Honored Contributor

Helen Mirren TV ad for L'Oreal; is it a new one?

Because my whole family just saw it and we all went  "HOLY MOLY, she looks AWFUL with the clown cheeks!!"

Indeed, her cheeks were super pink and looked horrible...in fact, whatever they did to her made her look terrible. I read a few months back about an ad she was in and how great she looked and am wondering...is this a new ad?

I will be the first to admit I think she's fantastic: talent, personality and looks. I applaud her attitude towards everything in life so I was stunned she was made to look this bad in the ad.

The product wasn't even for a blush but for a face cream with a rosy glow; shouldn't her whole face been pink then?

Honored Contributor

Re: Helen Mirren TV ad for L'Oreal; is it a new one?

@SahmIam wrote:

Because my whole family just saw it and we all went  "HOLY MOLY, she looks AWFUL with the clown cheeks!!"

Indeed, her cheeks were super pink and looked horrible...in fact, whatever they did to her made her look terrible. I read a few months back about an ad she was in and how great she looked and am wondering...is this a new ad?

I will be the first to admit I think she's fantastic: talent, personality and looks. I applaud her attitude towards everything in life so I was stunned she was made to look this bad in the ad.

The product wasn't even for a blush but for a face cream with a rosy glow; shouldn't her whole face been pink then?

I haven't seen the ad, but sad that it fell flat. It's about time the beauty industry recognized we all are not 25.

Respected Contributor

Maybe there are multiple versions, but the one I saw didn't look bad. 

Honored Contributor

I do most of my TV watching in front of a big screen Hi-Def Sony TV.

Some things do startle me because the picture is so clear and big.

I'm not a L'Oreal fan but when the commercial came on, I was interested, they were talking to ME.    But the last picture, her close-up startled me.    She looks like she has a bad case of rosacea.    Or she's been on a bender for weeks.    Why is she not "glowing" everywhere on her face?

Please don't misunderstand.   She's beautiful and I'm not criticizing her looks, but if this product is a moisturizer and it should give you a rosy glow, why just on her cheeks?   It looked odd to me, too.

@SahmIam wrote:

Honored Contributor

@software  That's exactly what it looked like, sadly. Her cheeks were so bright pink it looked...clownlike. It also appeared to my son (whose hobby is graphic art) wanted to know why so much of her face was oddly filtered; oddly in that it was all over but in bits and pieces. The next time I saw the ad, I realized what he meant.

Again, knowing how forthright Helen Mirren is...how did this slip by her as it's not..."her".

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I do most of my TV watching in front of a big screen Hi-Def Sony TV.

Some things do startle me because the picture is so clear and big.

I'm not a L'Oreal fan but when the commercial came on, I was interested, they were talking to ME.    But the last picture, her close-up startled me.    She looks like she has a bad case of rosacea.    Or she's been on a bender for weeks.    Why is she not "glowing" everywhere on her face?

Please don't misunderstand.   She's beautiful and I'm not criticizing her looks, but if this product is a moisturizer and it should give you a rosy glow, why just on her cheeks?   It looked odd to me, too.

@SahmIam wrote:

That explains it I guess. I saw the print ad. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam I've only seen one.  I thought she looked fine as far as the color on her cheeks.  Didn't look bright at all to me.  Maybe it's your TV.  I do think they used a blurring lense so as not to show her wrinkles.

Is this the one?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A8oS/loreal-age-perfect-rosy-tone-moisturizer-enhance-skin-tone

Respected Contributor

Commercial looks ridiculous....shot through filters - so obvious!

Helen Mirren has a face full of wrinkles- let her shine!

Honored Contributor

@makena That looks so much SOFTER than what it looks like on TV...any TV I've seen it on. 

Here's the thing though: even in that link, her cheeks are PINK. Why? The commercial is for a face cream, not a blush.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if it's the tv-but here is my idea. Without MU, many older women's skin looks lifeless and dull: I have no need to try this product at this time, but perhaps it adds just enough pigment to make skin less frail and dead looking.

I subscribe to a number of fashion magazines and I have seen both the tv commercial and the still shots. On my iPad and Kindle, her cheeks are blushed: that is not the cream. She has full eye makeup, but I see lines and wrinkles! She is not disguising them-hooray!

I think this L'oreal product appeals to older women who don't want to wear foundation, but who still want to look vibrant without fussiness.

Before Loreal turned this loose, I'm sure that's what they aimed for: subtle all-over pigment that hydrates-and pink is a color corrector for older skin.

Poodlepet2