Respected Contributor

Re: Have Walmart and Amazon Joined Forces?

@monicakm wrote:

@On It 

But having an Amazon return label on the  outside and Amazon receipt inside the box...it was mind blowing knowing the two are fierce competitors

Walmart has done some weird things lately with their shipping. They are trying to deliver online shipped orders from the store rather than their warehouse. I have had 2 orders lost and one with missing items. Whatever they are doing, I wish everyone would go back to their respective corners and do what they do best.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm   YES it happened to me with Charmin last year when it was hard to come by.  Ordered from Amazon, received a notice it was delayed.  A few days later it came in a Walmart box from ALASKA!  Crazy but appreciated

Honored Contributor

I tried WM home shipping years ago and it was a disaster!  I gave them like 3 chances and every time something was damaged due to poor packaging or it would never show up.  Then pickup became a service.  LOVE that!  But I recently ordered some jeans online and threw in a few other items for home delivery.  The items trickled in instead of everything at once.  I'm sure they were shipped from different locales.  Maybe they've figured it out now.  No "uh ohs" in this order.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac 

from ALASKA! 

LOL!  Goodness!  

Like I'm sure a lot of you do, we keep a good supply of paper goods and non perishables.  But one thing we didn't have to be concerned with during the first round of the pandemic was t-paper.  We have bidets on our toilets.  It cuts Way WAAAY down on t-paper, not to mention cleans better. 

A friend made fun of me in not a so very fun way years ago when we got our first one.  When t-paper shortages became a thing in 2020, she said she thought of me and how she wished they had them.

Respected Contributor

Something else.

In July I ordered a Vera New York Bradley handbag from Walmart. It never arrived. Ten days later it was declared lost and sold out, and I received a refund.

It appeared on my doorstep with NO DELIVERY NOTICE the first week of August. I put it in the closet with the box and didn't give it a second thought.

This week I got an e-mail from Walmart saying "We know your handbag was delivered. You have ten days to return it or we will recharge your credit card."

I'll keep it, but this kind of action is new to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 - If you received the item, why didn't you contact Walmart and have them recharge your credit card, before they contacted you?

The idea that some have that, if something goes wrong with a delivery of an item you actually ordered, and it turns up after you've been given a refund, it's yours to keep for free, is legally wrong.

The only time that a person is free to keep an item without paying for it, is when it's an unsolicited item.  In other words, you didn't order it.  This used to be an unscrupulous practice years ago - for instance with book or record clubs.  They'd send a product and then demand payment, if it wasn't returned, even threatening legal action.

The law was put into place to stop that and protect customers from companies demanding payment for unsolicited goods.

You got the handbag.  Surely you didn't think you could just keep it?

(And in case anyone is wondering, I have also had this happen in the past, where an item didn't arrive and I received a refund.  THEN the item was delivered and I contacted the seller to recharge my CC.  You're either honest or you're not.  No gray area in this instance.)

Respected Contributor

@Venezia  I agree with you, except for two things: I didn't know how the package got to my house, and the last time I contacted Walmart about recharging a refund I spent DAYS on the phone dealing with mistake after mistake. I would never do that again.

I'm fine paying for the handbag -- I just never have received a request like that and it surprised me.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Is it a monopoly or a duopoly?  Altered universe? 

I placed an order, for home delivery, with Walmart.

It included Downy Unstoppables.  Just ond of a few products

but it arrived today on it's own.  That's not particularly uncommon.

for orders to trickle in.  I got it today from AMAZON. 

Amazon package, Amazon "gift" receipt. 

I would never buy anything like this from A because it

would cost so much more.  Checked my WM account. 

Showed it was delivered today.  Checked

my A account and this product

doesn't show up in my orders.

Has this ever happened to you?  

Have fierce competitors joined forces?

@monicakm 

I dug deeper and this is what I found.  The purchase I made from Walmart from a third party seller came in an Amazon box, 

Here's a customer with the answer why customers might find their order in an Amazon or Walmart box.

"A few weeks ago,  I added some chai tea to my cart on Amazon, clicked the buy button, and didn’t think anything more of it. That is, until it arrived a couple days later in a Walmart box.

I opened the box, initially not knowing what it was because I don’t usually shop at Walmart. What I found inside was the tea I’d ordered. It didn’t take much detective work to figure out what had happened: I’d ordered the tea from Amazon’s marketplace, where third-parties can sell anything from TVs to detergent.

The seller that I’d bought from accepted my order, then ordered the exact same thing from Walmart for a cheaper price, had it shipped directly to me, and pocketed the money.

It’s called “retail arbitrage,” and it’s more common than people think.

I looked on Walmart’s website and found that what I’d ordered was a whopping $19 cheaper than what I paid on Amazon (I’d ordered the tea in bulk). Since Walmart offers two-day free shipping on orders over $35, the seller pocketed almost $20 on a single transaction, making both me and Amazon look a bit foolish in the process.

I reached out to an Amazon spokesperson to confirm whether my suspicions were correct and ask if this was an ongoing issue for them. A spokesperson directed me to the company’s Drop Shipping Policy for Marketplace sellers, which explicitly notes that “purchasing products from another online retailer and having that retailer ship directly to customers” is not permitted." 

There are other stories I found just like this one on the internet from buyers purchasing from third party sellers.  Obviously, it's going on with both Walmart and Amazon.  

You could report it.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

Wow, thanks!  I absolutely will look into this and report it.  I was going to anyway, just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  I just checked prices.  I guess I got lucky this time.  I paid about the same as Amazon.  Some on Amazon were a little higher, some a little lower.  Not enough to fuss over.  Thanks so much for the detective work Smiley Happy  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

I got this email yesterday from Walmart.  I questioned that part of my WM home delivery was delivered by Amazon.  I wasn't complaining to him, just curious.  Times are a changing...

"Hello Monica, Good day! We always make use of the fastest shipping method to deliver our products on time. If you are not satisfied with the product you received, please let us know so we can make things right for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding."  Sincerely, EngineM