Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever used any skin care that actually resulted in "makeup optional" skin?

@Shanus @Which acid peel pads by PTR do you use? I found several online.

Thank you! And, do you use Retin A every night?
I appreciate your knowledge.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever used any skin care that actually resulted in "makeup optional" skin?

@sidsmom wrote:

The 'secret' to makeup optional skin is,

-good genes

&

-good diet

My mother has a translucent complexion (thank you, Mom)

but pair that with my plant based diet...I'm 59yrs old & 

don't wear foundation or blush...haven't for many, many years.

I don't moisturize w/ anything special & just bar soap in the shower.

There was a recent thread about foundation application....

I was surprised by the # of responses...but I kept thinking,

"I bet every single one of these posters has pretty skin

and they don't need to cover it w/ all that foundation."

@sidsmom  Yes!  When I was about 12 years old all my friends Mothers would comment about my beautiful skin.   I never thought about it until I became an adult and  I am told how beautiful my skin is by doctors...my skin doctor told me that I have the skin that her patients come to her to get and even my  Dentist brought it up when he was looking in my mouth😄.  I hear it all the time...

I look  in the mirror and of course only see faults.  

I do believe it is due to my genetics 95%, but; I also eat a very healthy diet...and use sun protection 365 days a year.  

and of course I am  skin care junkie and use a lot of topical products

Respected Contributor

Even if I would consider any of my skincare products makeup optional, I would still wear makeup. I love wearing makeup and it adds color to my light- medium complexion. My birthday is next week and I will be 70. I do see that  as I age,  I prefer less coverage with my foundation. 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor 

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Tricolor 

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday! Woman Very Happy

Thank you so much. My daughter is coming in as we speak for the weekend from Cleveland. My son lives nearby. My husband has something planned for tonight but everyone is hush hush about it. So it wll fun.

Honored Contributor

@skincaremaven wrote:

@Shanus @Which acid peel pads by PTR do you use? I found several online.

Thank you! And, do you use Retin A every night?
I appreciate your knowledge.

Good morning @skincaremaven . I use the PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads. I use Retin A several nights a week (RX strength) & apply to face, neck, chest and back of hands. I've used it for many decades. My face can take 4 times a week in warmer months, but I cut back to 3 in winter when my skin is drier. I also change to a little heavier moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tricolor wrote:

Even if I would consider any of my skincare products makeup optional, I would still wear makeup. I love wearing makeup and it adds color to my light- medium complexion. My birthday is next week and I will be 70. I do see that  as I age,  I prefer less coverage with my foundation. 

@Tricolor  Happy Birthday 🎂!  I'm 71 and  I agree. My skin is the best it's been and I could go w/o makeup, but then w/ silver hair and fair skin the only color on my face would be my still med. dark full brows and dark lashes. I do wear tinted moisturizer with an added spf (over my usual spf 50) & a cream blush & gloss for color. 

How can I NOT love makeup when it's my profession. I love applying a full face on myself on occasion, too, but always with a lighter hand and natural, neutral shades. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom : My former mother in law had beautiful pink, flawless skin into her 90s. No plant based diet for her. 
I was not blessed with good skin. Terrible acne as a teenager and flare ups for years. Large pores. Sun damage from years in the sun long before we ever heard of sunscreen. My current regimen has helped but can't override the years that came before. You're fortunate to have been blessed with good skin.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Yes and it includes what others have stated here:

*retinal product (ISOMERS's is amazing and what I use)

*Vit. C product (again ISOMERS)

*sunscreen (Dr. Gross spf50 or CdP spf50)

Because I'm so pale, the white cast that physical sunscreens give off makes for a perfect "foundation". I do the rest of my makeup (eyes and lips) pat a SMALL amount powder on (sometimes) and that's it. IF I use foundation, it's a tiny (size of a grain of rice) amount applied to even out or give a more "set" look (pictures, event such as a wedding, etc). 

@SahmIam   Like you, I'm almost ghostly fair...perfect for Halloween. In my 40's & 50's I was self concious and tried to wear bronzer and a brighter blush & lip. It looked like a clown in photos and one day said "the heck w/ this" and learned to accept my coloring. The almost black hair didn't help...Since going naturally silver/white, it's been a lot easier...less contrast. 

Honored Contributor

What exactly is makeup-optional skin?  For me, it's being comfortable with my skin, broken capillaries and all.  Do I look better with makeup on? Absolutely, in my opinion.  But, I'm comfortable enough with my skin that I only wear makeup for special occasions:  church, meeting friends for lunch, etc.  Many of those same people also see me without makeup because I skate with some and I don't wear makeup just to go to choir practice.  

Probably the best thing I did for my skin is to not wear makeup on a daily basis.  For most that's probably not an option and it wasn't for me when I was working.  Besides that, I have switched out products here and there throughout the years.  But, I wear a serum and moisturizer morning and night.  A year or so ago I added the PTR Retinol Fusion to my nighttime routine and I do feel like it gave my skin more clarity.