Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Accutane for Acne? If so, what did you think?

Okay, it worked wonders for my daughter's skin 15 years ago. My son's skin also cleared up. I will tell you that is a last resort. My son lost weight and it took several years for him to gain any of it back. It also changed his hair from straightish to curly. My cousin, a physicians assistant, was very upset that he went on it because of the side effects and would beg us to get him off of it. That is why it is so very closely monitored each month. The accutane now comes in a generic form-Clarivis-much more affordable. We were lucky that my insurance covered everything but the co-pay for the doctor and $10/ mo on the drug. Good luck! It indeed does work. Nothing else did for my kids.

Honored Contributor

I had an accute reaction.

Honored Contributor

Many people have great success with it, but I had to stop it secondary to elevated liver enzymes and my grandson had to stop it because his hair fell out.

Super Contributor

I used Accutane years ago in the early '90s when adult acne started. I remember that it was quite expensive, a lot of regular blood work was necessary, and I had a lot of dryness; however, the outcome was incredible. My face really cleared up and stayed that way! Now I just turned 50 (yikes!) and am struggling again with a bit of chin acne. Nothing horrible, just annoying! As long as you follow your doctor's instructions and keep him/her informed of your progress/any concerns, I believe that Accutane can indeed be helpful to some people who are really suffering. Good luck to all who try it!

Frequent Contributor

I took it in my 20s and then again about two years ago at 54. I LOVE IT. I had cystic acne. My skin is beautiful. I only regret that I have scars from my teens. My lips peeled while I was taking it but it went away when I was finished with the prescription. Dry lips sure beat acne cysts and scars. I don't mean to sound like I am bragging about having beautiful skin...it has nothing to do with me...it is all due to the prescription. It is so nice not to have to deal with acne.

Honored Contributor

isn't there a class action lawsuit regarding accutane now? I just looked it up. apparently you should proceed with caution