided that it was silly to do both. I found an excellent electrologist and never looked back. I did not find it very painful. It took many sessions to rid me of chin, lip, and occasional wild hair on my neck (what the heck is that about?) due to the nature of hair growth.

It was the best investment for me. No more irritated skin, no more hair.

@suzyQ3- Amen sistah!

Electolysis -  had it done 20 years ago and it made a HUGE difference in decreasing my facial hair (I had fuzz everywhere) and increasing my self-confidence.

Thing is, I think it may have been supplanted by laser options today. Not sure.

But if it's still around it's what I'd recommend too.

@sandraskates, it is still around but not on every street corner as are laser treatment offices.

The two are not identical. For me, it was silly to do laser treatments if they wouldn't get any light or white hairs and if they wouldn't guarantee permanent removal. Electroysis, as you well know, destroys the hair follicles.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Got the professional waxing yesterday, and OMG felt and feels so good.  Even made my lip wrinkle look less.  No kidding feels smooth.  Set up again for next month.  Did lip and chin.  Cost 19.00.  Did not hurt.  Of course, I'm used to Botox and Juviderm fillers in the upper lip and eye areas, so this did not hurt.  She was gentle.

The funny part is she used melted warm wax.  Funny to me because that is what my Grandmother and I used way back in the day.  We melted a small piece of wax from a block in the little tin can it came in, put it on area, and yanked off.  She was gentle.  The old way with gentler improvements still works.

Super Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

For a very long time I used Surgi Cream microwavable wax. Going back several months I caved and got the Emjoi Epi Slim 18. I use it on my upper lip and chin. Sometimes it pinches a little bit but it's no more painful than ripping off the wax, in fact less painful. Sometimes I still have to get the tweezers out for a stubborn one here or there but all in all the Epi Slim works for me and it's more convenient than microwaving the wax, by the time the wax would be ready I can already have the job done.

Hi shaggygirl: I just received my Emjoi Epi Slim 18 & it hurts to use. Any suggestions?

I came in on the presentation, & the vendor was just moving it over her upper lip, chin, face, & up & down her arm. Looked easy. Vendor & host said it was easy.

I normally shave or use tweezers on my upper lip.

Well, no where in the presentation did anyone say anything that's in the instruction manual that came with the Emjoi.  There was no holding the skin taut, holding it at a 90 degree angle with the logo facing you. Nothing about trimming hair longer than 5mm.

But what I found disturbing is all the contraindications that were not discussed on air. I'd like to know why  you can't use it before or during your period, if you're pregnant or within one month after giving birth. Hormones?  It's mentioned that hormones can change the color & thickness of hair growth.  Check with dr if  you have pacemaker. Etc.

This isn't the first time I've bought a product & the instruction manual    states who can/'t use it.

I think the customer should be warned before purchasing a product that may have  side effects.

I'm not going to send it back.  I'll experiment with it & use my tweezers/razor as back up.

Thanks for letting me "rant".

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momoftwo2007wrote:

Recently, I started to have facial hairs growing above my upper lip. It's very annoying, since I don't think lady mustache is a good look for me. I tried plucking them with tweezers, but it takes forever, and it doesn't get to the finer hairs.  Do any of you beauties have to deal with facial hairs?  What do you use? What works for you?  Product recommendations welcome!

Thanks!

Momoftwo, 

I used to have the same problem, I absolutely hated plucking my mustache with tweezers! It takes reallly long and you just can't get everything. 

I bought an epilator to get rid of those hairs. It sounds scary using an electric device on your face, but I am very happy with my Braun. I found some good reviews for facial epilators on this site. I bought the 9579 as it comes with other accessories as well. 

Hope this helps Smiley Happy!

Honored Contributor

Evine has the Me Chic hair reduction device on sale right now.  Was 200, now 159.

Trusted Contributor

This is good information on this thread. I have just a few hairs on my chin and a few on my upper lip. I have just been using a razor. The recent facial/chin hair I believe is menopause but I do have peach fuzz on my cheeks...it's almost clear hair and I asked my sister the other day if she thought I should do something about it because it's getting more noticeable to me. She said it wasn't dark so not to mess with it because then the fuzz may comeback darker and fuller.
Valued Contributor

I second the mechic. I have pale fuzz on my face so laser wouldn't work and I'm too afraid to use the emjoi on my face. Mechic does the trick.