Contributor

Re: Has anyone here given up wearing nail polish?

Years ago before I had kids, I painted my nails religiously every week. But by the end of the week, they were always chipping. After I had my first child, I just couldn't find the time to do my nails as often. I started wearing them short and would buff them. Now my kids are almost grown and I can't tell you the last time I had my fingernails painted. It's been years. I do however, always paint my toenails in the spring/summer. I don't keep it up over the winter, but I do like bright hues on my toes. And they don't chip as much so I don't have to do them quite as often.

Trusted Contributor

When I retired a couple of years ago, for some reason I became obsessed with collecting nail polish. In fact I just opened two packages totally nine polishes before I began this response. I hadn't worn polish, other than on rare occasions, for at least 20 years. I love all the different color and finish possibilities. I change polish at the least every other day, usually daily. I keep my nails relatively short and they're probably in the best condition they have been in many years. (They used to be nubs due to peeling and breaking.) I think bare nails can be beautiful, but I doubt I would continue being as conscientious about cuticle oil, rubber gloves when doing dishes, etc, if I didn't have the reward of pretty colors on them.

Regular Contributor

I love when my nails are polished, but unless I get gel or shellac, the polish just doesn't last. With all the housework and running around after my young son, I am too hard on my nails. I get them done once in a blue moon for special occasions, but wish I could keep up with a weekly manicure. At this point, all I really do is keep them short and put a clear coat of polish on about once a week to keep them looking decent.

I always, however, wear polish on my toes when wearing open-toed shoes. I usually get a pedicure when the warm weather arrives and then try to keep up with it as best I can on my own. Then, after a month or so, I'll go back and get another pedi. I have the ugliest feet so I feel like I need polish to make them look a little better!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Ophelia

Respected Contributor

I generally wear a neutral polish on fingernails and always have something wild for my toes!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I stopped doing my nails in 1999. Tired of the flaking and touch ups with regular nail polish then the cost of maintaining fake nails. My nails are plain and I a m happy. The rare times I do i will use a clear coat for the shine

Honored Contributor

I would love to be able to do away with salon mani/pedi....but it looks unprofessional when I do it myself. This is mostly because I can't get rid of the excess cuticle like they do at the salon. Maybe my skin produces too much cuticle because so many women who do their own nails say it looks great. Would love to save the time and risk of cleanliness.

Honored Contributor

Never. It's not an option.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I never wear polish these days unless I am going to a wedding or other special event.

I always like to joke to my family if I didn't like an event for some reason that ""I put on nail polish for these people!""

Valued Contributor

I rarely wear nail polish on my fingernails, but go through 'spells' a few times a year when I will do so. I know myself, and if I see one little chip, I will peel all of them off. Just can't stand looking at it being less than perfect. Luckily, I have nice nails on their own.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

On 3/25/2015 tigriss said:

I had to quit because I couldn't get the polish to last more than a day or so due to my weak nails. I've got to strengthen them so the polish will last longer. I am now wearing Nailtiques 2 and take my vitamins. They are strengthening, so hopefully I will be able to get polish to last quite a while, a week would be nice.

Hi tigriss,

I use Sally Hansen's products which I listed below with great success:

http://www.sallyhansen.com/nails/nail-care/base-top-coat/double-duty-strengthening-base-top-coat

DOUBLE DUTY STRENGTHENING BASE & TOP COAT

STRONG, SHINY, CHIP-RESISTANT NAILS!

and I also use HARD AS NAILS® COLOR

HARD TO RESIST COLOR
  • Available in 36 beautiful shades

My nails now grow longer and are "hard as nails", and my nail polish also does not chip, and lasts longer than one week.

Give it a try tigriss, as you may also find it will work wonders for you too, and I wish you continued good luck strengthening your nailsSmile.