Regular Contributor

Re: Help! Frizz!

[ Edited ]

@lavendar.  Yesterday Chaz mentioned reversing the order of leave-in products for curly hair users.  Instead of CC, SC, mousse go with mouse, SC, and CC last.  This morning I used BGT SC and then BGT CC (no mousse) and it made a huge difference.  Since you already have these products you might try this approach.  HTH.

@lavendar wrote:

Thanks! I'm already doing many things suggested. I use Morocanoil shampoo. Sulfate free. I also use WEN styling cream and WEN CC as a leave in. I use a WOW product on wet hair and oil my hair. Can't find my WEN smoothing serum. Will order it again.

I only wash it once a week and sleep on a silk pillowcase..  I do torture my hair: color and highlights. I now only highlight it twice a year. Also I was very sick about a year ago and had shedding. Was in the hospital three weeks and the clorox in the bed linen sucked all the moisture out of my hair and left it damaged. It did grow back really well.

When I'm desperate I can get a salon shampoo and blow dry. The flat iron hides all sins.

My colorist doesnt want me to do keratin treatments. He's been coloring my hair over twenty years and knows it well.

My hair was always coarse and dry. I just replaced the heat cap I used in high school. i just turned seventy five. I had healthy virgin hair but it was dry. I used to wear my hair very short so it was always getting cut as it came in. I

I did read the WEN thread. That's why I started one here.

I will write down the products you mention.

I could cut it a few inches shorter; it's in a bob. Or grow it long enough to put in a small pony. I wear hats all summer to protect my color.

I will make a list of products mentioned. I have a HUGE CVS near me.

Story: Years ago I was sitting outside with a friend and her four year old grandson. The humidity was near 100%. I noticed child was staring at me. He said," You're hair is growing." I said,"Yes, I can make it grow because I have special hair. It's magic."

I have no magic for helping "special hair."

Respected Contributor

Thanks, I'll try reversing the order of SC and CC. Also will look at products mentioned here.

Respected Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

I feel your pain! 

I have fine  curly frizzy hair.  The new line by L'Oreal "Elvive" has really helped me.  I use the type for damaged hair and then I use a product called "It's a 10" spray on keratin treatmemt. My hair is far from perfect but it's so, so, so much better.  

Best part...all drug store products and the L'Oreal you can always find coupons for. 

@Jtdmum, My hair is like yours - fine, curly and frizzy.  The Elvive line has lots of products. Which ones are you using?

Respected Contributor

If your hair is curly or wavy, please check out You Tube for videos addressing the frizz problem. You also get some great ideas on what products to use. 

One of the most fascinating is using a "personal lubricant" called LuLu as a first step in wet styling. Frizz is usually the result of a lack of moisture in the hair. The LuLu is a water based product that locks in moisture before applying a gel or curl cream. It's available through Amazon and in my cart.  😁

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Summer is here and so is my hair frizz problem. I have coarse, colored, dry hair. 

Has anyone tried the anti frizz hairsprays? There is a Living Proof one on sale at the Q but I had terrible results from the original Living Proof products. These, of course, are newer, and may be different.

Oribe has a very expensive one on sale at Amazon but aerosol products cannot be returned.

I spend a pretty penny on my hair at the salon but then it all goes up in frizz come summer.

@lavendar  Not only is Living Proof expensive, it’s very drying to my hair. I like all the Shea Moisture products. Especially in humid months, I step up my deep conditioning. Frizz is dry hair seeking moisture from the air. Keep it well hydrated and some of the problem can be helped. Also frequent trims for split ends help.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Thanks! I'm already doing many things suggested. I use Morocanoil shampoo. Sulfate free. I also use WEN styling cream and WEN CC as a leave in. I use a WOW product on wet hair and oil my hair. Can't find my WEN smoothing serum. Will order it again.

I only wash it once a week and sleep on a silk pillowcase..  I do torture my hair: color and highlights. I now only highlight it twice a year. Also I was very sick about a year ago and had shedding. Was in the hospital three weeks and the clorox in the bed linen sucked all the moisture out of my hair and left it damaged. It did grow back really well.

When I'm desperate I can get a salon shampoo and blow dry. The flat iron hides all sins.

My colorist doesnt want me to do keratin treatments. He's been coloring my hair over twenty years and knows it well.

My hair was always coarse and dry. I just replaced the heat cap I used in high school. i just turned seventy five. I had healthy virgin hair but it was dry. I used to wear my hair very short so it was always getting cut as it came in. I

I did read the WEN thread. That's why I started one here.

I will write down the products you mention.

I could cut it a few inches shorter; it's in a bob. Or grow it long enough to put in a small pony. I wear hats all summer to protect my color.

I will make a list of products mentioned. I have a HUGE CVS near me.

Story: Years ago I was sitting outside with a friend and her four year old grandson. The humidity was near 100%. I noticed child was staring at me. He said," You're hair is growing." I said,"Yes, I can make it grow because I have special hair. It's magic."

I have no magic for helping "special hair."

@lavendar  Wow, a lot of things causing damage....color, highlights, flat irons, etc. Please be careful and watch out for breakage. Always use a spray on heat protectant before blow drying, too.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

If your hair is curly or wavy, please check out You Tube for videos addressing the frizz problem. You also get some great ideas on what products to use. 

One of the most fascinating is using a "personal lubricant" called LuLu as a first step in wet styling. Frizz is usually the result of a lack of moisture in the hair. The LuLu is a water based product that locks in moisture before applying a gel or curl cream. It's available through Amazon and in my cart.  😁

Keeping moisture in my curls is exactly my problem. I don’t want to straighten my hair - just keep the curls smooth. I’m going to give LuLu a try.

Respected Contributor

Is your frizz caused by humidity? My hair gets frizzy in humidity. Here's what I've found to be more helpful:

• Deep conditioning treatments. Hair is absorbing water from the air. If your hair's moisture level is higher, it won't try to pull as much moisture in.
  • Avoid glycerin. Check your styling products for glycerin, which is a humectant that seeks to balance moisture. In humid weather, it pulls moisture out of the air and into you hair, swelling the hair and roughing up the cuticle, causing frizz. (It does the oppisite in very dry weather, leaving hair dry.) I look for products with no glycerin or that list glycerin toward the end of the ingredientst list.
  • Use a cotton t-shirt to blot hair dry out of the shower. Terrycloth towels are made of loops that pull at and rough up the cuticle, causing frizz before you even leave the bathroom. A knit material like an old cottont-shirt is flat and smooth and won't rough up the cuticle as much.

For me, I like products that have a PVP Copolymer and/or at least one Polyquarternium. Products that contain these ingredients always seem to do a better job of controlling my humidity frizz. My favorites are Ouidad Climate Control Gel and Curl Keeper Original, by Curly Hair Solutions. I get the Curl Keeper Original from Amazon. You can also get it directly from Curly Hair Solutions, but the ship from Canada. I get my Climate Control Gel from whomever is having the best sale: Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom (sometimes Hautelook) or the Ouidad site.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2, thanks. I love multitaskers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yesterday ... shower and shampoo in morning ... then some chores around the apartment.

Mid/late afternoon ... about to run out for a quick errand and checked the mirror ... my hair had developed "terminal frizz."  I worked a drop of Frizz Ease Effects serum through my hair ... frizz gone (I have short wavy hair).