Super Contributor

Re: Haven't Been On Airplane In 10yrs...Help With Make Up Carry On

Think " liquids". Anything liquid goes in the qrt bag. I bag up the other things in another bag for convenience. Also the containers have to be small, 3 oz I think. That pretty much is all you need to know other than can't carry sharp things either although they let up a little on that I think. Wear socks so there's something on your feet while going thru security with shoes off. Wear running shoes or Ryka or Sketchers at airports, most are very long, have to walk a lot. Turn off phone when not in use to save battery if it is a long trip. Can bring snacks, but have to buy liquids after security. Think abt bringing food on plane, no free food on plane. Also bring sweater or wrap, think big warm scarf in case plane is cold. Don't make your second carry on tote too big, it takes up your room for your feet under the seat in front of you. Made that mistake last time. Good luck.
Super Contributor

I went to the UK in January and had no problems what so ever with my Allergy Prescribed Nasal spray in the prescription carton. Same thing when I fly to Minneapolis to visit my guy.

Honored Contributor

Really, don't worry yourself about it. My DH and I flew in May to Nashville from Cleveland. We hadn't flown anywhere since pre-911. I was a little nervous about everything as we were doing carry-ons only.

Nothing and I mean nothing got checked leaving Cleveland or Nashville. They never opened our luggage, I never had to pull out my Ziploc baggies......nothing. In Cleveland, we were waiting in a long line to go through security and as luck would have it, they pulled several of us out and ushered us through the pre-check line. We didn't have to do anything but put our luggage on the belt and we walked right through.

All that obsessing I did for nothing. I'm not sure how all airports are and I do believe they are much stricter if you are flying international.

Honored Contributor

You may also lose track of your carryon. On small feeder flights they are often stored up front, not above you in the bins. At the end of the flight they are put on a rack and you pick them up as you go up the gang plank into the airport. So my method is to keep anything that is absolutely life and death in my handbag, a large size one. That obviously includes prescription medications in their original bottles and any OTC in their original identifiable packaging. If mascara and lipstick are life and death to you, keep them in your bag. Same goes for any jewelry not on your person.

Esteemed Contributor

A few more comments: I do carry prescription meds and I usually keep them in the original tube like things. Hubby puts his vitamins in those pop up containers. Either way, no problem. The liquid I talked about was Afrin. I have to spray it in each nostril before I take off. OR ELSE my ears fill and I don't get relief until a half hour AFTER I land. The last trip hubby had severe pain in the air. He thinks the air pressure was not regulated. That whole evening after we landed he was ill. By morning it was all gone. He refused my Afrin... that will teach 'em. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Southwest rules: one carry-on and one personal item. My purse would be considered a personal item. Therefore I wear a vest with multi-pockets. I always bring my camera, phone and tablet aboard. And my carry on bag is always Vera Bradley, soft and swishy. I never use the bins above my head. I am five feet tall --- a real reach and an accident waiting to happen. I store under the seat.

Honored Contributor

I always check everything but my meds and a set of clean clothes in case my checked bag would get lost. I figure the faster and easier I can get through the security the better. Way too much hassle to try to bring all that with me on the plane. Though i have to say - last time I flew - about 3 years ago - i had to throw away my chapstick because they would not allow it for some reason. It was just a regular drugstore chapstick!

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all the helpful tips, but I just wanted to add - Put liquids in a zip lock bag and then put it in a second one. This will help if something spills out in the first zip lock bag. Also, leave a little room at the top of any container, liquids will expand when in flight.

Hope you have a safe and fun trip.