Esteemed Contributor

Have any of you switched to all cream products

So I am thinking about going through my makeup in a few months and ditching powder blushes and bronzers and switching to creams. Powder products have just started to not look good on my face. Have any of you did that as you have gotten older.

i do have one question. I don't wear makeup often. Do you find cream items dry up easily or will they last awhile? What are some of your favorite cream products? 

These are the items I am thinking of getting

Bobbi brown pot rouge in pale pink 

melt cosmetics blush in golden hour

Charlotte  tilbury new cream bronzer 

Respected Contributor

Re: Have any of you switched to all cream products

@ccassaday I haven't switched to all cream products. I still have oilier skin.

I do like some cream/liquid options on my old skin.

I used Nars Liquid Blush over my Fenty Soft Matte Powder Foundation today & it looks really nice.

I have Fenty cream blushes & I mainly use eyeshadow sticks now, because they do look very fresh & nice on me.

I haven't had a problem with them drying out any time soon. 

Trusted Contributor

I have dry skin and have preferred cream products for years.  There are a couple "powder" products I use (Laura Geller & Bare Minerals) but both of those companies claim their products are creams to powder.  I don't know exactly what that means and if that is just hype, but they are not as drying as a typical powder IMO.

As far as drying out, it depends.  It depends on the formula, the packaging and how you store it.  I have had some NARS cream blushes, shrink in the jar and then just fall out.  LOL.  I don't think they were air tight jars. 

Cream concealers seem to stay creamy.  Maybe sticks and tubes are better packaging?  that's my guess.  Cushion compacts do seem to dry out faster. But those are liquids in a sponge not really creams.  

I keep my make up pretty sanitary-- meaning I clean the containers, my brushes, where I store regularly.  I keep the lids securely intact.  I think that helps, too.  

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

So I am thinking about going through my makeup in a few months and ditching powder blushes and bronzers and switching to creams. Powder products have just started to not look good on my face. Have any of you did that as you have gotten older.

i do have one question. I don't wear makeup often. Do you find cream items dry up easily or will they last awhile? What are some of your favorite cream products? 

These are the items I am thinking of getting

Bobbi brown pot rouge in pale pink 

melt cosmetics blush in golden hour

Charlotte  tilbury new cream bronzer 

@ccassaday   My hand's raised. I've worn mostly cream makeup for many years. I do get a bitoily in the t zone in warm weather, so do use a settingpowder there, but wear tinted moisturizer on no makeup days, stick foundations on my makeup days w/ cream blush (either Bobbi brown or Westman Atilier), BB Pot Rouge or Westman Atilier  Stick Blush in Petal. I even like wearing creamy shadow sticks from BB or Laura Mercier.

No, I haven't found that my cream products gobad. I keep everything tightly capped in my drawer. I only wear all my makeup about 4 days a week and haven't had an issue or had to toss anything out because of spoilage.

The biggest issue w/ all cream makeup is finding skincare to wear that doesn't cause the makeup to have too much slip. I started using BB Vitamin Enriched Face Base as my moisturizer after SPF, usually have my SPF as last step, but this product is lightweight and serves as a primer.  There's also an Eye Base cream that's a good primer for concealer. 

I'm thinking I haven't worn powder products since I gave up my Bare Minerals which had to be 15 yrs. ago. I'm 73 and powder started looking too heavily made up and chalky on my skin. 

Honored Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

I have dry skin and have preferred cream products for years.  There are a couple "powder" products I use (Laura Geller & Bare Minerals) but both of those companies claim their products are creams to powder.  I don't know exactly what that means and if that is just hype, but they are not as drying as a typical powder IMO.

As far as drying out, it depends.  It depends on the formula, the packaging and how you store it.  I have had some NARS cream blushes, shrink in the jar and then just fall out.  LOL.  I don't think they were air tight jars. 

Cream concealers seem to stay creamy.  Maybe sticks and tubes are better packaging?  that's my guess.  Cushion compacts do seem to dry out faster. But those are liquids in a sponge not really creams.  

I keep my make up pretty sanitary-- meaning I clean the containers, my brushes, where I store regularly.  I keep the lids securely intact.  I think that helps, too.  

@justashopper   I swear I get no financial benefits from always recommending Bobbi Brown, but worked for the company for many years and I find the makeup perfect for my skin color. The correctors and concealers have recently been changed to a stick form. I think it's not only because they'll more air tight than a compact, but women sometimes want the convenience of just swiping on a product, a quick blending and that's it.

Stick foundations are easy to take in your bag for touch ups and the same w/ blushes. Most stick shadows I've found are long wearing and waterproof. I think many women are  getting back into makeup and having to repurchase it after almost 2 yrs. of doing with less. They're looking for faster, quick application that does the job and maybe also travels well, too. 

Respected Contributor

NO NO NO ...   I do not like anything other than powdered blush on my cheeks and just use a good moisturizer.   Creams or other things get splotchy on me.  I don't like the way they look.   I'll use a cream concealer  but often will put a light powder over,  especially if under my eyes to set it.    I no longer use foundation but occassionally will sweep something light over my face in minerals or very sheer powder form.  I do not like creams for anything other than concealer.   I'm in my late 60s.  I used to have dry skin but it's pretty normal now with a good skin care routine and good products.  

Honored Contributor

I just bought a cream blush from Tarte. I had been wanting to try one for awhile since I like a more glowy skin and felt like a cream would do that.  I already wear a Tarte powder blush.  I generally only wear mkeup once a week on Sundays, so I tried it out yesterday.  It went on nice and I didn't have any trouble with it being too bright which is always a fear for me with my light skin.  I did notice last night when I went to remove all my makeup that it had all but disappeared, so the staying power is not as good as my powder blush, but I don't know if that is a generic problem or maybe brand-specific.  

I just can't imagine using a stick foundation, but that just may be from past experience.  I never wore one, but it seemed that people that did it was thick and cakey.  I like less coverage in a foundation.  

I also can't imagine using a cream bronzer only because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to apply it without it being obvious.  

I have used cream to powder eyeshadows before and like them.  They go on like a cream, but the finish after it dries is like a powder.  However, I would only use something like that as a base color since I feel like it needs to be applied with a finger (or maybe a silicone "brush") and doesn't blend that well.  

Contributor

I pretty much have. I use RCMA cream foundation found on Beautylish. It's highly pigmented so a light application gives gorgeous coverage and doesn't give flashback. I use matte stick eyeshadows (usually Laura Mercier), and just picked up some Fenty cream blush but I'm not sure I like it as much as I thought. Bobbie Brown had my favorite blush sticks until they were discontinued years ago. I set my makeup with a light dusting of RCMA's no color powder.  I'm a retired free lance makeup artist and am very picky about my makeup. ☺️

Trusted Contributor

I use all cream products now even though I live in Florida. Between my genetics and the mineral issues in our water, my skin is DRIER here than it was during the Winter on the East Coast. 

Cream products work beautifully now for me.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 59 - I have gotten rid of every powder I own and switched to all Jones Road Beauty.  I have the What The Foundation, face pencil (2 colors), multiple colors of the Miracle Balm, Lip & Cheek (2 colors), an eye shadow (more of a sparkle in a tube) and a brow pencil.  I also use the JR eye cream and Light Moisture cream.

I always thought my face needed the powder because I was on the oilier side, but I was wrong.  The balm products give me a "glowy" kind of look, no dry patches, no flaking, no breaking out.