Respected Contributor

Has anyone else watched Wayne Goss video about SPF in foundation?

I myself don’t purchase foundation for the spf they advertise to be in any certain brand, but he did a video about this. He said it’s one of the biggest lies that beauty brands tell. He demonstrated how much product would have to be applied to give the protection as advertised. 

It was a funny video also when you see him applying the makeup. He does great videos and I enjoy him. It’s worth watching. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone else watched Wayne Goss video about SPF in foundation?

And I just watched a Consumer Reports video on facial sunscreens.  They said one teaspoon of sunscreen was required for your face and neck to achieve proper coverage, which aligns with what most derms recommend.  Yikes -- that would be a lot of foundation!

Respected Contributor

@RedRedHair  If you need a good chuckle, go watch it. 😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I mentioned something along these lines (how much sunscreen is needed) along with the amount of SPF is needed a number of months ago. No one applies anywhere near the required amount so people get a false sense of security. My comment seemed to fall on deaf ears. Another thing about facial sunscreen, I doubt anyone is reapplying throughout the day unless they’re at the beach, the pool, or out on a boat for the day.  ETA - this includes me too.  I know I don't apply anywhere close to enough on a daily basis, but I also know that my skin would probably be a royal mess in terms of breakouts and too greasy to hold any makeup if I were to use the recommended amount.

Trusted Contributor

You are so right @JeanLouiseFinch, regarding the amount of sunscreen needed. Haven’t seen the video but can imagine. When I read about people looking for sunscreen in foundation I know it's an illusion. I slather sunscreen on pretty heavy over face, neck, behind my neck, ears.

So far so good but living in the SW where we get strong sun pretty much all year, it's a definite requirement all year.

Honored Contributor

I always wear a sunscreen under makeup (or without makeup on no makeup days) but I don't reapply it OVER makeup during the day.  Does anyone do that?

I use a BB cream as my foundation and it supposedly has an SPF of 30 but I don't trust that it really does, and yes, I only use a few dots of it so even if it did contain the amount stated I wouldn't be using enough.

Regular Contributor

I watched it as you suggested, and his video "The Biggest Lie Makeup Companies Say" is brilliant. 

It's the damage from those awful UVA rays that shows up many years later.  When I was in my 40s, I saw my skin under one of those special lights (wood lamp???) and saw the damage I had done by not wearing sunscreen.  Now in my 60s, it's all coming to the surface. 

Respected Contributor

So how much sunscreen do you have to apply to get the amount of spf it claims to have.

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan@chiclet@RedRedHair@QueenDanceALot@Sadiesadie

The fluorescent lights in offices and schools caused me to have a continually darkening melasma even tho I was wearing a 60+ sunscreen and very opaque base during those years.👹

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My thing about sunscreen is all the chemicals in it that are known to be bad, even the ones marked for babies and children!

This information came out several years ago if anyone remembers. Now, it seems this info was only out for awhile with the FDA insuring "safety" but still unknown effects from longtime use.Did everyone forget? Was it swept under the rug like so many other "safe" ingredients?

The only ingredient that I know of that everyone seems to agree is totally safe from what I read is zinc oxide. This is actually what we used to use as lifeguards. It can be thick and white but they now have some that are more clear and can be blended in skin with lots of rubbing.

from this article by womenshealthmag.com, you will notice that titanium dioxide is "considered safe" by the FDA but one of the ingredients that is not known what long term effects are and the powder titanium dioxide is highly toxic

I do think skin cancer is very scary, but I also think scary chemical ingredients on our skin are scary too, esp. on our children.

