Valued Contributor

Re: Have all the potions/lotions helped?

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Again, @151949, you pose your answer in stark opposites.

Everyone should be using a good amount of sunscreen when they go outside, especially for any length of time. No, it doesn't take gallons. And no, most people in good health get enough Vit D from limited exposure and food.

I think that any sneering at the use of sunscreen is detrimental and also rather odd coming from a former medical professional.

I am not sneering at the use of sunscreen. I clearly wrote WHEN APPROPRIATE. I have actually had women come on this board and say you need sunscreen when in the house because you walk past the windows. Do you think that is appropriate?

@151949 Yes, it is appropriate if you have large windows and most especially if you use anything with retinol in it. Or if you have an entire lineage of skin cancers in your family.

As for vitamin D, I live in the Northeast where the sun barely shines..so a vitamin d supplement is necessary anyway.

Honored Contributor

I'm a soap and water fan.  That's all I've used for years - along with bath gloves to exfoliate ... face - everyday; body - couple of times a week.  I have used one product consistently for years:  Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream.  I wear makeup everyday.    I'm 75 and think I look pretty good.  No wrinkles, no age spots.   It may be good genes ... my mother lived into her mid 90s with no wrinkles.  

Most of the women I know who are about my age also look good.  I have one friend who will turn 80 in five days - when I met her I thought she was younger than me.  

I plan to keep doing what I've been doing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Moisturizers, AHA, BHA, alpha arbutin, and other ingredients do improve the look of skin.

Sunscreen helps to prevent damage that can make you look older.  Avoiding the use of cleansers and other products that are too harsh for your skin also helps your skin look better.

I don't think it's all hype (though much of it is).  I mainly have a problem with how much companies charge for things that don't warrant a high price tag.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Clarisonic Smart Profile! Say it again-->Huge! Game changer for my complexion and texture. Instantly, Improved clarity and texture. Use twice daily. Even helped the little bumps on my upper back arms. Indulge cleansing and masking. Love masks! DIY pennies on the dollar. Exfoliating relieved my dry sensitive skin. Who knew? Removing dead layers, Makes sense to me. Fresh new skin softer and smoother. Wash cloth alone, Never achieved what Clarisonic Smart Profile results have. Plan on doing exactly the same routine. Enjoy pampering myself. Whatever works for you I say keep doing.
Honored Contributor

I just found this thread. It's a good one. It's a question I'd like to ask a lot of women, but haven't got the nerve. (strangers) Most women who have great skin that I know, older, always say, laughingly, 'oh, just soap and water and maybe a moisturizer if I need it.' They do nothing! And here I am trying everything to beat Father Time. But you know what? It's my fun. I'm still trying to outwit him and sometimes I think I'm succeeding-but other times I see the awful truth.

Here's one thing I know for sure. A while back I thought I should be using retin A. Tried it for about a year and a half. Every morning my skin from the lips down was red and peeling. Every single day. One day I thought, that's it. Why should I go around looking like this every day just to have less wrinkles when I'm old. I quit. And I can tell you about two months later that very area that peeled and had the redness is exactly where I got lines. Out of the blue they came!!!! I did it to myself. I brought on something I could have staved off. End of story. But it's a true story.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

My grandma used Noxema and Ivory bar soap on her face and she had beautiful skin. Then again, there wasn't a plethora of lotions and potions to choose from either like today.

Maybe those were the only two products!!??  (Back in the day).   

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  Yes, we all used Noxzema back in the day-it's all there was. We loved it.

Trusted Contributor

No. I am no longer going to buy new "miracle" products and just stick to drugstore retinol products, DHC products, and ceveve night cream, along with spf 50 sunscreen, which I wear 365 days a week.

I also tried lots of products over the years most stink of too much frangrance and are irritating. I even tried Paula's Choice, which was not irritating, but I HATED all of those steps. I just don't want to waste the time.

I have healthy skin, not perfect, but pretty darn good and wrinkle free and I think it has everything to do with:

1. eating healthy

2. walking 3 miles 4 times a week

3. doing  30 minutes of yoga 4 times a week

4. I limit toxic people from my life and get rid of them

5. I try to reduce stress

6. wash your face every night

7. exfoliate every day

8. take care of your teeth

Super Contributor

When I compare my skin to my husbands who uses only soap and water and despite my nagging, no sunscreen, i see a big difference in that he has numerous wrinkles and his skin is sagging. We are the same age. I swear by my Isomer Retiniacin and Copper P serum. I also regiously use sunscreen. I just wish I had started with the sun screen earlier. Could have saved wear and tear to my fair Scotch/ Irish/ English skin but when I was in my 20's tan was the in thing and sunscreen was rare.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@151949. Yes, for my fair skin, it is appropriate to wear SPF even when I stay inside. I spend time reading in my sunroom, for example. If my furniture has faded from the sun streaming through the windows, you betcha without sunscreen, I'd have sun damage. 

Per the name - a SUN room is designed specifically to admit a max amount of sun in.

Yes, windows on 4 sides but has plantation shutters closed partially. The sun still gets through. Others may not be as vigilant, but after having my scary experiences w/ skin cancer, sunscreen in the mornings that takes seconds to apply is no big deal to me.