Honored Contributor

Re: Have U Crossed the "tell-tale" Beauty Bridge?

At  62.. I no longer am fighting to look younger.  I just want to remain strong and healthy. That is all that matters. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm 57 and I can't wrap my head around a post like this.  It's either very sad or very funny or perhaps I just don't get the point.  You feel "old" because 19 year old college kid asked you if you wanted a discount?  Somehow, you think there's difference between looking 50 and looking 60...in the eyes of a 19 year old?  In your own eyes????   At 57 with daughters in their 30's now,  I look 50ish and perhaps even 60ish.  I don't care, either way.  Age truly is just a number and today it's impossible to look at someone and know how old they are.  I am not interested in looking young or even younger.  Good thing because there are no creams, potions, lotions, serums or gels that do that for me or for anyone else.   Those things can help us look better and fresher and prettier but not younger.  I choose to spend my money on other things, so my beauty regimen right now is to cleanse and moisturize and I do wear makeup.  I have good genes, so I have no wrinkles and nothing has "fallen" yet but when those things happen, I'll opt for medical procedures rather than topical treatment.  Not to look young, to look better.  I don't think of 50's or 60's or even 70's now as "old".  That isn't the world I live in, my friends who are older than I am are fit and active and love life and positive.  We talk about skincare and makeup, of course, but in a positve way.  My advice to you would to forget that age thing you are hung up on and just focus on sprucing yourself up a bit.  A new hair style, a new hair color, a makeup makeover, lose 10lbs, buy some new clothes, maybe an nice piece of jewelry.  Whatever makes YOU feel good.  Whatever makes you happy and then go live your life.

I probably felt that way too at your age, with good genes.  I still have the good genes but when I read my recent hospital report and it stated, "elderly 73 year old female," it really caught me by surprise and hurt my feelings.  It really did, I certainly did not consider myself elderly and I know I didn't look elderly!  Guess 73 is elderly to them.

Respected Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

Rina, that remark about your cape cracked me up!  I think you should rock it!  There was a Seinfeld episode about Mr. Castanza meeting up with a mysterious man who wore a cape. Just think, you can be a woman of mystery!

Nobody likes to appear old, especially if we still feel young inside. The only thing I can hope for is to continue to try to keep fit and healthy and be well groomed. I might as well be a good looking old lady and get a discount too. Lol!Heart

Yes!  I'm gonna start working on that!

The main thing I need to work on is my clothes.  I've got no problem with skincare and haircare, but since I've retired, I really started dressing like a bum everyday.  It's soooo comfortableWoman Very Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am 60 years old & very fortunate to look much younger!! When I ask for AARP & senior discounts I've actually been carded!! Once recently when I showed my AARP card to get the 15% discount at Outback Steakhouse the manager came over to say that it was not right for me to use someone else's card.I showed him my driver's license to prove it was my card.Boy was he embarrassed!! After profusely apologizing he picked up our entire check!! 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree Ah the ever practical and sensible...of course you are right but that doesn't help the surprise I get every time I look in the mirror.When you get past 60 the changes are fast and furious.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I am 60 years old & very fortunate to look much younger!! When I ask for AARP & senior discounts I've actually been carded!! Once recently when I showed my AARP card to get the 15% discount at Outback Steakhouse the manager came over to say that it was not right for me to use someone else's card.I showed him my driver's license to prove it was my card.Boy was he embarrassed!! After profusely apologizing he picked up our entire check!! 

Okay, so what are you using on your face?  - - If you don't mind my asking.

LOL!

Smiley Embarassed)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Let me guess it was some younger kid that said it? They don't have a clue how to tell someone's age.LOL!!!

Yep.  Probably a college student.  I realize, since I've retired, I've started wearing "old hag" clothes ... things I said I'd never wear when I got older.  For example, in the winter, I have a black cape that I wear .. every day.  It's so warm & comfy, I love wearing it all the time, eventho' it makes me look like batman.  SMH .. LOL!

________

LOL.......LOL......best laugh of the day so far thanks!

Honored Contributor

I'm 61...what bridge??? LOL!Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

Rina,  I decided when I turned 50 that I was not going to allow myself to get too casual, especially when I am in public. Unfortunately, in my area, many people dress extremely casual to the point of looking sloppy. So when someone steps out in nice clothing, they tend to stand out.

Awhile back I noticed a woman, who must have been at least in her sixties come out of a hardware store. She looked so chic!  She had long hair, jeans with wedge shoes, a tunic, and some really cook turquoise jewelry.  I thought that she must have been lost because I have never seen a woman looking so cool here in my town. I wanted to run up to her to tell her how fantastic she looked but by the time I decided to do that, she was already in her car about to drive away.  Women like that make me feel so inspired and they reassure me that it doesn't have to be over just because we are older.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina I was thinking about the commercial with the mom and her child in superman capes at the grocery store.If you have a grandchild that batman cape could be perfect when you have outings together.I always thought batman trumped superman for cool.