Contributor

Has anyone ever had a sun burned scalp?

We went to Disney World last October and I refused to wear a hat. I hate hats. I hate my head sweating and my hair getting flattened to my head... After a few hours the part in my hair was on fire! The next day I wore the hat!

With spring coming, I'm wondering what other people do about their scalp when they will be out in the sun for extended periods. I've tried putting my sunscreen in my hair and that is just a greasy mess! Is there a product for your scalp with a really good spf?

Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had a sun burned scalp?

I'm going to be watching for suggestions too! This has happened to me before and it's awful, especially when it starts to peel! Now I just pull my hair back into a ponytail to avoid it but surely there are other ideas.

Super Contributor

I always wear a SPF hat .
Respected Contributor

Wear a ponytail to begin with so that there isn't a part to burn or wear a hat. Vinegar is great for sunburns and promotes healing.

Honored Contributor

Yes, though not bad. My hair is think, thus if I don't cover my hair, my scalp will sunburn.

Honored Contributor

If your scalp is burning, you are getting a sunburn. Ouchie!!! Wear a hat and learn to tolerate it. Otherwise you could have sunstroke. The heat can really to damage to the brain if bad enough. I have had my scalp burn, blister and peel. Don't kid yourself, my friend got cancer on her scalp. She had a huge patch of scapl removed, treatment. It wasnt fun!

Super Contributor

Qvc sells a line of SPF hats.
Contributor

I usually do wear a ponytail but I have bangs and which causes a bit of a part. I'm also getting a little thin in spots. Do the spf hats make your head really hot and sweaty like baseball caps?

Respected Contributor

A good ole' fashioned straw hat that you can get anywhere will help greatly! I have a few sunscreen hats for being outside for long periods like the hours it takes to cut my lawn. It also shades your face, neck, shoulders, and ears! Remember that you can get a sunburn even on a cloudy day!

Respected Contributor

I wear a hat for the extra protection on my face (I'm very fair) but the spray sunscreens work well for the part in my hair when I don't.