Respected Contributor

Re: Help/Advise with Foiled in hair color (I have never had my hair colored before)

On 9/12/2014 Skylands said:

FYI...............if, if U have thick hair, and live in a city with a lot of colorist to choose from, you might like Bayalage hair coloring. Google for details. I prefer this technique over foils. It gives a more natural look to high lights/low lights, & you can grow it out longer without the 'hard' line that foils leave. But, you need the right type of hair, thick.

It's very hard to find a great colorist who is trained to do this. I've had many, many, many, many, did I say MANY terrible jobs done by colorists that didn't get what I wanted?

Most of the high lights you see on the 'stars, models', etc., have Bayalage high lights. Just a thought.

Seriously, this is GREAT info. I will google Bayalage and see what salons in my area use this brand. I really appreciate your help & experience Smiley Happy Sorry about your MANY terrible color jobs...urg

Respected Contributor

Re: Help/Advise with Foiled in hair color (I have never had my hair colored before)

On 9/12/2014 Sandgirl said:
On 9/12/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 9/12/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: Sandgirl, look around at the salons where you live. Most salons that do color will advertise that. You can check out reviews online,. Or what I do is just go to the salon, walk in, ask for a price "menu" and if they do foils, etc. Then I look around at the salon. The cleanliness, decor, the other stylists, the people going there. You can get a pretty good idea by that. Also, I now pay about $70 for a partial foil only. I live in a small town. It may be more or less in other areas.

I live in a small town too and I think that's about what foils run here. Are you in WA? I seen your San Juan that's why I ask.

Yes. Smiley Happy

My Fav. part of Washington! Simply beautiful. Very lucky to live in such an amazing community Smiley Happy

Thanks, I like it here. Smiley Happy Have fun with your new style and color! I love playing with the color and changing my look every so often. Come back and let us know how it goes.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Marienkaef­er2 - I will!! I promise I will follow up and let you know what I decide to go with Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am in my 40’s and haven’t had to color my hair ….YET, I know it’s coming, no gray hairs yet but I know they are bound to come.

I always said I would wait till I HAVE TO color to color my hair but as I get older my Brunette hair is starting to look more brassy like.

I would like to maybe foil in some darker strands or red/brown strands or SOMETHING (I really have not a clue what I am even talking about…..LOL) to give it some dimension and just change it up slightly, I don’t want anything SHOCKING, just something that will add some nice coloring and give my hair that revived look. Not sure I want to go with ALL OVER hair coloring, would rather just do some simple foils to start.

Thoughts???

I would love some help & advise from those of you that have colored and experimented with all this already. THANK YOU!!!

From your post, it seems like you think coloring hair is only to cover gray .... and that's just not true. Many women don't HAVE to color their hair, but do so because it can be very flattering.

When I was in my 20's, my hair was a boring mouse brown. I kept getting caught in the thinking that my hair would look better with a different cut, until a stylist finally told me outright that the cut wasn't my problem, it was the color!

DUH!!!! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

So, I tried a light "frosting" as it was called back in the day ..... and people couldn't stop with the compliments .... it was pretty embarrassing to know I was "so close" to a good look and hadn't considered it sooner. The lighter "highlights" brightened up my face and looked great.

Now, years later, just blond highlights aren't enough. I have enough gray that the brown needs to be foiled light brown for gray coverage .... and then the blond highlights are done. It's called a 2 step process, and is still worth EVERY penny! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

(BTW, a solid color hair coloring will begin to show the roots in just a couple weeks ..... you have a lot more "grace time" between color appointments if you have a few colors softly put in as highlights ... no sharp line of demarcation .... if you're on a budget, this is an important consideration, IMO.) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I would color or highlight. Maybe a temporary product that just adds some oomph to your color. I colored and highlighted for years when I didn't even need to. When I finally stopped (the time and cost of upkeep was crazy) my stylist would tell everyone in the salon, "Look at her hair! And to think we covered up that color all these years." My natural color is so much better than anything out there.

Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

<p class="MsoNormal"> I am in my 40’s and haven’t had to color my hair ….YET, I know it’s coming, no gray hairs yet but I know they are bound to come.

<p class="MsoNormal"> I always said I would wait till I HAVE TO color to color my hair but as I get older my Brunette hair is starting to look more brassy like.

<p class="MsoNormal"> I would like to maybe foil in some darker strands or red/brown strands or SOMETHING (I really have not a clue what I am even talking about…..LOL) to give it some dimension and just change it up slightly, I don’t want anything SHOCKING, just something that will add some nice coloring and give my hair that revived look. Not sure I want to go with ALL OVER hair coloring, would rather just do some simple foils to start.

<p class="MsoNormal"> Thoughts???

<p class="MsoNormal"> I would love some help & advise from those of you that have colored and experimented with all this already. THANK YOU!!!

From your post, it seems like you think coloring hair is only to cover gray .... and that's just not true. Many women don't HAVE to color their hair, but do so because it can be very flattering.

When I was in my 20's, my hair was a boring mouse brown. I kept getting caught in the thinking that my hair would look better with a different cut, until a stylist finally told me outright that the cut wasn't my problem, it was the color!

DUH!!!! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

So, I tried a light "frosting" as it was called back in the day ..... and people couldn't stop with the compliments .... it was pretty embarrassing to know I was "so close" to a good look and hadn't considered it sooner. The lighter "highlights" brightened up my face and looked great.

Now, years later, just blond highlights aren't enough. I have enough gray that the brown needs to be foiled light brown for gray coverage .... and then the blond highlights are done. It's called a 2 step process, and is still worth EVERY penny! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

(BTW, a solid color hair coloring will begin to show the roots in just a couple weeks ..... you have a lot more "grace time" between color appointments if you have a few colors softly put in as highlights ... no sharp line of demarcation .... if you're on a budget, this is an important consideration, IMO.) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hope this helps.

Oh no, I didn’t mean people only color to cover gray – My mom started coloring her hair cause she wanted to back in her late 20’s.

I just told myself I wouldn’t color till I HAD TO but now I don’t want to hold off, I’m so bored with my color and feeling down on myself, this getting older is hard stuff, I get up and look in the mirror at the changes in my hair and skin and really just want to go back to bed and skip going to work all together…..urg, it’s time to work on that, get me to feeling better about myself again.

Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Skylands said:

FYI...............if, if U have thick hair, and live in a city with a lot of colorist to choose from, you might like Bayalage hair coloring. Google for details. I prefer this technique over foils. It gives a more natural look to high lights/low lights, & you can grow it out longer without the 'hard' line that foils leave. But, you need the right type of hair, thick.

It's very hard to find a great colorist who is trained to do this. I've had many, many, many, many, did I say MANY terrible jobs done by colorists that didn't get what I wanted?

Most of the high lights you see on the 'stars, models', etc., have Bayalage high lights. Just a thought.

Seriously, this is GREAT info. I will google Bayalage and see what salons in my area use this brand. I really appreciate your help & experience Smiley Happy Sorry about your MANY terrible color jobs...urg

fyi..............Bayalage is a technique. Not a brand. Origin: Pairs

Sun-kissed highlights!!!!

Examples: Victoria Secret runway models.

Gisele Bundchen - one example

Gisele Bundchen2.jpg

Respected Contributor

Bayalage

Frequent Contributor

Hi Sandgirl- Don't feel down on yourself- forgive me if you weren't the one who said this- I'm on my lunch break and read this fast!! Getting foils done sounds like just what you need for a boost! Your hair sounds alot like mine with the slight reddish tinge. I'VE been getting foils since my 20s, highlights and lowlights, darker brown. I usually alternate each time. Don't think you want to color all over as it's way more upkeep. Find a nice salon and go for it!! Let us know what you decide.
Respected Contributor

If your hairdresser does highlights, could you arrange to get an appointment for a cut just as she's finishing up a highlighting job? That way you could see her work. I love my hairdresser's work, but her highlights are not to my liking (I've seen her do them on other people). They look like thin stripes, all very uniform and unnatural-looking.