Trusted Contributor

Has anyone ever had a gel manicure chip?

I have been getting gel nail polish for a bit now and have never had a problem with chipping no matter what I do around the house be it cooking, laundry, cleaning or ironing. Recently my salon lost four of its staff all at once and changed products from OPI to Vogue gel polish. One week ago I had my nails done and lo and behold my polish chipped. I filed it way down because it was significant. I am now considering changing salons.  No, I did not tell them what happened nor did I go in for a repair.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had a gel manicure chip?

@Deanie wrote:

I have been getting gel nail polish for a bit now and have never had a problem with chipping no matter what I do around the house be it cooking, laundry, cleaning or ironing. Recently my salon lost four of its staff all at once and changed products from OPI to Vogue gel polish. One week ago I had my nails done and lo and behold my polish chipped. I filed it way down because it was significant. I am now considering changing salons.  No, I did not tell them what happened nor did I go in for a repair.

We have the same problem at a local spa.  They always used Gelish products.  And most of their manicurists apply three coats.  The manicures lasted almost four weeks.  Recently, they switched products, and I can't remember the new name.  Not only do the colors look terrible, but they start chipping after a week or so.  I'm thinking about going to Sally's and purchasing my favorite Gelish polishes and taking them with me to my next appointment.  I have a standing appointment every three weeks.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I onlty get them when I go on vacation.  I had one recently and it lasted two weeks.  I do not know what brand the polish was.

Respected Contributor

I do not know if you are referring to a gel manicure that needs to be cured under a light or a manicure with gel polish.  Either way, I would have gone back to the salon and had the chip(s) fixed.

If you think it's the product, change salons.

Esteemed Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

I have always put acrylics on for over 20 years now.   I do everything also.  I do wear gloves when in the yard working but I have no chipping ever.  I have noticed all polish was at one time OPI and not anymore.  I think OPI is getting really high in price.  

Respected Contributor

Never had chipping.  They grow out but the orginal part is still as good as ever.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

I just started getting manicures after Easter. The manicurist used a product called Bio-Gel and then Esse Nail polish.  They did not last- chipping would occur sometimes as early as 2 days. I was going back every 3 weeks.  Finally gave up and had them removed. My nails are a mess- they were always thin but now much worse.  It is going to take me a couple of months to get them grown out and back to normal.   Never again!  If I want polish I will just apply it at home.  Sorry for the mini rant!  This seemed like a really nice salon but based on what others are saying there is no way I should have had so much trouble~

Respected Contributor

Years ago when gels came on the market, I started using them with great success. Then all of a sudden my polish would just lift off. Gave up on them and have not gone back. I did not the removal process either. That was too harsh on my nails.

Trusted Contributor

yes, occasionally I have had a few chips. My manicurist always takes care of it right away. No charge. Smiley Happy 

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

Yes I have regardless of what type of gel polish.  I've had OPI, Gelish, CND, DND Daisy and a few others.   All of them have chipped.  That's why I gave up gel polish over my natural nails.

I have an acrylic overlay on my natural nails and then gel polish because the polish lasts longer.  Out of all the brands my salon carries, I like the DND, OPI and Gelish the best.  CND, which is supposed to be the best gel polish, doesn't last even on my acrylic nails.

A salon I used to go to quit carrying OPI gel because they said people were having too many problems and didn't like it.