Honored Contributor

Re: Haven't Been On Airplane In 10yrs...Help With Make Up Carry On

There are restrictions on size. I forget what I had (probably moisturizer) and it was taken away from me. So remember that carry on items can only be a certain size. I do not remember the ounces as it has been about 4 years since I was on a jet. Call your travel agent or the airlines with specific questions which would probably be best.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 8/18/2014 tsavorite said:

Yes that's the link I have been reading....I think I am just nervous that I'll do something wrong and get in trouble LOL!! All my meds are pills and in the original script bottles...so I will keep them in my purse.

Thank you for the help....I just wanted to be sure I was understanding these new rules. I did purchase smaller size bottle of items we use as the trip to Vegas is only 5 days and all those basics will be in checked bag so no worries there.

I already transferred my other liquid items into the approved travel size bottles that came with that bag. I did put the spare contacts in there too...as they are in a tiny amount of liquid and sealed. I always bring a spare set in case I drop one (like I did on bathroom floor last week!) and I'll be carrying on my glasses and shades!

If your meds are pills you will not have a problem, I usually just put mine in a daily pill case and put that in the plastic bag, I have never had a hassle over it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 8/18/2014 Love my grandkids said:

And be sure it's a ZIPLOCK bag, not one that you squeeze the top together.

I don't think I've heard this before. I don't carry on liquids, but what difference does it make?
Honored Contributor

On 8/18/2014 graycatsrule said:

I don't think I've heard this before. I don't carry on liquids, but what difference does it make?

I am not sure there is a difference, its supposed to be a zip loc bag, but I have bought a zipped one and have used it for several years

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Are you flying international? Different countries have different rules.

We had a flight changed and had to land in Heathrow instead of flying directly into Rome. My carry on items were passed through in the US, but I had to toss out some things in London. I was not happy because I had to try to find what I needed when I got to Italy. Oy!

Honored Contributor

On 8/18/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 8/18/2014 graycatsrule said:

I am not sure there is a difference, its supposed to be a zip loc bag, but I have bought a zipped one and have used it for several years

I have a little "TSA Approved" plastic bag that I use. It is much heavier plastic so I don't have to worry about it splitting because I pack it full. Only place I have had problem with it is at the Bozeman, MT airport, obviously a hotbed for terrorist activity. Anyway, they had to dump all my stuff into a Ziploc bag to make sure it all fit. They also wouldn't let me go through using my cane (I had hurt my leg on the slopes) and had to use theirs.

Respected Contributor

I travel a lot and I use any type of zipper top bag. I've never had any issues.

Esteemed Contributor

I take a ziploc bag (quart size) for things that are liquid which are 3 ounces or less. Most important for me is to have liquid foundation and a allergy spray because my ears fill up and I cannot hear unless I use it before the plane takes off. All other makeup in my case is not liquid such as eyeliner pencil or lipstick. I have a small black zip bag for that. I have never had to present it. My phone has a case of its own and I do carry a tablet. They take one look at my white hair and I do not have to take off my shoes. I make it a point to pack what I can. My carry on bag is a Vera Bradley small travel bag. I don't want to be weighted down. I also wear a vest, no handbag. I can put things in my pockets and then take off the vest to put on the belt to be scanned. In there I have my wallet, keys, tissues, phone, tablet. Yes, the vest is ample and generous. I bought it in a sports store and it is considered to be for hunting and or fishing. There is a huge pocket across the back for squirrels I am told. Don't ask I live in the country. I can only imagine catching a squirrel. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

OK, I stand corrected. I didn't mean a Ziplock brand plastic bag, but any of the approved zip top type bags. And the TSA website DOES specify the amounts the bottles can hold, which I believe are 3.5 ounces each and you can take as many as you can cram into a 1 quart bah.

Super Contributor

All of these recommendations are great. Each carrier is somewhat different about carry on luggage sizes so you want to know the dimensions that they allow - if they think your bag is too large they will take it from you and check it when you are boarding. You can check this on the carriers website.

Definitely do the ziplock thing - they have TSA approved travel bottles at any drug store so you can fill up empty bottles if you have products at home that you want to take.

Last time I flew to a vacation I took the make up I wanted in a larger makeup bag that was in my purse.

It is very worth it to carry a big purse with you. (it doesn't count as a carry on it is a purse as long as you can get it under your seat). This way you can put your makeup, wallet electronics, chargers, gum, book etc in your purse. (I usually also put drinks and my lunch/dinner in the big purse too if it is a long flight with no meal - oh and breath mints)

It also helps to pack your carry on as if it is an emergency bag in case (heaven forbid) your checked bag goes one place and you go another. So some spare underclothes, tee shirt, essentials in the carryon.

Oh and wear trouser socks and loafers, mules etc - something easy to slip off and on and if you have to take off your shoes at security you are not walking bare foot.

Have FUN!! I was in your shoes a few years ago the rules keep changing and it had been a while since I had flown.