Valued Contributor

Re: Have You Stopped Using Wen?

I used wen for a very long time assuming i was using "the best" but never ever got the results like what we are shown on tv. Just didn't work for me and i tried all the different products, formulas, and used it as directed. I have marked hair loss at my temples that wasnt there before, but i dont know if i can attribute that to wen or not. I switched to nick chavez and couldn't be happier. my hair is actually shiny now which it had never been before using wen or anything else.
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I tried WEN two,different times several months apart and while my results were OK they were not,spectacular either so for me it came down to cost for the product.  NOw THe WEN fans will tell you WEN is no more expensive than other quality,hair products when you consider the cost of shampoo and conditioner but I must disagree strongly. Let's lay it out here.  MY hair is very short (think Judi Dench).  ACcording to the Wen directions I should use 12 pumps for each cleanse.  A 32 oz bottle of Wen contains 192 pumps according to the directions so that equals 16 applications of WEN.  I wash my hair 3-4 times a week so one 32 oz bottle of Wen if I use it according to instructions 3-4 times a week would last me 4-5 weeks at a cost of $49.50 for the bottle. IF I use the 5 weeks average for a bottle my cost for WEN is $49.50 x 10 bottles a year or $495.00 a year.

Now what I'm use is Pureology Voluminizing shampoo.  A 33 oz bottle is $54.40.  I use one squeeze of shampoo approximately the size of a quarter for my shampoo.  ONe bottle of Pureology lasts me one year.  IN addition I use It's A 10 spray Leave In Conditioner.  THree spritizes is all I need for my short hair.  EAch bottle lasts approximately 4 months at $39.00 per bottle so that is $120.00 per year for conditioner.  SO my expenses for hair care for cleansing and conditioner are $175.00 a year for product vs $495.00 a year for WEN at the recommended usage.  THat is a huge difference and I fail,to see how WEN users can claim equivalent costs.

@KathyPet

Who are you referring to? A handful of people? There are plenty of Wen users, including myself, that will admit that it's expensive...but until something else comes along that provides IDENTICAL RESULTS we will continue to pay the price....

Valued Contributor

I stopped using WEN after trying it two different times and losing more hair in the shower each time I used it. Back to my regular shampoo and keeping more hair on my head!

Trusted Contributor

@A60_Chevy wrote:

IF SOMEONE TOOK MY WEN FROM ME I WOULD CALL THE FOR HELP!!!

For you or the poor shmuck, who tries to take your Wen.🤺🤼‍♀️

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Trusted Contributor

No, I have not stopped using WEN.  

Super Contributor

Yes, unforutnately. I used to love BGT and enjoyed the remoist treatments, sprays, etc. Sadly, after 1.5 or 2 years of enjoying WEN very much, it made my hair extremely dry, brittle and hard to manage. There was significant buildup as well because my flat iron would literally melt the residue into my hair.

Feedback in the WEN forum became so hostile, I gave up on trying to combine formulas, experiment, concoct - too much going on to make the WEN game worthwile at the end of the day. I am thrilled for those who love it and sad for anyone who experienced hairloss. For me, it was a great fad but didn't live to up the hype long term. More like a fun distraction.

Chaz evolved as a bueinss person as well and his success is extremely well deserved but he started with a single product for a single cleanse, then advanced to first and second cleanse, then the product needed all the ancillaries, etc. Not fo rme.

Trusted Contributor

I did, and have two bottles left. I also lost more hair than usual. I thought about reasons it could be, but my hair started to look thinner so I stopped. A year later it looks fuller again. I never posted on it because I was new at the time here and saw lots of women arguing over hair conditioner it just seemed petty. So, I didn't contribute. I still wonder why some were so against it to post so in every thread on it and bash. Heck, I lost hair and didn't join in. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

My butician advised me to stop using Wen.  She's very good, so I'm following her advise.  

A class action suit.  I think I need go no further.  

Good luck to everyone!!!!!  Love my sisters!

