Respected Contributor

Re: Have you sworn off buying perfume?

I didn't swear off it I just stopped wearing it.   It wasn't even intentional.  I have one bottle of a very light scent that once in a blue moon I'll spritz in the air and walk into.  

I have an almost full bottle of 24 Faubourg by Hermes that I used to wear.  Well, 20 years ago.  I'm sure I should toss it but I have it on a shelf in a grouping in our bathroo.   It probably smells horrible.   It's a shame because to replace it would cost way more than I'd spend.

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of allergies so can only wear some scents.  I think the last time I bought any perfume it was just a rollerball in Stella McCartney.  I get enough perfume samples from various beauty orders that I don't feel the need to buy it anymore.  I don't wear it everyday just occasionally. 

Honored Contributor

We went to a concert at a local church. As soon as we took our seats we were gagged by a strong scent of Charlie - a scent I hate! My DH & I & our friends were all coughing- me esp.because I have asthma. I went back outside & used my inhaler.When the people who were to sit immed. in front of us came in they were really coughing and complained to the usher.The usher spoke to the lady wearing the scent & she left but those with her were still there, and , of course, the scent lingered. Someone came & asked us all to step out a min & they sprayed some lysol spray. The lady whose perfume it was came back in - it appeared she had washed it off. as it was no longer apparent. Geez - she had on so much that people 2 rows in front and behind her were choking & coughing. What was she thinking?

Honored Contributor

After church today a friend hugged me and wished us a happy anniversary this week. She said - Oh I like your perfume , I never knew you wore perfume. IMO - that is exactly as it should be.Only someone very close to you should smell your perfume. (BTW - I had on Lily of the valley from Crabtree & Evelyn).

Respected Contributor

I buy only one perfume, it is my signature scent.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I have multiple fragrances and I just don't wear them anymore.  I tend to reach for my pure grace spritz for work.  I continue to get compliments and that always surprises me because I still can't smell it on myself.

It has more staying power than we think.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Ladies.... I have a suggestion for those who don't use their perfumes any longer.  Don't throw them away!  I have bathroom wastebaskets that have a lid that pushes in and swings back and forth covering up the contents.  I spray an old "unwanted perfume" on a kleenex and throw if on top.  When the lid swings you get a nice fresh smell!  I know it's expensive bathroom spray but if you can't find someone who wants it, it's better than throwing it away!

Respected Contributor

Nope.  I enjoy wearing perfume every day.  There are so few fragrances I like that don't have an "off" or annoying note to them, that I indulge myself once a year with a new or repurchased fragrance.  I wore Light Blue from Dolce and Gabbana for several years, then Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone, and now I alternate between Black Opium by YSL, and Coach New York Parfum.  I don't have a large collection of perfumes, because when I truly like a fragrance, I tend to stick with it.