Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried the beauty blender sponges....

that Patty Riley reps on HSN? I thought they looked like they would do a good job only putting on a small amount of foundation. But they are $20 plus S&H and tax so that made me hesitate esp. after she said they only last a few months. I'd like to read reviews from anyone who has tried them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried the beauty blender sponges....

You can buy a dupe at your local CVS for less than half of that price

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Is it made of the same material? I would think they would have a patent.

Respected Contributor

Do not buy it.  It's JUNK!!!   I should have returned mine but threw it out when I couldn't even clean it.  I used Dawn liquid dish detergent.  That thing should have been 20 cents at the most.  Please don't waste your money on it.  

The best sponge applicator I ever rece9ved as an egg is the one that comes with the Tarte Tape Concealer.  At least Dawn cleans it right up and it's nice and soft and looks brand new after a short cleanup.  

Honored Contributor

I'm a big beauty blender fan. They are a pain to clean, unless you have the special cleaner. I don't find that the dupes work as well, at least not the ones I've tried.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I am lousy when it comes to using a beauty blender.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I end up with poor results.  I recently tried the new silcone "sponge" and that wasn't any better.  I'll stick with my fingers.

Respected Contributor

I have the nude colored BB and I don't know what it is about this sponge, but I think a lot of the "dupes" out there are not the same. There are only 2 dupes I've tried that are really close and much cheaper. The Real Techniques orange sponge is really good and a recent purchase for me was the green EcoTools sponge, which is also really good. I myself can tell about a sponge before I even wet it. If they're too hard I don't like them. These 3 that I like are really squishy when I get them damp. I received a trio of sponges in my Boxycharm from the brand Pur and they're awful. I have them away. They were way too hard. 

I did see some good reviews on the Flower Beauty purple sponge, so I did order that one. It's $10, the Real Techniques is like $5 and the EcoTools is about $9 but it comes with a smaller one also. I say for the price I would recommend the Real Techniques and they sell them at most Walmart. 

I will also say that there are some foundations that are best applied with a brush. I think the Beauty sponges are great for keeping my foundation from looking cakey. At times, even when I apply foundation with a brush, I will still go over it with a damp sponge to make sure it's more sheer, if that makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the micro size BB sponge for concealer application mostly and I use it dry then blot it on a paper towel to get the remains off of it. I wash it out once a week with Dawn and it gets really clean this way. The micro sponge is the perfect size for undereye and inner corner concealing*. Blot on concealer and the finish is perfect, no streaks or cakiness. I wear mineral powder foundation and rather use a brush for that. 

Oh and why Patti said they last only a couple of months is hog wash. I've been using mine for months and nothing has happened to it...performs the same as the first day I used it.Woman Happy

*I find the best way to get a flawless concealer application under the eyes and inner corners is to dab the BB sponge into your concealer then blot it on the back of your hand first then take it your eye area. This will help prevent putting too much on at once and it will also warm up your concealer product a bit so that the application goes on smooth and even.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

that Patty Riley reps on HSN? I thought they looked like they would do a good job only putting on a small amount of foundation. But they are $20 plus S&H and tax so that made me hesitate esp. after she said they only last a few months. I'd like to read reviews from anyone who has tried them.

I've always used those triangle shaped latex free makeup sponges. I can wet the, has all different angles to get around nose, corners of eyes, etc. I don't get $20 or more for a sponge & extra $ for special cleanser. 

Before the BB sponges came along, brushes & fingers did fine for us. These are another unnecessary gimmick to fill my makeup drawer that I just pared down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Real Techniques facial sponges and I also purchased sponge rounds.  Real Techniques work better and wash easily.  You can purchase at Target for 2 for $10 and change. I wash after each use and they last a long time.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength