Respected Contributor

Re: Have all the potions/lotions helped?

I know for sure that skin care products do help me.

During the worst of my gastro problems (about six months) I was too sick to do any kind of skin care. I never got any breakouts but my skin did not look good. Once I started regular skin care again, my skin looked and felt much better.

My biggest problem now is the damage to my chin from tweezing, poking, and shaving those pesky, wiry chin hairs (ok - whiskers) every day. Isomers Copper-P helped, but the new snail serum is even more healing.  After a week of the snail serum, my chin doesn't feel as rough. 

So for me, potions/lotions do help.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Again, @151949, you pose your answer in stark opposites.

Everyone should be using a good amount of sunscreen when they go outside, especially for any length of time. No, it doesn't take gallons. And no, most people in good health get enough Vit D from limited exposure and food.

I think that any sneering at the use of sunscreen is detrimental and also rather odd coming from a former medical professional.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman, the older I get, the more I wonder about topical products being effective for anything other than lessening the appearance of lines and wrinkles. But hey, I'll take that.

I am seriously considering not repurchasing any serums and just sticking with cleanser, toner (feels good, helps remove any trace of MU, and is moisturizing), BHA, and moisturizer.

The only serums that I've been using are Matrixyl and an antioxidant one. Meh.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Firm believer lifestyle plays important role as does genes. Family came from Russia. Everyone both sides high cheek bones. Learned early not to tan. Grandmothers taught me well. Barbra Streisand high cheek bones. My Grandfather looked so much like her Father! Swear they could have been twins. Granddaughter has my family's almond shape eyes, Like Streisand's. Thankful! No sagging neck.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Again, @151949, you pose your answer in stark opposites.

Everyone should be using a good amount of sunscreen when they go outside, especially for any length of time. No, it doesn't take gallons. And no, most people in good health get enough Vit D from limited exposure and food.

I think that any sneering at the use of sunscreen is detrimental and also rather odd coming from a former medical professional.

@suzyQ3 totally agree. Very dangerous position to advocate, imo. 

Honored Contributor

Honestly, not really. I stopped buying into the hype. 

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

It is really hard to say but I'm not really willing to try to find out! Smiley Happy

I must be doing something right since my derms always comment on how beautiful my skin is, even after looking at it through those scary amplifying googles that can see every flaw! The last time I was there she said she wished all her clients took such good care of their skin. 

HOWEVER, I think so much of that has to do with the fact that I always wear sunscreen, hats, etc when out in the sun and I've always had a healthy, active lifestyle, including healthy eating. I think these things matter moreso than all the potions and lotions. Sun damage and bad nutrition (high bad fats, alot of sugar, low fiber) are the main things, imo, that truly affect skin quality, especially long-term. 

ITA about lifestyle. You can't smoke, drink, sun worship, eat loads of junk/sugar/fat, not eat healthy foods (blueberries are terrific for your skin), not exercise,  and wonder why your night cream isn't making you look 10 years younger. 

Respected Contributor

We all have read that many derms recommend the only antiaging cream that we need is sunscreen. I have just started a little experiment to test their claim. Recently I read an article that women who used sunscreen all over their bodies for 52 weeks saw a marked improvement in their skin. I do wear SPF everyday on my face throughout the year. However, in the Winter when I am wearing long sleeves, I don't put it on my body. Well I am going to continue my SPF on my body throughout the year to see if some of my freckles or sunspots fade. Well get to you all in a year! Haha!

Honored Contributor

I believe that genes plays the big role in how your skin will look as you age unless you abused sun bathing.  My mother had beautiful skin but her sister who worshipped the sun has a face full of wrinkles which is too bad.  All her other sisters had beautiful skin.  For my age (mid 60's) have really good skin.  I use Marula oil at night (sometimes I miss a night or two) and keep my skin hydrated with moisturizer and protected with SPF.    I think most anti-aging products are a quick fix and there is nothing wrong with that but do not expect permanent changes in your skin.  Half the battle is keeping your skin hydrated and protecte and age gracefully and be happy.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I do think a lot of factors go into it, such as genetics and the life you live.  I compare myself with my three sisters.  They have a lot more wrinkles and aged skin than me.  I can only attribute that to I do not go out in the sun much compared to them.  I haven't for years.  I also only drink water for the most part, often, and exercise, wash my face every night before bed with Oil of Olay soap and then wipe with a Ponds makeup wipe to make sure all is removed.  During the colder months I usually use Oil of Olay Regenerist cream at night.  No big secrets to it, just commonsense things: exercise, water, no sunbathing, eat good, get a good night sleep.