Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought prescription progressive eye wear online?

On 7/7/2014 snickster said:
On 7/7/2014 Emilymark said: I would love to try this, but when you order them online who does the fitting? When I get my glasses they usually have to be adjusted and bent around a bit so that they fit right on my face. They usually heat them up to bend them. How are you able to get glasses that don't need adjustments?

This is also my question; how do you get the correct fit on your face? Where I go now, if any time I need them adjusted, I just stop in and they take care of it on the spot. I just don't understand how this will work. I too, would love the savings, but am hesitant about the fine tuning. TIA for any input regarding this.

You buy your size, just like when you buy clothes or shoes. The sites give the measurements of all the glasses. You don't necessarily need an exact size, just within a few mm. Look inside the temple of glasses you own. Usually the lens width, bridge size, and temple size are printed there.

Frequent Contributor

On 7/7/2014 snickster said:
On 7/7/2014 Emilymark said: I would love to try this, but when you order them online who does the fitting? When I get my glasses they usually have to be adjusted and bent around a bit so that they fit right on my face. They usually heat them up to bend them. How are you able to get glasses that don't need adjustments?

This is also my question; how do you get the correct fit on your face? Where I go now, if any time I need them adjusted, I just stop in and they take care of it on the spot. I just don't understand how this will work. I too, would love the savings, but am hesitant about the fine tuning. TIA for any input regarding this.

If you need adjustments, you can bring them to any eye store for an adjustment - like Cohens or LensCrafters. They give you their speech that they are not liable for any damage to the frame but I've never had a problem. Some stores charge a small fee, some don't.

Frequent Contributor

On 7/7/2014 just bee said:
On 7/7/2014 bklyngrl said:

I ordered my first pair on line last year from Costal.com. They had a promotion first pair free for a certain range. I wound up ordering what I really needed instead - rx progressive sunglasses - I got the frame free and wound up paying only $169!! I loved it. My rx is large and usually not included in any company's "free" promotions. In 2012 I paid over $800 for a new pair of Rx progressives, transitions and frame so I was more than pleased.

I'm jealous of those who can get a great pair online. I had looked at Zenni and fell in love with all their cat's eye frames, so it's probably best if I avoid them. I can't believe the cost of eyeglasses. After my "discount" from my vision insurance, I still paid $700 for my new pair. When I moved to New Mexico there was some weird law -- a person couldn't get their prescription from the eye doctor. Absurd! I'd always had a little piece of paper in my purse with my prescription so I'd be able to shop anywhere for different frames.

Finally, twenty years later, I'm in my doctor's place looking at frames and I noticed someone at the counter asking for his prescription. I finally have a little piece of paper again.

I'm seriously considering trying an online frame.

I'm just afraid I'll order something from the Far Side.

Just bee.. I was thinking the same thing.. some shape or color I'd never normally wear. Some of the frames are $50 and my lenses are so much cheaper - for that price I was thinking of taking a chance. I've never had cat eye frames and was looking at them and thought, why not they are so cheap.. I figured if I didn't like them then I'd just wear them in the house.. I'm always falling asleep with my glasses on so this way if I fell asleep with these and they got bent out of shape no big deal.

Honored Contributor

On 7/7/2014 just bee said:

I ordered my first pair on line last year from Costal.com. They had a promotion first pair free for a certain range. I wound up ordering what I really needed instead - rx progressive sunglasses - I got the frame free and wound up paying only $169!! I loved it. My rx is large and usually not included in any company's "free" promotions. In 2012 I paid over $800 for a new pair of Rx progressives, transitions and frame so I was more than pleased.

I'm jealous of those who can get a great pair online. I had looked at Zenni and fell in love with all their cat's eye frames, so it's probably best if I avoid them. I can't believe the cost of eyeglasses. After my "discount" from my vision insurance, I still paid $700 for my new pair. When I moved to New Mexico there was some weird law -- a person couldn't get their prescription from the eye doctor. Absurd! I'd always had a little piece of paper in my purse with my prescription so I'd be able to shop anywhere for different frames.

Finally, twenty years later, I'm in my doctor's place looking at frames and I noticed someone at the counter asking for his prescription. I finally have a little piece of paper again.

I'm seriously considering trying an online frame.

I'm just afraid I'll order something from the Far Side.

Just bee.. I was thinking the same thing.. some shape or color I'd never normally wear. Some of the frames are $50 - for that price I was thinking of taking a chance. I've never had cat eye frames and was looking at them and thought, why not they are so cheap.. I figured if I didn't like them then I'd just wear them in the house.. I'm always falling asleep with my glasses on so this way if I fell asleep with these and they got bent out of shape no big deal.

I'd been wearing a modified cat's eye frame from Versace and just started wearing another modified cat's eye from Tiffany. I prefer the Versace frames -- unbeatable comfort.

But some of those cat's eye frames online fascinate me. I wore fun frames in the 80s, but they were cheap back then! Now they're a major investment.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your responses to my question. I appreciate it.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Just to report back ... I received my glasses from Zenni and I am very pleased with the quality. I received sunglasses, reading glasses and progressives. The only thing I would say to be cautious of is the color of the nose pieces. Sometimes they don't match the glasses, so make sure you zoom in on the product page to see if you like the complete look before ordering.

Honored Contributor

I am 60 years old and very lucky that I can read without glasses, but I do need them for distance vision (driving) for my left eye. My right eye is outfitted with a medical contact lens to smooth and correct my damaged cornea.

I have purchased single vision lenses from Zenni many times and was pleased. Last Saturday night, I ordered a pair of glasses from Goggle4u.com and paid less than $15 dollars for them.

I haven't received them yet, but I am hopeful that they will work for me.

Respected Contributor

How do they determine where the progressive part of the prescription starts? I have had problems before when purchasing glasses where the progressive transition is located too high on the lens. They had to send them back to be remade. Is that the PD measurement?

Respected Contributor

On 7/30/2014 Allegheny said:

How do they determine where the progressive part of the prescription starts? I have had problems before when purchasing glasses where the progressive transition is located too high on the lens. They had to send them back to be remade. Is that the PD measurement?

PD is pupil distance from the bridge of you nose. Since we are rarely exactly the sam on both sides, the distances for each eye can be slightly different. I looked at the Zennioptical.com sight just briefly & noticed the have FAQs about fitting, so you might check there. I also wear bifocals & will have to check that myself when I have more time. I did find some really cool frames at awesome prices.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a pair of progressives from Costco----$300. I just bought from Zenni for about $100., same prescription strengths. And I am satisfied.