Respected Contributor

If I use a heat protector before I blow dry, do I need to use it again before I flat iron?  Or does it depend on the product?  For example, if I use a runny, spray-on heat protector (like It's a 10), do I then need to use a heavier type product before I flat iron?  Use the 10 again?  Or is one application of any heat protector enough?

Respected Contributor

That's a good question.  I always use a heat protector when blow drying and I use more heat protector before using the flat iron.

For my hair, the flat iron is particularly damaging and my hair needs the utmost protection.

Honored Contributor

that is too much product IMO

use some kind of product when you blow out such as a cream/ serum and when doing the final blowout a bit of heat protector.

Honored Contributor

I use a spray leave in conditioner before I blow dry. Then I use a heat protectant spray before flat ironing. If you think it is too much product you can spray the product on a comb first, and then comb it through your hair. I tend to do that a lot, because sometimes I feel I get too much product in my hair if I just spray directly from the bottle. 

Honored Contributor

I use a pea sized amount of WEN styling gel, which is a heat protectant as well, before blow drying.  

No damaged ends !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Heat Protector Usage

[ Edited ]

As per my stylist, it depends. ( I just sent her this via a text).

My hair is thick, coarse with a wave that can be frizzy to a giant frizz ball in the summer and is colored. On MY hair and hair that is similar, she will use a heat protector before blowdrying. IF she (or I) use a hot iron on a FEW strands (usually just the top to help with new growth stay flat), then NO extra heat protector. IF she or I use a hot iron all over to keep it frizz free till I wash it again (usually in the high humidity of summer), then YES, an additional spray is applied on each section of hair as she/I goes around the head. This protector must work up to 450 degrees no matter what heat temp is used (for the maximum protection).

My hair is healthy, thick, glossy, no split ends, no damage, with length below my shoulder blades, btw.

Edited for missing words.

Respected Contributor

Re: Heat Protector Usage

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam, that was really nice of you to do.  I see my stylist again in 4 weeks so will ask these same questions, but as my keratin treatment is about gone, I wondered about what I should do.  I will make sure I look for heat protectors that go up to 450.  Thank you!

ETA:  The heat protector I have now only goes up to 425. But I checked, and my Chi flat iron goes up to 400 degrees, so I am okay there.  I have another question.  If the heat protector is a "wet" kind of spray, do you have to wait until the sections of hair are completely dry or can you straighten them while damp?  I"ve always used it kind of damp, but I was in at Sally Beauty Supply last week, and the sales associate made an offhand comment about waiting until a flat iron protection spray dried before using it.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  If you're spraying each section just before ironing, you're not spraying to saturate; just a light mist. In the time it takes to put the bottle down, pick up your iron and then place it to start, the majority of the mist should be dry. Sometimes I'll hear a little hiss but I've been repeatedly told that is ok. Again, my hair is in fantastic condition so it must be ok, lol.

Kerastase and Shwartzkopf make products that go up to 450. My favorite is by Shwartzkopf: Guardian Angel available at Walmart and Ulta.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@Ainhisg  If you're spraying each section just before ironing, you're not spraying to saturate; just a light mist. In the time it takes to put the bottle down, pick up your iron and then place it to start, the majority of the mist should be dry. Sometimes I'll hear a little hiss but I've been repeatedly told that is ok. Again, my hair is in fantastic condition so it must be ok, lol.

Kerastase and Shwartzkopf make products that go up to 450. My favorite is by Shwartzkopf: Guardian Angel available at Walmart and Ulta.

@SahmIam, I am using the Guardian Angel flat iron spray, so I am glad I’m using a good one. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

My hair is of a finer texture and color treated.  Avoiding the top of my head, I mist on Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Primer Spray over my damp towe-dried hair followed by a little bit of mousse before I blow dry.  The Redken product is a combined primer, to make other products work better, as well as a heat protectant.  It also helps your hair dry faster so it's not exposed to the heat as long.  IMO, the benefit of using the treatment product on wet/damp hair is that it penetrates and doesn't just sit on top.  Personally, I think the one appllication is enough - for me anyway.  Anything applied to dried hair coats it and could make a flat iron or curling iron stick and burn the hair - JMO.  For someone with my kind of hair, additional or overuse of product weighs it down too, to where the style wouldn't hold and the hair gets dirty faster.