Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone else watched Wayne Goss video about SPF in foundation?

@SahmIam wrote:

I was told this almost 20 years ago by my dad's oncologist, by his dermatologist and by my dermatologist. He had a melanoma removed from his face and that was how the discussion began.

The fact is, we didn't have UVA/UVB back in the day so wearing sunscreen as a kid helped but didn't really do what we needed to protect our skin. My dad served in the Navy and being on ship was outside for hours; his skin showed the damage.They would slather the stuff on me but still I'd burn; now we know why.

In any event, all 3 told me this:

1) Physical over chemical, always (turns out I'm allergic to chemical SPF ingredients).

2) NEVER use spf in foundation or skincare; not stable, not enough as you need 1/4 tsp for your face and then add 1/4 tsp for neck and chest (that's what they told me).

3) Wear SPF EVERY DAY not matter what. Every. Day.

Been doing so ever since. If you think about it, what Wayne said is simply logical; 1/4 tsp of foundation is way too much for most on their face and the % of that being sunscreen is minuscule.

@SahmIam  Gotta love Wayne Goss. After all of “close calls” at the derm and biopsies, etc., I’ve always preached spf in foundation should not be a selling point. Not only is not enough, you don’t wear makeup on your ears, behind ears if short hair and back of neck or if wearing hair up. You also don’t wear makeup on your neck and chest. 

Thank you for your post Sahmlam. I’ve been preaching this here forever. 💕

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

This is such a huge issue for me....I have rosacea so it goes with the terrority that sunscreen is a MUST not something I can ignor.  The problem with many is that 1. they don't play well with foundations and once again I MUST wear foundation also LOL!  Currently I am using a IT foundation mixed with Revlon foundation and then IT's pressed powder foundation to finish/set.  Looks very nice and covers well....even got complimented on my "beautiful skin" a few days ago at the beauty salon LOL!!  If they only knew what I am hiding beneath the makeup.

I like hats with the UPF50 in them....and clothing also.  I admit I am big on spf as I have other skin issues that "tanning" or burning which is my case will cause even more suffering for me.  Everything from prickley heat rash....sun poisoning rash...to broken caps all over my neck/chest area just to name a few in addition to the rosacea.  

For my vitamin D I take a supplement....got carried away this yr and my labs just reported my levels to be 92!  Doc said back it down a little.  There is no need for me to get any vitamin d from directly laying in sun...so I use several different kinds of spf.  I first checked the ones they tested thur Consumers Reports that the spf level was actually verified to be accurate and picked 2 of those ones and they work great.  

I am concerned that when I hit my 60's who knows what "other" hidden skin damage issues will surface but I have friends that do NONE of the things I do and use something homemade called witches brew to tan as dark as possible while in the FL sunshine!  I admit I don't see any damage on them so if you got skin and genetics that can take it perhaps it doesn't really matter for them.  

@tsavorite  Your poor friends may, by some miracle dodge the cancer bullet, but not the wrinkling and spots/damage to the collagen from the sun. They’ll look like prunes in no time. 

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan. Wayne is so entertaining.. I did see this video. Love his approach and have learned a lot from him. So glad that he made this video.Especially for those women who still think that SPF in foundation is sufficient coverage, this should have been very helpful. I really do apply the correct amount of SPF to my face. Can't imagine applying that much foundation. Which brings me around to my pet peeve! IT Cosmetics always claims that they have SPF 50 in their foundations so you are covered using this. False claim!  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, I do start out the day putting on the appropriate amount. My skin is very dry so once my makeup goes overtop, I don't look like a grease ball. However, I don't apply throughout the day. I know there are powders out there to apply over top of makeup but I am afraid that they would dry me out. Wished someone could come up with an all day sunscreen that truly would give 8 hours or more of protection.

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite, sun damage does take years to show up. Give it time and your friends will see the damage that accumulated. I am almost 70 and I still have friends who spend as much time in the sun with an SPF of 15. They spend their winters in Florida a few months of the year. Well yesterday I had to go to a funeral and they were all of there. We were all up close and personal with each other hugging and crying. I couldn't believe how much sun damage they all have now. The texture of their skin is rough with a lot of wrinkles. I know that I also have aging skin from my younger years in the sun and of course just the normal aging process. I will do whatever I can to prevent it from getting worse. 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, I do start out the day putting on the appropriate amount. My skin is very dry so once my makeup goes overtop, I don't look like a grease ball. However, I don't apply throughout the day. I know there are powders out there to apply over top of makeup but I am afraid that they would dry me out. Wished someone could come up with an all day sunscreen that truly would give 8 hours or more of protection.

@Tricolor  Unless you’re actually out in the sun (on the beach, sightseeing, etc.), I think reapplication is overkill. If I know I’ll be inside/outside during the day in summer, I use a waterproof (sweat proof) spf formula. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

This is such a huge issue for me....I have rosacea so it goes with the terrority that sunscreen is a MUST not something I can ignor.  The problem with many is that 1. they don't play well with foundations and once again I MUST wear foundation also LOL!  Currently I am using a IT foundation mixed with Revlon foundation and then IT's pressed powder foundation to finish/set.  Looks very nice and covers well....even got complimented on my "beautiful skin" a few days ago at the beauty salon LOL!!  If they only knew what I am hiding beneath the makeup.

I like hats with the UPF50 in them....and clothing also.  I admit I am big on spf as I have other skin issues that "tanning" or burning which is my case will cause even more suffering for me.  Everything from prickley heat rash....sun poisoning rash...to broken caps all over my neck/chest area just to name a few in addition to the rosacea.  

For my vitamin D I take a supplement....got carried away this yr and my labs just reported my levels to be 92!  Doc said back it down a little.  There is no need for me to get any vitamin d from directly laying in sun...so I use several different kinds of spf.  I first checked the ones they tested thur Consumers Reports that the spf level was actually verified to be accurate and picked 2 of those ones and they work great.  

I am concerned that when I hit my 60's who knows what "other" hidden skin damage issues will surface but I have friends that do NONE of the things I do and use something homemade called witches brew to tan as dark as possible while in the FL sunshine!  I admit I don't see any damage on them so if you got skin and genetics that can take it perhaps it doesn't really matter for them.  

@tsavorite- You mentioned your friends use a homemade "witches brew" to make them tan darker while in Florida.  Do they use babyoil in their concoction or what ingredients?  This sounds like what we all did in the 80's to tan, but now the thought of lying in the sun with babyoil makes me cringe!  So not good for you!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I wish I could remember....my friend said her sister makes it...uses a brew of several different oils to rub on to get the darkest tan possible.  I don't know if this is something the sister made up out of thin air or when she moved to FL the locals there shared it with her.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@San Antonio Gal  I wish I could remember....my friend said her sister makes it...uses a brew of several different oils to rub on to get the darkest tan possible.  I don't know if this is something the sister made up out of thin air or when she moved to FL the locals there shared it with her.  

@tsavorite  We used to add iodine to the oil to get that reddish brown stain. We were so stupid!!