Honored Contributor

Re: Have you sworn off buying perfume?

I love wearing perfume but I know it bothers a lot of people so if I wear it, I try to just spray once or in the air like Tova does.

I like Beautiful too by Estee Lauder?

That almond coconut by Laura Mercier sounds good too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I love wearing fragrance to work every day.  When I retire, I'll probably not wear it much because my husband prefers the way I smell au naturale. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm a perfume addict and am trying to not be tempted to buy any more bottles. Unlike some others, I wear perfume for myself, so I always wear it at home as well as when I'm out.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Yes, I don’t buy any perfume.  The last one I bought I never use because it just seems too much-  in fact I rarely like perfume on anyone routinely, because many times it’s overdone-  toooo strong. 

I only wear it if going out with DH, and even then, only sometimes... 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Yes, after trying NEST try-me collection.  Ohhh the headache and postage to return it.

Done!

I do not care for the NEST line either.  I tried a set from Sephora so that was a good thing since returns are free shipping.  Will not try this brand again.  I still use the Philosophy scents even though I feel they are not the same.  I like  Estee Lauder Sensuous Nude.  I loved Tova Signature, but from what I read here it isn't the same so I won't bother to try it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have stopped buying it and stopped wearing it.  I drive two family members to the doctors several times a month.

The waiting room stinks with all of those different scents. It is awful,  I mentioned it to the receptionist and asked her how she could put up with this all day every day.  She said that she takes allergy meds and suffers all day long.

i have found that older women who apparently have lost some of their sense of smell are the worst.  They don’t smell good..they stink! When I walk past them, I can taste the scents because they are in the air around them.

Also, the chemicals in the scents cause cancer.  Every time you inhale your scents it’s like huffing. Why would anyone put those chemicals on their body and into their lungs?

Respected Contributor

Funny you should mention giving up perfume !

We came down to Naples, FL mid-January and I forgot to pack my perfume in the checked bag.  No perfume  on my makeup table here so I decided to forgo it.  Didn’t find anything I liked at the big flea market  on the weekend...no perfume for about two weeks.

Then I was looking through a toiletry drawer and voila in the very back was hidden a brand new bottle of my back-home perfume ( Fan de Fendi ) !!!!!!

Back wearing perfume....for myself !  I enjoy that extra sense of being put together.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I am done also.  I am working through the last one I kept.  No more for me. 

Count me in with Philosophy though, if they ever brought back the original, I would be first in line. I still miss those scents very much.  Pity.   

Respected Contributor

I also wear Crabtree and Evelyn. Nantucket Briar spray cologne $37. I spray it sparingly daily. Two bottles last a year. I love smelling the residual scent on scarves etc. Adds a bit of pleasure and luxury to life.

When I was younger wore Shalimar- too heavy and too expensive for me now.

Regular Contributor

I wish everyone would swear off wearing perfume in public. 

My husband has a perfume sensitivity. One whiff sends my husband looking for his inhaler, gives him an immediate migraine and incapacitates him for the rest of the day. He can go to very few public places...certainly not to church, malls, restaurants,stores. He even had to get an accomodation for this "disability" because he couldn't work in the office setting with all the women wearing perfume.

All I can say is the perfume industry has done a great job convincing people that it's desirable to smell like a bunch of chemicals, not to mention the absorption of these chemicals in your skin.  So many people scrutinize every morsel they eat to make sure it's organic, non gmo and then douse theselves with chemicals.

Sorry for the rant. This has changed our lives. 

All I can say is if someone else can smell your perfume, you put on too much. Think how often you can smell someone's perfume now imagine getting an immediate migraine and not being able to breathe everytime you do. Out in public I have to walk in front of him so I can warn him if I smell any. It's so unfair for him to suffer this way.