Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

I got an infection in a tooth that had had a root canal so it had to be pulled. My dentist sent me to an oral surgeon to do this because he was the one who would put in the post for the new tooth (crown) Healing takes a few months then you will fo back and a post will be put in and bone graft if you need it. After this heals you will be ready for the crown. I had iv sedation for both the extraction and the post implementation. This was four years ago and I]ve had no problems. Cost was about $4000.00. Look for the best in their field;this is not the place to save money.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

Don't know how it used to be, but I just got an implant within the last year, and it was not a big deal. Wish the process didn't have to be spread out so much, but am very pleased with the results. My dentist used enough deadening that I didn't feel a thing, and the procedure was very quick. Yay.

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 lucky-girl said:

More thanks....so glad I posted this.

I'm glad you posted this as well. Dentures for me or...just shoot me! LOL

Super Contributor

Lucky,

First, the orthodontist needs to check to see if you have sufficient "bone" in the area for the titanium implant. Once completed, you will be on a strong antibiotics for 10 days....this was the worse part for me; made me ill because of their efficacy. Regardless, this is the best way to replace a tooth....I did not want a bridge. Was out-of-pocket expense for me since insurance would not cover....they said it was "cosmetic." "Really", I said ...."do you really want to see me with a missing tooth....nasty"!

Honored Contributor

On 10/25/2014 Southern Fried Chick said:
On 10/21/2014 lucky-girl said:

More thanks....so glad I posted this.

I'm glad you posted this as well. Dentures for me or...just shoot me! LOL

I'm the opposite- shoot me if I have to wear dentures. UGH.

Super Contributor

In general for everyone's information: Not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. Make sure your dentist does a thorough medical history including drugs you are taking, chronic diseases such as autoimmune disorders, and even personal habits. There are actually contraindications for dental implants and you can google that topic for more info.

Frequent Contributor

Make sure they do a good color match . That's the only thing I was disappointed in. Mine is WAY to white but it is near the back.

Respected Contributor

I had a tooth implant on my right front tooth two years ago. An oral surgeon did the tooth removal, bone graft, etc. My regular dentist had my implant tooth made and fit it in when the time came. I had to wear the flipper tooth for a little over four months. The problem with my flipper tooth was that I could not eat with it in my mouth. The part that fit up in the roof of my mouth was so thick that I just could not eat with it in. Sooooo, every time I ate I was snaggle puss. Needless to say, I did not go out and eat in public much. Everything went well, although the tooth implant does not feel like a normal tooth. Mine is much thicker in the back then the other front tooth. It was so annoying to me that my dentist eventually built up the backside of my other front tooth a little to make them match each other better. That helped, but it will never feel normal.

The only other problem I had was that I did have some tingling and numbness of my lips/face for about a month after the tooth was removed and the implant was put in. I went back to the oral surgeon as I was concerned. He said it does happen sometimes but almost always resolves itself. Mine did.

One of the biggest things I worried about was the matching of the color, but that turned out great. My teeth are kind of a weird shade, but they matched it really well.

Good Luck...ask me any questions you want.

Frequent Contributor

blueLagoon...99.99% of the time an orthodontist has nothing to do with implants. I think you have your dental specialties confused. Generally an oral surgeon or periodontist.

Frequent Contributor

Many comments here about how expensive implants are. My old landlord and his wife spent last winter in Yuma, Arizona so they could visit a dentist in Mexico who did their implants for about a third of the price.

Before you say yuk. Would be afraid of cleanliness, infections, etc.....these people are very fussy. They did research before deciding on which dentist to see. They both were very pleased with the results. And are going back this winter to get more work done.

There was an article online somewhere last fall about all the people going to Mexico for dentistry because it is so expensive here...even if you have insurance which does not pay all that much sometimes.

Mike and his wife also got new glasses in Mexico which are also ridiculously expensive for less than half the price it would have cost them in the U.S. There have been a number of online articles about people going to foreign countries for various surgeries and even plastic surgery because prices in the U.S. are so high.

I'm not advocating travel to a foreign country for any of these procedures or others but if you are desperate I guess it's something to think about......