Frequent Contributor

While at Walgreens today I noticed they are selling this retinoid along with cleanser and moisturizer. The packaging says to help acne but I am wondering if this could help rosacea. Sometimes retinoid are prescribed but I have read too, to stay away from them if you have rosacea. Just wondering if  you have used this particular one if you have rosacea. TIA!!

Honored Contributor

It was very expensive for a tiny tiny tube. 

Frequent Contributor

My dermatologist recommended it for clogged pores on my forehead and it works very well. It just went OTC. It was prescription only and I find it better than Tazorac which I was using before.  I found Target was the cheapest place to get it.

Super Contributor

My son uses prescription differin and he says the strength of the otc is not the same as the prescription

Super Contributor

@Love orchids wrote:

My son uses prescription differin and he says the strength of the otc is not the same as the prescription

Prescription Differin was available in 2 strengths. The lower strength is the one now available over the counter. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@bosmamaa wrote:

While at Walgreens today I noticed they are selling this retinoid along with cleanser and moisturizer. The packaging says to help acne but I am wondering if this could help rosacea. Sometimes retinoid are prescribed but I have read too, to stay away from them if you have rosacea. Just wondering if  you have used this particular one if you have rosacea. TIA!!

I have rosacea and can use Differin. It's much gentler than Retin-A and my skin can tolerate it every other night. My skin responds well to retinoids, though, and rosacea can be so different from person to person.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree every rosacea is different.   A derm prescribed Differin for me over 20 years ago.   It did not irritate my rosacea - but it didn't improve it either.  I quit using prescription Differin after one tube because I thought it was too expensive and it did nothing.  I've never tried the OTC Differin.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I just saw the commercial on TV last night, hopped on my computer and ordered it.  Walgreens, Walmart and Amazon have it. I ordered mine off Amazon.  I should have it in a couple days. 

The Differin is .1% strength for .5 oz.and the cost is $11.39.  I ordered the cleanser and moisturizer also.

I'll post back after I use it for a while.

Respected Contributor

I did get my differin set.  I thought I'd give you my thoughts after my first use.

The cleanser doesn't seem very cleansing.  It isn't creamy and it doesn't lather.  It is suppose to be gentle and non irritating.  Well, it is not irritating for sure.  It doesn't do much at all that I can see.  I think I will have to use my regular cleanser and follow with this one maybe.  It is just a liquid that you rub around with water. 

The active product Diferin is just a gel you put all over your face.  I forgot to do my neck, but will do that tonight.  It says to only use once a day.  It warns you to NOT use twice a day.  Even though it is a small tube, it should last a while.

The moisturizer seems really nice and it does seem very moisturizing.  It says you can use it all over your body as often as you like.  Some of the reviews said it was thick and greasy, so I was hesitant about that product since I have very oily skin.  It went on very nice.  This morning my face is super soft and moisturized.  Not really oily at all.

The big test is in the mornings for me.  I have sensitive skin and eyes.  My eyes puff way up when I use some skin care. My eyes aren't puffy at all this AM.  YAY!

So far so good.  I think I will only use this skincare for a week or so to see what my skin does.  I won't use any of my other stuff.  We'll see.....

By the way, I'm 60 with very oily acne prone skin.  I have large plugged pores and am also prone to cycstic acne.

Esteemed Contributor

It can smooth out your skin and they say it lightens dark spots but I haven't seen mine lighten.  I like it but you can't wax for 10 days after you use it to be safe.  That's a huge pain since I only use it a few days a week at best.  I recommend it, my skin looks better when I use it.  You have to always use sunscreen when you use this.