Valued Contributor

Re: Have all the potions/lotions helped?

[ Edited ]

None of the gazillion lotions and potions I tried over the years ever did anything for my skin. And so I finally went to see a dermatologist and decided to follow her expert, medical advice about what really works (to protect and improve skin and address wrinkles, redness, etc.) instead of listening to any skincare companies' marketing hype. It was truly the best decision I ever made! 

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949 I've always used soap on my face/skin and people have always asked me what I use bcz I have good skin. I used to use Ivory growing up, then found out that these drugstore "soaps" are not soap at all, but detegents (originally formulated for laundry). Now I use a handmade soap from a local soap maker and love them! 

I always felt weird when people complimented me on my skin bcz I knew even as a teen it was genetics.

I did notice a big difference when I used Perricone H2 serum for 4 weeks. My skin felt 20 years younger. It was supposed to "just get better" after the 4 weeks, but now my skin is same old..until the next shipment. I'm not sure one can continually use that product for some reason...other than it's expensive.

My problem now is my face looks good, but I can't find anything that works for my neck and it's getting a little "waddly"...along with the deep rings, which I've always had. People swear by this and that, but so far, nothing has worked for me. I just ordered Perricone Sub-d...we'll see.

Feel like a hamster on a wheel some days.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not so into all the face creams and products much,i do try them  but never found one that did what it claimed but i do have to say this............

A  little over a yr ago,I  deceided to use Neutrogena products because of the price and found  them very good  and just as good as the expensive ones and i was very happy with it.

I also began using Jergens self tanning lotion on my arms. Soon after  I began to notice my arms were all crepy and ugly........lol 

Needless to say I put aside the Jergens and returned to my Jose's Body Butter and the crepynesss quickly dissapeared!  I had always used Jose's products but left for  cheaper priceing

I began to think,"WOW, if the Body Butter did this for my arms,imagine what the Face Butter and do for my face!

I pulled out my stash of JMFace Butter and applied it! WaLa!!!  It really,really took away any wrinkles I had and puffed up my skin just like the Body Butter did for my arms.

I am one of Jose's early lovers that begged for a face butter because I was using the Body Butter on my face. I only left because of pricing .I have good genes and thought I didn't need much care.......lol

For me,this was the best test I ever could have made of a product!! It cured my crepy arms and puffed up my wrinkled face  Thanks Jose!!! <3     Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes I'm sure the products I am using and haved helped.  I get so many genuine compliments (out of the blue) all the time.  I know what my genetics are and I'm from a long line of face melters and droopy wrinkled skin and mine was well on it's way many years ago but with the facemaster, Serious Skin EGG, Skinn neck device as well as Perricone makeup products, my skin is smooth and much younger looking and feels the best it ever has.  Also since I've been using Consult Beaute Champagne Firming Creme, my crepey skin is now gone!    There are products that will work for everyone but finding them is the trick.  Many try a few and say nothing works, etc.   For those that don't want to use products and are fine with not trying things then that's their choice.

Honored Contributor

Clarisonic Smart Profile!! Made huge difference in short time. More than Mia2. Texture and clarity. Pleased, With the results. As for lotions and creams. My routine very simple. Hydration and SPF.
Esteemed Contributor

Here is my two cents -- if you take a good look at some of the older female hosts, who have access to and can afford the very best products -- you might determine that all the lotions and potions can only do so much.

I refuse to spend a lot of money on skin care products and I keep it simple.  Right now I use Purity cleansers, Argon Oil, and Dr. Denese day cream.  

I rarely wear eye makeup, and frankly, I think all that tugging, pulling and fussing around the eyes might lead to more wrinkles in that area..  Just a thought.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone's post is so interesting!

I'm a firm believer in we reap what we sow! If I did nothing for my skin health, I know that would show in all kinds of unwanted things.

I happen to love ingredients - just like in cooking, certain things simply go nicely together. That's what I am using in my skincare - a few strategic skin ingredients - and yes, I had to discover them.

But in a lot of cases, I have found, that there are many things that do the same job. By the same token, I don't like being hoodwinked into some very keen marketing! 

Honored Contributor

Use reasonably priced products to cleanse and moisturize and some retinol and save the big bucks for laser treatments.  You really can't stop most wrinkles I'd guess (I am a lucky oily skin one too), but redness and broken caps and other splotchy issues can be fixed easily!  Costs some bucks, but sure makes a difference!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is really hard to say but I'm not really willing to try to find out! Smiley Happy

I must be doing something right since my derms always comment on how beautiful my skin is, even after looking at it through those scary amplifying googles that can see every flaw! The last time I was there she said she wished all her clients took such good care of their skin. 

HOWEVER, I think so much of that has to do with the fact that I always wear sunscreen, hats, etc when out in the sun and I've always had a healthy, active lifestyle, including healthy eating. I think these things matter moreso than all the potions and lotions. Sun damage and bad nutrition (high bad fats, alot of sugar, low fiber) are the main things, imo, that truly affect skin quality, especially long-term.