Regular Contributor

Has anyone tried Black Current Seed Oil supplement for Hair, Skin & Nails?

Hello,

I was considering purchasing Black Current Seed Oil supplement. It is a powerful essential fatty acid supplement for hair, skin & nails. Dr. Andrew Weil recommends it over Biotin. It also has excellent reviews on many of the popular vitamin web sites. I just wanted to hear if any of the ladies here have tried it and what results you have experienced. I have used Biotin, which makes my hair & nails grow, but it also causes my face to break out. So I gave up on the Biotin and I'm searching for a replacement. Any information you have time to give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Black Current Seed Oil supplement for Hair, Skin & Nails?

LindseyTaylor, I do not take this as a supplement, I use it on my skin. However, there may be some controversy in ingesting too much omega 6, since it can be made in your body. (It is not an EFA.)

Dr. Becker was saying that turmeric/curcumin regulates the excess omega 6s in your body. So, if you are going to take this as a supplement, you might want to do a little more research about potential excess omega 6, and think about adding turmeric also.

(I hope I stated everything correctly.)

Maybe better explained is that 6 competes with 3....well, you can take it from there.

Regular Contributor

I was looking on Swansons web site which is where I purchase all my supplements. You are correct that it is omega 6. Swansons refers to it as an (EFA) so I got confused. Not sure why Andrew Weil recommends it. I guess I'll look for something else. Thank you for your help.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't mean to discourage you...actually, I ingest evening primrose, which is also high in 6, only to get a well-rounded 3, 6 & 9. But I also take turmeric, and also use the spice generously when I make grilled chicken.

Some say that 6 is an EFA, others not.

I was just alerted because I caught Becker's program again recently where he was making the statement of 6 competing w/ 3. His program was on turmeric, so he was reading the studies about that.

Everything has to be in balance, though. If there are other parameters (you are a smoker, you have inflammation/disease, poor diet...) those are all contributing factors in what you should and should not take.

I wouldn't hesitate on using black currant seed oil (or other oils/essential oils such as in Chaz's products) for scalp massage. One thing I personally do not need to take is biotin/extra biotin.

You may want to consider hylauronic acid as a supplement for hair, skin & nails (joints, too)! Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Dr Weil recommends either Evening Primrose Oil or Black Currant Oil for hair, skin and nails. I alternate them for many years now. But, it has not helped my hair at all. Very, very thin. I also take tumeric, but did not know to take it due to the other supplements, just good for you. I also take Omega 7 Sea Buckthorn Oil supp, very good for you, helps to keep tissues lubricated from the inside.