Frequent Contributor

My skin started breaking out when I was over 60! I've been quite satisfied with Dr. Dennis Gross Clarifying Colloidal Sulfur Mask, which I bought from the Q.

I just put it on blemishes before I go to sleep. If some are stubborn, I reapply for a few nights. I highly recommend.

Super Contributor

This is all hormone drivin. I too am in my forties and have had breakouts. You have to treat this problem from the inside. Topicals will work a little, but it is just like putting a bandaid on the problem. I saw my dermatologist about this problem and she put me on Aldactone. Which is used for a variety of issues, one being hormonal acne. You should make an appt. with a derm.

Super Contributor

I had a major breakout just recently and I figured out that I was using too many products at once. I am currently washing my skin with Purity (gentle) and a second washing of my chin area with Wen with tea tree. I figured it couldn't get any worse. Actually it is getting better. I am down to a couple of tiny scabs (they bugged me so I bugged them). I am just using natural products like argon oil and emu oil on them till they go away. Plus I don't want any scarring.

Honored Contributor
On 7/9/2014 lovestoteach said:

Get the low percentage benzoyl peroxide cream at CVS. It is very inexpensive. Then, as presented in the cosmetic guru Wayne Goss acne cure method, spread a thick layer all over your face. This low percent bp will not burn your face. It will kill off any bacteria that are spreading to areas on your face. If you do this before bedtime, your face may possibly be healed up and ready to go in the am. I just dab on some more the next day and keep repeating until the zits are gone.

Wayne Goss presents this method on youtube... and it really cured mine up. This after derm visits and derm rx's, etc.

Good luck and I hope you are happy with this method. BTW... this percent bp is the same amount present in the proactive system... and its cheaper. and it's a good exfoliator. Don't buy a higher percentage... don't.

Look for Neutrogena On-the-Spot Treatment. It only has 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide. I'm pretty sure that's the lowest you'll find, and it's really quite effective. Most other BP treatments on the shelves have 10% BP and that's really harsh. As an aside, my skin is not over sensitive, but one time I used a 10% BP treatment and it made my eyes swell to nearly shut. The 2.5% works great. I agree with lovestoteach, if you put on a good layer at bedtime, your skin could be healed and clear in the morning. I'm not sure, but your CVS or Walgreens might have their own house brand that's a dupe for the Neutrogena. Be sure to check the label. Don't buy it if it's any higher than 2.5%.

Super Contributor

Paula's Choice really saved my skin. I have struggled with clogged pores, oily combo skin and breakouts since I hit puberty and it all got worse it seemed when I hit 40.

I did a lot of research and watched a lot of youtube videos and read this forum - finally I bit the bullet and got items from her Skin Balancing and Resist Line a couple of months ago. The results have been amazing (at least to me). My pore are clear and shrinking, my skin on my cheeks is firmer and it is not crepey like it was. It's been 2 months since I had a major breakout and my red marks are fading quickly.

I was using products (expensive products) that were irritating my skin and weren't always light enough for my skin type.

I stopped everything cold and started Paula's choice (I ordered samples of the things I wanted to try and enough to try them for at least week) before I invested in full size products.

You're doing the right things for Friday. Remember to keep sun screen on whatever is going on now - it will help to prevent the red/pink healing marks.

Good Luck!

Trusted Contributor

Buzz on Acne (BOA) saved my skin. Next month is my 5 year anniversary of use. I have not been without it once in that time. I also have not any major break-outs in all that time either. My skin has a healthy glow. I'm on auto delivery every 2 mos at about $26 a shipment.

One bottle lasts me longer than 2 months so once in a while I just e-mail Denise and ask to skip or delay a shipment. They have the best CS too!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Occasional Contributor

The over the counter creams, lotions and solutions work but only for awhile. You need to see a Dermatologist and find out what's best for your skin. I have a prescription for Clinician (anti - bacterial) and it works great.