Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Stopped Using Wen?

You mean after it turned my thick, coarse hair into the consistency of chewing gum?

Esteemed Contributor

I tried WEN two,different times several months apart and while my results were OK they were not,spectacular either so for me it came down to cost for the product.  NOw THe WEN fans will tell you WEN is no more expensive than other quality,hair products when you consider the cost of shampoo and conditioner but I must disagree strongly. Let's lay it out here.  MY hair is very short (think Judi Dench).  ACcording to the Wen directions I should use 12 pumps for each cleanse.  A 32 oz bottle of Wen contains 192 pumps according to the directions so that equals 16 applications of WEN.  I wash my hair 3-4 times a week so one 32 oz bottle of Wen if I use it according to instructions 3-4 times a week would last me 4-5 weeks at a cost of $49.50 for the bottle. IF I use the 5 weeks average for a bottle my cost for WEN is $49.50 x 10 bottles a year or $495.00 a year.

Now what I'm use is Pureology Voluminizing shampoo.  A 33 oz bottle is $54.40.  I use one squeeze of shampoo approximately the size of a quarter for my shampoo.  ONe bottle of Pureology lasts me one year.  IN addition I use It's A 10 spray Leave In Conditioner.  THree spritizes is all I need for my short hair.  EAch bottle lasts approximately 4 months at $39.00 per bottle so that is $120.00 per year for conditioner.  SO my expenses for hair care for cleansing and conditioner are $175.00 a year for product vs $495.00 a year for WEN at the recommended usage.  THat is a huge difference and I fail,to see how WEN users can claim equivalent costs.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I tried WEN two,different times several months apart and while my results were OK they were not,spectacular either so for me it came down to cost for the product.  NOw THe WEN fans will tell you WEN is no more expensive than other quality,hair products when you consider the cost of shampoo and conditioner but I must disagree strongly. Let's lay it out here.  MY hair is very short (think Judi Dench).  ACcording to the Wen directions I should use 12 pumps for each cleanse.  A 32 oz bottle of Wen contains 192 pumps according to the directions so that equals 16 applications of WEN.  I wash my hair 3-4 times a week so one 32 oz bottle of Wen if I use it according to instructions 3-4 times a week would last me 4-5 weeks at a cost of $49.50 for the bottle. IF I use the 5 weeks average for a bottle my cost for WEN is $49.50 x 10 bottles a year or $495.00 a year.

Now what I'm use is Pureology Voluminizing shampoo.  A 33 oz bottle is $54.40.  I use one squeeze of shampoo approximately the size of a quarter for my shampoo.  ONe bottle of Pureology lasts me one year.  IN addition I use It's A 10 spray Leave In Conditioner.  THree spritizes is all I need for my short hair.  EAch bottle lasts approximately 4 months at $39.00 per bottle so that is $120.00 per year for conditioner.  SO my expenses for hair care for cleansing and conditioner are $175.00 a year for product vs $495.00 a year for WEN at the recommended usage.  THat is a huge difference and I fail,to see how WEN users can claim equivalent costs.

@KathyPet too bad you did all that math with completely WRONG info.  If you look at any bottle of WEN or the chart listed on QVC , it has what the recommended pumps are.  In case you don't have a bottle you can look at,  QVC has a chart on every WEN cleansing conditioner listing.  Recommended use is as follows:

Short Hair - 8 pumps for each cleanse from 16oz bottle = 16 Total

5 each from a 32 oz = 10 Total

Not sure where you got your information.

Super Contributor

Absolutely I stopped. Had very bad experience with WEN. My hair looked worse using it so dull, no bounce or shine and I had some hair loss. Never again!!  It should be off the market personally.

Esteemed Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@KathyPet too bad you did all that math with completely WRONG info.  If you look at any bottle of WEN or the chart listed on QVC , it has what the recommended pumps are.  In case you don't have a bottle you can look at,  QVC has a chart on every WEN cleansing conditioner listing.  Recommended use is as follows:

Short Hair - 8 pumps for each cleanse from 16oz bottle = 16 Total

5 each from a 32 oz = 10 Total

Not sure where you got your information.

MY hair is cut out over my ears but longer in front of my ears and longer in the back so I used the 12 pump figure but even if you use the 8 pump figure you would get 24 applications per bottle (192 divided by 8).  AT cleansing 3 times a week a bottle would last 8 weeks.  THus 6 bottles a year at $49.50 a bottle you are at $300.00 and let's not forget the shipping charge so $315.00 per year vs $175.00.  Not a small difference.  If people want to spend that much additional on a hair care product that is their choice but the pricing is simply not equivalent and that claim needs to stop being made.

Respected Contributor

@beauty0125 wrote:

Absolutely I stopped. Had very bad experience with WEN. My hair looked worse using it so dull, no bounce or shine and I had some hair loss. Never again!!  It should be off the market personally.

I used the Maybelline mascara in the pink and green tube and my eyelids swelled nearly shut. This mascara is beloved by millions. Since it reacted wrong with ME should it be taken off the market too?

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I tried WEN CC and it did nothing for my very fine hair.  However, I know people who have super thick and course hair and their hair is fabulous.  I'm just not sure it's the right product for my hair type.

Anyhow, several months back Sandra was selling a beauty favorites kit that I purchased and among the products was the WEN mousse in lavendar.  I started to use the mousse and loved how full my hair seemed to be.

Right before I started to use this mousse, a stylist (who I no longer go to) talked me into getting a Brazilian Blowout telling me that even though my hair wasn't "that damaged", she felt the conditioning would be greatly beneficial to my hair.  I fell for her spiel.

Fast forward to the next time I went to get my hair cut and colored and my new stylist noticed that all over my head, I had sections of hair that were broken off nearly to my roots.  When I told her about the Brazilian Blowout, she nearly flipped her lid and told me that for my hair type, I never should have had that done and that the stylist just wanted money from me for that.  She suspects that is what caused all the breakage.

However, because I had the BB around the same time as I started using the WEN mousse and the breakage followed, while I'm sure it was the blowout that cause my breakage, I'm taking no chances so I discontinued the mousse.

Had I had wonderful results with the product though, I certainly wouldn't stop using it due to what a stylist said.  Let's not forgot that they sell products too and more often than not they get a commission for selling the products carried in the salon.      

Honored Contributor

No, why would I stop using something that gives me great results?

I use an asthma medication called Advair and have for 20 years now. It allows me to breath every day, which is difficult for me without the drug. It's very effective for millions and millions of users. It's also linked to some deaths and has several settled class action lawsuits on record, as do MANY successful drugs. For me and millions of others, it's effective and improves the quality of my life. I'm not going to stop taking it.

If you have a problem with something, anything, stop using it. I don't use Downey fabric softener because it makes me itch. I don't use Exfolikate because it gave me a terrible skin reaction. I have never had a problem with WEN, so I see no reason to stop using it.

Honored Contributor

No, I have not stopped using Wen. I never used it exclusively .....only if I am washing my hair daily will I use it in between using regular shampoo. I think it is a wonderful conditioner but I don't rely on it to actually "cleanse" my hair. It never made sense to me that using it exclusively would not block the hair follicles ....apparently I chose the best use of it for myself. Others, need to try it and see what works best for them. However, the law suits haven't really changed my opinion of how I choose to use it.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. I also applied for class action lawsuit action. The 25 dollars will cover cost copay when I went to dr. He did numerous tests, I am fine.

I do not know what caused a slow but steady hair loss but it stopped after I went back to a sulfate shampoo.