Contributor

Help! Dry flaky scalp is driving me crazy.

I use SAM, BGT, POM, and have been using WEN for years. Over the last 5 months or so, I have developed this scalp issue, which I've never had before. I read about the TeaTree- just started using it last week but no help yet. If you've had this problem and you use TT, how long before it resolved? Did you use the CC and oil? Help please! So tired of this...?? Thanks!
Respected Contributor

Re: Help! Dry flaky scalp is driving me crazy.

Hi! I feel your pain only my scalp is extremely oily. Is your scalp prone to be dry? If so maybe stepping up the oil application over night may help. Use enough leave in and styling creme too. If it is extremely dry you can mix in oil with the leave in too. That's the beauty of Wen you can mix and match things together. You can mix the oil in with the leave in, certainly. When we turn on the heat this makes the air really dry and that could be part of the problem. I know all year my hands are fine until the cool and cold weather and then they get so badly dry and cracked that it looks like a chemical burn. They get really red and chapped and bleed and crack but now I have the Wen 613 body treatment lotion and my hands are holding up well. I do a lot of hand washing on certain days and that just makes it worse. Sorry, back to your problem, yes, I would use Tea Tree and wait to see what happens. Chaz calls this formulation problem/solution. He sells a duo, the Sweet Almond Mint and Tea Tree together. I would try Tea tree on the scalp and Sweet Almond on the hair itself and stay with that regimen for a decent while along with as many nights as possible sleep with the oil on the scalp. Now, this is what I would think of to do and I hope this helps. Maybe someone here can offer some input. Good luck, hon. xo

Honored Contributor

This happened to me about a month ago. I had bought the TT kit and hated the smell so I never used it. Until winter hit and I got the itchy scalp. I used it twice a week for about two weeks for both cleanses and let it sit a good long time (10 minutes plus each time) and then made sure to really rinse it out well. It cleared up my issue and I went back to my Fig and new seasonals since.

Regular Contributor

I know this goes against the grain but I actually found that the TT aggravated my seb derm{#emotions_dlg.blink} *GASP*. Surprisingly, winter vanilla mint has helped my scalp quite a bit. I know lots of people here love TT, but it's not my favorite. If you find it doesn't clear things up for you in a couple weeks, I would try a more hydrating formula like fig or a seasonal (WVM is super hydrating IMO).

Respected Contributor

Oh, trying different ones IS a good idea. The seasonals are very hydrating. I, myself am not a Tea Tree fan but I know Chaz keeps saying if you have any issues use it, (problem/solution) I really don't like the smell but the results for me were great. However, the new Winter one is really creamy and the other poster that said they left it in for a decent amount of time may help. During the cold months our hot water is compensated because we can't fit a bigger tank under the basement steps so we have to hurry or the warm water runs out. I don't even get to comb through like in the Summer. I like to comb through and leave it on while in the shower. Hey, I just thought...why not try the re moist mask. That's really hydrating. A lot of people love the Winter Vanilla Mint. Maybe that would be a good idea. I still have a 16oz. bottle from who knows when but it's never been opened. If I remember right it was hydrating. It reminded me of a chocolate chip mint ice cream cone.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Trusted Contributor

I have oily hair and skin, but am also prone to flaky scalp. I've been using Tea Tree (TT) for my first cleanse and, lately, Winter White Citrus (WWC) for my second cleanse. I find the WWC moisturizing, but not heavy. This combination seems to be working well for me. I also try to do the occasional overnight treatment with the TT oil. Frankly, I should do the oil treatments more often in the winter.