Anyway for what its worth, here is the information-

"As the summer sun warms and waxes, protecting your skin from sunburn and UV damage should be a hot priority. While slathering your skin with the nearest SPF may seem like a keen idea, many sunscreens are loaded with some seriously questionable ingredients that can induce adverse effects on your skin and body, (i.e., allergic reactions, hormone disruption, and premature aging), and might even increase your cancer risk. However, experts agree that the sun is still your greatest risk. ("No one is walking around with sunscreen-induced cancer, but the sun is recognized by the FDA as a known carcinogen," says Kathy Fields, M.D., an assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the University of California at San Francisco, in the June 2012 issue of Women's Health.) Luckily, not all SPF products are harmful, and not all sunscreens are created equal. There are two categories: Physical sunscreen, or sunblock, contains natural minerals such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that cover the surface of skin to physically block or reflect broad spectrum of the sun's UVA and UVB rays. Unless you're using high-end physical SPF products, sunblock can be thick and messy to apply, sometimes leaving a white sheen and residue that can clog pores and require scrubbing and rubbing to remove

Chemical sunscreen, on the other hand, contains synthetic ingredients such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are absorbed into the skin to filter and absorb UV rays, effectively protecting deeper layers of skin. Because it is absorbed, chemical sunscreen can lead to skin irritation and other adverse reactions. Plus, the ingredients can generate cell-damaging free radicals when exposed to the sun.

To reap the benefits of sunscreen and sidestep the potential side effects, avoid these dubious ingredients before slathering up this summer:

6 SCARY SUNSCREEN INGREDIENTS

Oxybenzone This penetration enhancer (i.e., chemical that helps other chemicals penetrate the skin) undergoes a chemical reaction when exposed to UV rays. When oxybenzone is absorbed by your skin, it can cause an eczema-like allergic reaction that can spread beyond the exposed area and last long after you're out of the sun. Experts also suspect that oxybenzone disrupts hormones (i.e., mimics, blocks, and alters hormone levels) which can throw off your endocrine system. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 97 percent of Americans have this chemical circulating in our bodies, as it can accumulate more quickly than our bodies can get rid of it.

Octinoxate One of the most common ingredients found in sunscreens with SPF, octinoxate is readily absorbed by our skin and helps other ingredients to be absorbed more readily. While allergic reactions from octinoxate aren't common, hormone disruption is: the chemical's effects on estrogen can be harmful for humans and wildlife, too, should they come into contact with the chemical once it gets into water. Though SPF products are designed to protect skin from sun-induced aging, octinoxate may actually be a culprit for premature aging, as it produces menacing free radicals that can damage skin and cells.

Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate) Just like the vitamin A we eat, retinyl palmitate is an antioxidant. As an ingredient in sunscreen, it's function is to improve the product's performance against the aging effects of UV exposure, However, certain forms of vitamin A found in sun protection products—namely retinyl palmitate, a combination of retinol (vitamin A) and palmitic acid, an ingredient found in tropical plants such as palm and coconut—can be cause for concern. When exposed to the sun's UV rays, retinol compounds break down and produce destructive free radicals that are toxic to cells, damage DNA, and may lead to cancer. In fact, FDA studies have shown that retinyl palimitate may speed the development of malignant cells and skin tumors when applied to skin before sun exposure, so steer clear of skin sun products that harbor the stuff.

Homosalate This UV-absorbing sunscreen ingredient helps sunscreen to penetrate your skin. Once the ingredient has been absorbed, homosalate accumulates in our bodies faster than we can get rid of it, becomes toxic and disrupts our hormones.

Octocrylene When this chemical is exposed to UV light, it absorbs the rays and produces oxygen radicals that can damage cells and cause mutations. It is readily absorbed by your skin and may accumulate within your body in measurable amounts. Plus, it can be toxic to the environment.

Paraben Preservatives Associated with both acute and chronic side effects, parabens (butyl-, ethyl-, methyl-, and propyl-) can induce allergic reactions, hormone disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity. While butylparaben was reported to be non-carcinogenic in rats and mice, but it has been previously suspected that parabens and other chemicals in underarm cosmetics may contribute to the rising incidence of breast cancer.

edited to add-

All of these have been labeled safe by the FDA!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"