Regular Contributor

Have your lashes gotten better using mascara?

I always use lash primer then mascara for years.I have used Lancome mascara for about 30 years. I haven't worked in a year so I don't usually put mascara on. I've recently noticed my lashes have gotten brittle and some have fallen out. I went to my doctor for regular bloodwork & nothing new there. I have a thyroid problem for the past 25yrs & all is still good there.I'm on meds for that & never experienced hair loss on my head or lashes. I've thought long and hard about if I've done anything different and I can't come up with anything except not using primer & mascara. My lashes have always been good & my Mom as she aged had beautiful lashes. My friends tell me that using mascara is actually good because it has some conditioning ingredients in it sort of like using conditioner on your hair. I would like comments if this has happened to you or if you have suggestions. Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Have your lashes gotten better using mascara?

It's true; some women experience eyelash loss and thinning as they age.  Some don't.  It's possible that your lashes seem thinner to you because you used primer and mascara for most of your life and now you don't.  It's also possible that your lashes were accustomed to the protection and coating for the mascara.  There are eyelash growth serums out there, I don't know if they work but my bff who is 74 uses Revitalash faithfully and she uses high quality mascaras.  I remember she said once that she stopped using eyeliner because her lids were thin and thought friction from applying liner wasn't good for her lashes.  Or something like that....it was a while a go.  I agree with what your friends told you, I think mascara/lash conditioners/primers are good for our lashes.

Honored Contributor

I believe this is true, when I consistently use primer and mascara, my lashes are in much better shape.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I love Cliniques primer. I have also started using Babe Lash. Have seen a great improvement in my lashes. Also, I have discovered Almay's Lash Thickening mascara. Wonderful mascara. 

Honored Contributor

I stopped wearing mascara not because of it causing any problems. But it was removing it  from my lashes that was causing problems...thinning mostly. So now I just use a Latisse type product (Careprost) to make my lashes long and thick. No need for mascara anymore unless I want the drama.

Honored Contributor

@donniesmom  Rosehip oil helps in conditioning and growth.  Take just a little and place on your finger and wipe it so you finger is moist (not a droplet on the finger) and swipe across lashes.  Do this once or twice a day.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I stopped wearing mascara when I retired. 

At the time it seemed like it was making my lashes ‘crunchy’...

and they would fall out.

I kick myself for years & years of spending the money & 

wearing the chemicals of makeup when I r.e.a.l.l.y

don’t look much different with/without makeup.

Today?

No screaming babies when they look at me and businesses

still take my money....even without eyeliner/mascara.

😂

Regular Contributor

Thank you ladies for your response. I will take your suggestions and hope for the best. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@donniesmom  I don't go without mascara, so I can't speak to that, but a couple of thoughts.

Have you switched face cleansers? It could be drying out your lashes.

Do you still use moisturizer like you always did? That could have helped keep your lashes nice, too.

I do use Rapidlash (It is on sale at Ulta right now) & it has lengthened my lashes.

I remove my mascara & makeup with argan oil at the end of the day & then use FAB Face Cleanser.

Acure Radially Rejuvenating (It is not all that radical but it is nice moisture) Eye Cream.

Good luck. I hope you get your nice lashes back.

Valued Contributor

If you used Lancome primer and mascara, did you use Lancome Bificil eye makeup remover? It is good for lashes. Your eyelashes may be missing the oil in the eye makeup remover.