Trusted Contributor

Has anyone watched on PBS THE POWDER ANDTHE GLORY??

About Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden.........we can think them for skin care and cosmetics and I adore both of them and sadly they never spoke to each other..........it is fabulous and you can find it also on YOUTUBE.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone watched on PBS THE POWDER ANDTHE GLORY??

Hi Downton! I taped it and have yet to watch it.  I just have not been in the mood to watch tv lately,but I love the history of MU and Hollywood.

In the wee hours of the morning Turner Classic Movies shows many old news reels-usually centered around statuettes, but they will come up with some films about Max Factor, Edith Head etc...

Many years ago, I read a biography about Elizabeth Arden.  I would love to see if one is out on Helena Rubenstein.

Thanks for posting,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

They had a PBS special on these innovators a few years ago.

Thanks for letting us know we can get it on youtube!

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have "Face Paint -- the story of makeup" by Lisa Eldridge?

I got this book a long time ago, but haven't even looked at it yet!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

A very good Helena Rubinstein bio book came out in 2014 called:

Helena Rubinstein, the woman who invented beauty.  It takes her from her life in Poland, to Austrailia, to Europe, then finally America. I thought it was an excellent book. I got it from my library.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up on the cosmetic wars documentary on Youtube.  Truly interesting.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. I saw it a few months ago and recorded it. It's very interesting how competitive the two women were. I thought it was done very well. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen this documentary but your post has interested me to go and watch it on youtube. Since I came of age cosmetic wise in the 60s, I wouldn't have ever used these brands at all. My first lipstick was probably by Hazel Bishop and bought at Woolworth. My first foundation and face powder were by Angel Face. 

I have read biographies on Estee Lauder and Charles Revson -- another dueling pair of makeup icons too. Estee Lauder always has the most beautful makeup and skincare print ads with model Karen Graham. Who didn't want to live a life of luxury? Estee pioneered the gift with purchase but I never bought them because I had acne and her line wasn't for me. As much as luxury brands were sold exclusively in department stores, I avoided those sales people with a passion.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa, II will be sure to look for it! I don't know why I find these things so fascinating, but I do! Thanks for the recommendationSmiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got this from the library as well- very, very interesting!