Occasional Contributor

Has anyone else embraced their dark circles?

Although I'm still young I find that all makeup looks terrible under my eyes. No moisturiser, primer, concealer, powder, etc. looks the way i want it to. I'd rather look tired than dehydrated and wrinkly with every fine line showing. And like I said, I'm young (28). So I've just decided to embrace the dark circles because I have a demanding career and I think I've earned them. Thoughts?

Side note, the more I see people wearing gobs of makeup (instagram makeup in real life) the more I find myself liking my appearance with out it. Almost like a reverse effect..

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone else embraced their dark circles?

JoNikki, I bet that people on this board will have lots of solutions that will minimize the look of dark circles if you want to do that.

I think disguising them is fine; but I'll also tell you something weird.  That's one feature that I find kind of interesting, on both women and men.  To me, it gives an interesting, sort of intellectual look, as though you stayed up all night drinking espresso and arguing philosophy with friends...  "Shadows" are mysterious...

I also think crows feet around eyes look great!  Evidence of laughter, I guess!   Think of some windswept Ralph Lauren male or female model, beautifully cut hair, healthy, casually but nicely dressed...  and with gray strands and strategic lines in their faces--  I can't help it, I like that...

Of course, I'm a lot older than you, so there may be some self-consolation going on with my preferences for signs of aging or living, ha!

Trusted Contributor

I've  tried different products,  but like you it seams to me it makes it look worst. At my age (62) I think I  look younger  with less makeup.  Little powder,  rosy cheeks,  eyebrows, and lip gloss.  Nothing settling in my lines.

Esteemed Contributor

good for you.....just imagine how much money you will have saved once you get to be my age...which is 67....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm young too and I've been using a good eye cream since I was 20 and now I apply retinol to prevent any lines or dark circles.

I would suggest going to a dermatologist to get a prescription for Retin A or to just use a good retinol product, which is supposed to make skin thicker so the dark circles are not as noticeable. A derm can also suggest other options.

If that is the only thing that bothers you about your appearance, I would try to resolve it. It might be an easier fix than you think. There have been a lot of advancements with laser etc. that might be able to solve the problem or at least make it much less noticeable.

Dark circles usually get worse with age so it's best to address it as early as possible. My sibling has had them since childhood so it's much harder to treat them since they are genetic. If yours are due to lifestyle IMO it's possible to treat them much more easily. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

No, I have not yet embraced my dark circles.  They aren't severe, but they've been worse lately.  I put concealer over them, but they still show because I don't want to use too much concealer (for the reasons you mentioned).

One thing I've learned is that peach and yellow correctors are not for me.  If there are any on the market that would work well for my skin tone, I haven't found them.  I've found that a little white to brighten the darkest areas works better than the peach or yellow correctors for me.

But--even with the white--I can still see them.  It's not even the circles that bother me as much as the fact that when I try to brighten the inner corner of my eye, it draws attention to the darkness under my eyes and makes it look worse.  I really like that inner corner brightness, but I won't do it if it's going to make me look more tired.

I guess part of the reason I won't embrace the dark circles is that I see them as visual reminders of my current health problems (I did not have much of a problem with them previously).  So I don't feel good about having earned them.  I feel ill, but I don't want to look ill.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

@JoNikki, It is the trying to hard thing, it makes anything look worse.Everyone has  flaws , not as bad as we imagine .Some others don't see, but annoy us.Hate globs of make up.It ages anyone.Better to accept this as part of who you are. You are smart to notice  the trying to hide things mistake. No body is perfect and if they look like  it they are photoshopped! I anm sure you are beautiful as is! Maryanne 

Respected Contributor

A282372 is the answer to all your dark circle problems

Just received this today and tried it out and OMG!  my dark circles are completely gone!!!!

Trusted Contributor

JoNikki, i don't wear makeup, but i do apply undereye concealer. so no - i have not embraced my dark circles. i keep them 2 arm lengths away as much as possible! 

Respected Contributor

@JoNikki ...  No, I can't embrace them!  I'm 63.  Have always had dark circles, and concealer makes a world of difference in how I look.  When I look better, I feel better.  So far, Bye Bye Under Eye is the best I've found for me.  I use it under my eyes, and use whatever is still on my had to dab over a few darker spots. I don't usually wear foundation, but do wear blush, eyeshadow, and eyeliner.  

Years ago, when I was still young and looking for a job, and wearing almost no makeup, I was advised by a career counselor to use concealer.  She was right.  

As for you, it's a personal decision.  Embrace the decision you've made!