I was a colorist for years and I am now an esthetician working in a dermatology office and also for a plastic surgeon. I would never advise anyone to stop using a product they are having good results with. I would also never advise anyone to stop using a product thats ingredients are in literally millions of other products on the market in both hair care and skin care. I don't use Wen but I have different reasons and they are I find it too expensive (IMO) and I do not think that sulfates are evil like he and other sulfate free shampoos are. The largest reason for color loss are water and sun, not sulfates. I also don't use skin care with any fragrance (chemical or natural) and try not to use fragrance in hair care, though that is much more difficult.

Just because they had a class action law suit that was settled means nothing. I do not think there has been a skin care or hair care line that hasn't faced lawsuits or had people who had their eyes swollen shut or hair falling out. Not everyone can use everything and an ingredient that works for one person will not work for another, and others will even be very allergic to it. Some might not have an allergy but just a sensitivity and they were able to use another product that even contains the same exact ingredient but can't use another product with that same ingredient but in higher quantities so they had a reaction that didn't have with the other product because the quantity in the other one wasn't enough to give them a reaction.

The only reason it was settled was because they would have spent more money in lawyers fees than they would have if it continued. Finding out the cause of hair loss is very difficult  to determine and with 100% certainty is nearly impossible. I work for 4 derms and I see this all of the time. To tell you the truth I really wish Wen would have not settled because if they didn't these people would have never seen a cent and I believe that with all my heart. I am not a Wen user but I am neither a lover or hater of Wen but what they have in their product is nothing special or different at all than nearly all products on the market. They do have essential oils in there and I very much think these people had a reaction to those. Since "natural" products have become much more popular so are the essential oils like lavender, mints, citruses, etc... in them and since then derms offices have been getting inundated with people who have had reactions to them ranging anywhere from dermatitis, blistering, redness, eyes swelling shut, etc... While people may not be out and out allergic to these ingredients they have had reactions. You would be hard pressed to find skin care products they aren't in, though in smaller quantities but definitely in most shampoos and conditioners.

While your beautician may be great at cutting, styling, etc.. she obviously doesn't know much about product formulation or the ingredients even in these products because if she did she would recognize these ingredients are in the majority of shampoos/conditioners. To tell someone to stop using a product when they are having success with it really bothers me because she is a professional and people will take her word for it, as you did. Not only that, they will tell others, just like you did. I have no doubt in my mind you did because you had a serious concern for others when you started this thread. You trust your stylist and trust that she has a large weath of knowledge in styling but also presumably product and ingredients. So on no more than a cosmetolgists uneducated point of view (and I am not trying to say that to sound mean or harsh) how many women will stop using it just from what she said?

Like a previous poster said, if I wore Maybelline mascara and my eyes were swollen shut because I was sensitive or allergic to an ingredient that the majority of other women could use with no problem at all, should Maybelline be sued or others warned not to use it when they have no sensitivity or allergy like myself?

Now I am not a fan of essential oils like the ones mentioned above but that is because they cause irritation below the skin (even if it cannot be seen) and irritation causes the slowing of collagen production which is what keeps our skins firm and helps fight aging. Research has also shown that it isn't necessary to see or even feel these sensitizing effects on your skin suffer damage as well. Many of these oils are also phototoxic meaning sunlight causes a chemically induced skin reaction. Like I said though if your stylist says you shouldn't use this then you can also cancels out the great majority of other hair products on the market as well.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

I used WEN for 5 years on and off but wasnt getting good results. I finally gave up when I couldnt justify the expense any longer. Had to wash my hair every day or it looked dirty. Smelled real good though but I guess I am one WEN just didnt do anything. With my hair type I need a good cleanse or my hair gets very stringy. I stopped using a year ago. I guess every product has folks who love it.....and others not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

No. I haven't stopped using Wen, nor do I ever plan to.
My only regret is that I didn't start using it years earlier than I did. I only use Wen products on my hair, which is now fuller, thicker, shiny, soft, frizz-free, and GORGEOUS ! My scalp and hair are cleaner and healthier now than they ever were with any shampoo