Honored Contributor

Re: Have you sworn off buying perfume?

I can't even say when the last time was I bought perfume/cologne. I have yet to find one that I can wear that does not drive me crazy. I mean crazy with the eyes running, nose running, sneezing, coughing, headache etc. I don't want to be around it. 

I hate women that think they have to wear the whole bottle???

Was at Lowe's once with DH while a lady walked past us 3 times wearing a whole bottle of perfume. It was horrible. The 3rd time she walked by DH said don't you walk past us again with all that stinky perfume you are wearing. I cracked up laughing. Could not believe he said that. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I stopped buying a few years back but still have a small amount of Happy and Escape on hand.  I just use my Bath and Body Works from shower to lotions to spray scents.  If going somewhere special I will spritz on the perfume no matter how old it gets.  When these two are gone I will probably buy something small to replace them.

Came close about a year ago to buying the Black Orchid by Tom Ford.  Wonderful scent but my "cheaper than dirt" mind frame kicked in.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@qualitygalI do not need any perfume...I do not need any perfume...I do not need any perfumeWoman SurprisedWoman LOL

I love perfumeHeart But I'm trying not to buy any because I have so many.

But I will say that next one I'm going to buy is "Good Girl". That is on my wish listHeart

@VenturaHighway i HAVE gOOD gIRL ON RIGHT NOW-LOVE IT!!!!!I splurged and bought it for my birthday last month, and it smells wonderful....I also have the lotion. I hope you like it as well..... 

@CANDLEQUEENI love it tooHeart First saw it at Macys and not only love the perfume but the bottleWoman LOL  I should of bought the set around Christmas.

Valued Contributor

@CHIP62 - I agree - Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum is my favorite. My grandmother used to wear it and when I smell it, it reminds me of her. Chanel No 5 and spearmint gum.  Heaven!  I wear it now but it is so expensive.

Valued Contributor

I no longer purchase perfumes and also prefer that my skincare be fragrance-free.  So many people are allergic to fragrance or just plain annoyed by it.   On occasion, I will wear lightly scented body lotion.  I now have more $$ to spend on skincare and makeup!  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Not to save money; I don’t want to be responsible for making anyone ill. Because so many people (not me) have chemical sensitivities to perfumes, I completely stopped shearing them years ago. I think it is 15 years now.

Trusted Contributor

@PatriciaG,

It also reminds me of my mother I always buy it duty free with all the Chanel 5 extras, soap, gel, body cream...even have a hair serum🌻 and body mist. Everything but their talcum powder.

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  In another post, I also recalled how I would be stopped by strangers when I wore Amazing Grace.  I often wonder if there were pheromones in it that  drew so many people to comment on how great it smelled. 

Re:  Chanel #5 is THE classic.  My mother wore it, also, and I would be standing there

watching her get dressed and she would dab some behind my ears.   Later,  I would wear Chanel #22 as my chosen fragrance and change off to #5.   

My sister wore Oscar, and it smelled fabulous.  I wonder if it smells the same now.  I use Bronze Goddess when the seasons warm up.  Still use #22 and #5.  Never to excess.

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal 

I believe a little scent goes a long way.   <G>   I like scented lotions and powders. 

*Pure Grace*  is nice for every day around the house just for me, fresh and clean. 

Estee Lauder  * Intuition *  is  wonderful  with a tiny  bit of spray behind the knees.   

I like unusual scent and do not  buy what everyone else is wearing.    

NO!  scent at all  to church or Dr. office visits.   

CAT

Honored Contributor

I don't feel right or finished without some type of fragrance.  I have a very large collection --- not all of them expensive --- but I just love a variety.  I used to go to the department stores and buy the latest ones.  I would smell a paper sample in a magazine and go wild over something and have to have it! Sort of like an obsession!  

But many things have changed.  One being the price of perfumes has skyrocketed over the years!  My husband had breathing issues and asked me to please not spray perfume at home.  This really made me sad but I understood.  He likes certain scents but I cannot spray- they have to be dab ons.  So, when I go off to work, I have a stash there and spray when I get there!  

Also, many, many perfumes started giving me migraines and making me feel like I had a cold!  Not pleasant!  

The last few fragrances I have purchased were the light body sprays.  My most recent love is White!  I just adore it.  Not heavy and makes me feel so happy when I smell it.  These sprays do not seem to last but they are less problematic and so, so much cheaper.  

I still have my large collection but I don't use them much.  I will no longer ever invest a ton of money in fragrance.  If I ever want something new or different, I will purchase at Marshalls. So much more reasonable!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin