Honored Contributor

Re: Have you sworn off buying perfume?

I have allergies so I dont buy it anymore. Sometimes it is hard to deal with others strong perfume when out and around!!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

LOVE fragrance....   and ALWAYS wear one, but am very careful not to over apply.  I typically prefer more subtle fragrances too that don't overwhelm.  I love Trish McEvoy 9, BB Beach, Nest Paradise, etc.  I don't smell them on me, but love applying and wearing them. I also love scented body lotions and layering.   Fragrance makes me smile....   at least the ones I like!

Respected Contributor

I’ve never cared much for it.  And I don’t want to smell it on others. 

A selling point here here is that “people ask me what scent I’m wearing!”  What???  If people notice your scent, you are wearing too much!  People should not comment on how others smell unless you are telling your teenage son to take a shower. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I have a collection that will probably outlive me.  I don't notice people wearing much of it anymore.  And in close spaces sometimes "too much" is annoying.. as in airplane rides etc.  I think it depends on how heavy it is applied.  

@bonnielu. My gym has a rule about no perfume or highly fragranced hair products...smaller yoga rooms, when they heat up, can be obnoxious w/ a strong perfumed person.

That said, on my own time, I still wear my favorites, but sparingly...EL Modern Muse for day and Jo Malone Basil and Neroli when I go out. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@qualitygalI do not need any perfume...I do not need any perfume...I do not need any perfumeWoman SurprisedWoman LOL

I love perfumeHeart But I'm trying not to buy any because I have so many.

But I will say that next one I'm going to buy is "Good Girl". That is on my wish listHeart

@VenturaHighway i HAVE gOOD gIRL ON RIGHT NOW-LOVE IT!!!!!I splurged and bought it for my birthday last month, and it smells wonderful....I also have the lotion. I hope you like it as well..... 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN, can you explain the scent.  Don't make me slip now! LOL

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I wish everyone would swear off wearing perfume in public. 

My husband has a perfume sensitivity. One whiff sends my husband looking for his inhaler, gives him an immediate migraine and incapacitates him for the rest of the day. He can go to very few public places...certainly not to church, malls, restaurants,stores. He even had to get an accomodation for this "disability" because he couldn't work in the office setting with all the women wearing perfume.

All I can say is the perfume industry has done a great job convincing people that it's desirable to smell like a bunch of chemicals, not to mention the absorption of these chemicals in your skin.  So many people scrutinize every morsel they eat to make sure it's organic, non gmo and then douse theselves with chemicals.

Sorry for the rant. This has changed our lives. 

All I can say is if someone else can smell your perfume, you put on too much. Think how often you can smell someone's perfume now imagine getting an immediate migraine and not being able to breathe everytime you do. Out in public I have to walk in front of him so I can warn him if I smell any. It's so unfair for him to suffer this way.

The adage is that if you can smell your fragrance on yourself, you are wearing too much.  Others should be able to smell it. 

Honored Contributor

I have ALWAYS worn perfume!  When my husband was alive I only wore Channel No. 5.  He'd always buy it for me.

I also for a short time wore Happy and the other line similar (same brand).  But it seemed so strong after awhile.

Then when I started watching QVC I only wore Philosophy Amazing Grace.  People would come up to me and ask me what I was wearing.....they loved it.  I've taken some to receptionists at Drs offices, you name it.

Once I was walking across a parking lot and passed a man (probably around 30 years old) and suddenly I heard someone calling "Lady"!  I turned and it was him!  He said, "What cologne are you wearing?  I want to buy it for my wife".  I said, "Amazing Grace by Philosophy".  He actually wrote it down!  That had to be maybe 6 or 7 years ago (I have no concept of time).

I STILL wear Amazing Grace and every now and then I'll still get asked what I'm wearing, but it doesn't happen like it used to.

Why?  I'm convinced since it was sold to Coty it's been watered down and doesn't last at all.  You know how when you put on something you've worn and not washed it you an smell the cologne?  Well, not anymore!  It just doesn't last at all.  I know I've read that people get used to the smell, but I do know that you can't smell it at all.

So, I'm trying to find another perfume that will last and that I like (not easy for me).

I've pretty much stopped ordering Amazing Grace.  I  might go back to Channel No. 5 but it's not that appealing to me anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN, can you explain the scent.  Don't make me slip now! LOL

@qualitygal Unfortunately I am terrible at describing perfumes. The notes in it are complex and some of the notes are Jasmine, Cocoa, Almond, Tuberose. I can definitely smell the Jasmine and Tuberose. At 1st spray it smells light, and fresh, and then after a while it develops into a much darker, more decadent scent. You only need two tiny sprays of this one. I actually only use one spray, because I also have the body lotion. It does last on me all day, and I have gotten compliments that Hey you smell really good! The bottle is so cool too! Try to get  asample first. That is what I did.......I have had too many experiences of smelling something that I think I will like and then buy it, and end up not liking it as much....Hope this helps a bit!  I will also add that I would definitely purchase this one again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I buy mist from Bath & Body Works. Too many people around me have respiratory or migraine problems and the mist is less invasive.to others. I do like it. Change fragrance seasonally. Less expensive.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau