Respected Contributor

Re: Have all the potions/lotions helped?

@Witchy Woman- Hi!  Great question!  I am 68 and over the years have always taken care of my skin and been in love with makeup/skin care since early teens.  Comparing myself to my sister and my mother who did not use anything on their skin, I have to say yes, it definitely has made a difference.  My skin is in better shape than theirs was at this age.

My Aunt (Mom's sister) used baby oil on her face and it looked pretty good at 95 yrs, when she passed away.  So I think, depending on family genetics and heritage (German here) using something on your skin consistently can make a difference.

The only thing is my neck, which all of us had issues with.  Oh if I were only brave enough for a neck lift, lol!  But I've gotten to the place in my life where I will do what I can to look as good as I can and be satisfied with it.

I try not to be obsessed, but certain skin care products do work better for me than others, so I cautiously keep trying different things, although not as much these days.  I have found a couple things that work well for me and products are getting more expensive!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Again, @151949, you pose your answer in stark opposites.

Everyone should be using a good amount of sunscreen when they go outside, especially for any length of time. No, it doesn't take gallons. And no, most people in good health get enough Vit D from limited exposure and food.

I think that any sneering at the use of sunscreen is detrimental and also rather odd coming from a former medical professional.

@suzyQ3 totally agree. Very dangerous position to advocate, imo. 

Sunscreen is probably the most effective potion/lotion in the bunch!! My son recently asked me for skincare advice -  a family ritual/bonding time moment when my kids were teenagers was facial masks for all   Woman LOL !!  so I guess our 'fun' stuck in his head!! Woman Happy I  advised him to find a good chemical free sunscreen and gave him a tube of Honest.

For me, I love my serums best-  whenever I think they're not doing anything and I stop - my skin looks noticeably aged.  I exfoliate - or peel  - or scrub (I believe too much is damaging to the skin) once a week as well.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In the morning I wash my face in the shower with Dove soap and water & apply moisturizer for the day. In the evening I wash with dove soap & water and apply Argon oil for the night.Not JM brand - but a much less expensive brand I get online.I am 68 and have almost no wrinkles ! I do not believe it has anything to do with creams and potions and everything to do with genetics. My Mother had gorgeous skin and all she ever used was Noxzema.My grandmother also had beautiful skin and all she used was an Avion moisturizer, and she lived into her 80's without wrinkles.

I swim at least 4 to 5 times a week in a chlorinated pool too , which you would think would dry out my skin and cause more wrinkles.

@151949

Do you not use sunscreen?

When appropriate - I do NOT put on gallons of sunscreen every day like some on this board say they do.(then complain their vit D is low).

Again, @151949, you pose your answer in stark opposites.

Everyone should be using a good amount of sunscreen when they go outside, especially for any length of time. No, it doesn't take gallons. And no, most people in good health get enough Vit D from limited exposure and food.

I think that any sneering at the use of sunscreen is detrimental and also rather odd coming from a former medical professional.

I am not sneering at the use of sunscreen. I clearly wrote WHEN APPROPRIATE. I have actually had women come on this board and say you need sunscreen when in the house because you walk past the windows. Do you think that is appropriate?

Sun through the windows = sun, with all the UVA and UVB attendant. Surely you know this. Look at what sunlight through the window does to exposed draperies, furniture, carpeting, and even flooring. We are not immune, and as I'm sure you're aware, the effects are cumulative.

Hold out your forearms in front of you and compare the left and right. If you're like me, you left is different. Mine is definitely darker and more speckled. That's the effect of sunlight through the car window because I've been so bad about applying blocker to my arms whenever I go out.

My Vitamin D levels are good because I take supplements. I go outside very, very little, and do my yard work when the Weather Channel says the UV index is 1 or 0. No one should use Vitamin D as an excuse to fail to wear a good sun blocker.

Honored Contributor

I am almost 65, use good skin care, I dont expect any miracles, but I do feel it is good for preventative maintenance, cant hurt!! Worth the investment, better to spend money on that then on doctor bills!!!

Valued Contributor

Once when I was in the middle of a big project, I stopped being so diligent about my skincare, healthy eating plan and exercise. It was like being the before picture, lol!  I looked a bit haggard and puffy. That convinced me that what I was doing was working for me. I stopped eating on the run and started to prepare my healthy foods again and returned to taking care of my health and skin. When I am on point with all of that, I don't spend much money on cosmetics. I don't even own foundation, my skin looks better without it.

Respected Contributor

What a great topic.  I, too, am in my 60's.  I have never spent that much on creams and "miracle" products.  I have never gotten involved in the super expensive Dr. products.  I keep my skin clean and hydrated.  Very simple.  I've had many people including my dermatologist comment on what great skin I have.  I believe staying hydrated, exercising, and having a positive attitude are what make us look our best.  From all the money I saved by not going crazy on lotions and potions, I've traveled.  Now I have wonderful memories and not a trash can full of nonsense.

Honored Contributor

I think my appearance is due to genetics and staying out of the sun as much as possible. I do not think any skin care I have used helped me to look younger than my chronological age.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting thread. My dear mother taught me when I was a young teen that it's important to moisturize my face/neck daily, and not overdo the sun. I'm close to 70 and have always followed her advice. I've learned over the years that I don't need to buy the most expensive face care - lower and mid-priced items work fine for me, and I don't need anything more than some basics. Genetics helps, but I'm also convinced that gentle cleansing at night followed by a nightly and daily moisturizer is pretty much all I need. It's easy to identify women who haven't taken care of their skin or have spent a lifetime in the sun. And gentle treatment of my face has been better for me than using a lot of electronics or deep peels. I recognize my age and know that I can't repicate my looks when I was 30, but I sure won't stop my routine either! Have the lotions and a regular routine helped? Absolutely!

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Witchy Woman, the older I get, the more I wonder about topical products being effective for anything other than lessening the appearance of lines and wrinkles. But hey, I'll take that.

I am seriously considering not repurchasing any serums and just sticking with cleanser, toner (feels good, helps remove any trace of MU, and is moisturizing), BHA, and moisturizer.

The only serums that I've been using are Matrixyl and an antioxidant one. Meh.

@suzyQ3

I have also been re-examining my skin care routine and feel as though some of the products I've purchased lately (mostly serums) are more hype than help. I follow Dr. Dray, a dermatologist on YouTube, and she is a minimalist when it comes to skin care. What I've heard from her has been making a lot of sense to me and I'm now working towards simplifying my routine. I do have an appointment with a dermatologist next week though so it will be interesting to see what is recommended for me in the end.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the interesting responses!

I'm embarrassed to say I have rarely used sunscreen,  even when I ran daily (for many years).  I must admit that I enjoyed that little glow I got from being in the sun.  Probably by any standard, it was too much exposure.

I'm also embarrassed to admit that, in my youth, I never hesitated to sunbathe with baby oil!  Yikes.  As I aged, I limited my time in the sun and did wear sunscreen when at the beach (not that often).

My dear mother made the mistake of tanning most of her life and her skin did suffer from it.  Nevertheless, she continued on until she was too sick to get outside! 

I live a very healthy lifestyle, exercise almost daily and, I think all of that has helped.  I have a light olive skin tone and never had any blemishes.  Good cleansing and routine masks have really diminished my pores, which I think really helps.

As I said, I will continue with my (mostly) Isomers skin care, but I've been buying less than in the past.  Just got overwhelmed with the number of bottles of serums and stuff.

I've tried some products with Retinol and they didn't work for me.  Even just a small amount irritated my skin.

Just like coloring my hair, I am unlikely to give up taking care of my skin any time soon Cat Happy