Valued Contributor

Have U ~or~ Do U ..Cut yr own hair?

For some time now, I've been so tempted to start cutting my own hair, (esp during/since COVID, with lost, closed/ businesses, (like my fomer hairdresser))

My hair grows like a weed. But I still have *very thin, *very baby fine hair.

.. I whacked it off when it grew quite long, all the way down my back .. & I mean whacked!  I grabbed long ponytails and whacked!  Then I "evened it out." 

..  LOVED how it flowed, toustled, and blew with the wind.  Was much cooler in the summer also.  And I think i looked younger with short hair.

But I didnt keep it trimmed, while short, after my infamous "whacking," & now I'm afraid to cut it again, because I think the cut might be more than a trim, by now.   

... I'd like to keep it short. (And don't really have someone to help with the back cut, or even difficult places, (w/o pestering some one, like some unsuspecting neighbor)

.. I have the electric hair cutter set with attachments... 

....... I just don't have the courage, or a plan!

BTW ...   I just came across this online article.. doesnt seem like it helps me much tho-->

"How to cut your own hair at home: the ultimate guide for all hair lengths"  (found in:   Stylist dot co dot uk   )

Any "helps?  ? videos?  .. instructions?

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Respected Contributor

Re: Have U ~or~ Do U ..Cut yr own hair?

@TwinkleBell I began cutting my own hair during the lockdown. I am still doing it. My hair is an undercut somewhere between chin and shoulder length depending on how often it is cut. I should disclose my hair is very thick, so mistakes don't show so much.

There is a tool (but I lost the name) that someone mentioned in a previous post. It holds your hair in position and you cut using it as a guide. You might do a google search and find it. It looks like a large, flat clip.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't been to a salon since Fall 2019. My hair is fairly thick with a tad of natural curl; I let it go grey a dozen years ago. I invested in hair cutting shears, thinning shears and a CreaClip cutting template (2 pieces of plastic with very short teeth and a hinge on one side and a fastener on the other)all from Amazon. I wash my hair,part it, comb it apply template, slide it down my hair with amount I want cut showing. DH cuts it in less than 5 minutes and it is perfect every time.  If I want to have layers, I twist A small amount of hair and clip thinning shears once or twice. I like my hair past my shoulders.

Honored Contributor

I'm wearing a COVID haircut right now (self-cut) but it's uneven and need to be tidied up so I think I'm going to hit the reset button and get it cut at the salon.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Nope

Esteemed Contributor

I've been cutting my hair at home since Covid but honestly, mixed results. I start with a trim rather than going all in! 😉

Honestly, having fun with the Pandemic Ponytail. So much so that I bought some seriously nice real silk scrunchies on Etsy.  

I do wear it up in a clip for Zoom Meetings but I may try the Messy Bun look. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never missed a salon appointment even during Covid. My friend cut and colored my hair during the one month she had to close. No way would I cut my own hair. It would be a disaster. 

Respected Contributor

No

Valued Contributor

I cut and color my hair since the pandemic started. I actually like it better than when my hairdresser of 22 years did it. She always cut my layers shorter than I liked. Highlights were good though.

My highlights are heavier since I do it, like it is almost totally bleached. I have naturally darker blond hair, so it is not hard to bleach. 

My hair cut is a bob and I use hair shears.

It isn't easy to do either, cut or highlight, and it isn't perfect, but it is ok. I don't know if I will ever go back to the salon

Honored Contributor

I would love to be able to cut my own hair but it's super choppy and layered.  I however cut my own bangs using the "twist" method and then point cut the ends.  Even when I go for a cut I tell my stylist I'll take care of my bangs.