Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone here given up wearing nail polish?

On 3/25/2015 maddiecat said:

I'm contemplating going polish-free for awhile to see how I like it. I've never done it before! Have you?

Yep. I polish-free for 2 months ... after I retired. TODAY, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I polished my nails. They look much better! Wink

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

For me, the default is no polish. Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to be able to wear polish, but everything I've tried makes my nails peel. Even taking vitamins intended to improve your nails hasn't helped their condition.

I thought for a while that Perfect Formula was going to work, but my nails couldn't tolerate it, either. I don't have the patience for regular applications of acrylics, and since I spend a lot of time in the garden, it would be a waste of $$$.

Trusted Contributor

I gave it up for 10 years, but now I'm back with a vengeance. Perfect Formula works decently even if it looks cotton-candy pink in natural light. If I can get all 10 looking good (same length I mean) at the same time, I'm going for navy blue.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Nail polish never lasts more than a day or two on my fingers so I've just given up. I will wear a nude, or very soft pink for special occasions, but usually I just don't bother anymore. IMO, nothing looks worse than chipped, messed up nail polish. Yuck!

Clean, filed, and moisturized/manicured is better in my particular situation. However, I do keep my toes polished. That lasts much longer.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Trusted Contributor

i stopped wearing nail polish some time ago. From the age of 14, I always wore a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails hardener/polish because I had fragile, peeling nails. It is interesting to me that my nails no longer peel and are stronger than ever before. Also, they grow so fast that I have to file them once a week.

Honored Contributor

I just started playing around with polish, again. It's just a fun thing for me, not a routine. There's so many pretty colors out.

Respected Contributor

Had acrylics for a year in the 90's. Decided no polish on fingernails but have a monthly pedicure and get a soft pearly peach polish. ( glad I bought several bottles of the Joan Rivers peach color years ago--- hope there's something similar when they run out. The color is soft and very natural looking.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I get a manicure every 2 weeks, no nail polish. Just clear stuff. My nails grow very fast. I could go every week.
Honored Contributor

If I wear any polish, it's a tinted clear. I keep my nails short and neat. At work, I use my computer a lot and can't type with long nails. Or I should say, it impacts my speed.
Respected Contributor

In my lifetime, my nails have been unpolished more than polished. It never stays on and once it starts chipping, I start peeling it off. I don't wear any kind of lip products either because I alwats chew it off before I leave the house. I do wear a full face of makeup otherwise. As for my nails, I don't do anything to them either. When they break or get rough, I use the nail clippers on them.